[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

On 29.12.2015 at 9:05 PM, RoverDude said:

I am doing this update in a few phases because of the changes involved.  This one pretty much covers the core logic and basic supply stuff.  Recyclers will be next, but necessitate some new parts - note that when that hits, your consumption rate will jump to 15 supplies per day until you slap on a recycler (good) or get to a reliable water source (better). 

Hey RoverDude, I have a few missions currently in planning. Does this change mean that it will cut all current mission durations by a factor of 15? Is there any way to prepare for that? Or is the only way to get all Kerbals back.

Also, is there a timeframe for this change?

As always, all of this stuff can be tweaked via the settings file, so for folks using the mod now, they can plunk the values back down until they update their save.

@blu3wolf - let me know if your issue persists once Kerbals have a rest stop back at Kerbin to reset the clock.  Seems the update wrecked a little havoc with existing missions, but based on the other posters, looks to sort itself out once vessels are cycled and crew get in supply again.

My issue is now sorted. Following a mission the kerbals were not recovered along with the ship, and a variety of ships were being tracked for life support that did not have crew. When I went through and fixed the sfs to set my crew back to available, I also cleared out those ships from the life support scenario. Issue hasnt come back since then. Im not convinced the crew disappearing on recovery is your mods fault, as I am running quite the plethora at present.

5 minutes ago, KerbMav said:

Is the latest version still experimental - as you have not updated the first post/thread title?

More like Roverdude is very busy working on many mods and probably could use an admin assistant to keep all of the other bits up to date (forum titles, OP details etc).

Rover, while I undertand the updates are not complete and many of the features are still to come, I've noticed something weird while testing the ones that I -think- are supposed to be working correctly already. My apologies if I'm wrong on that.

I noticed that, if there are no supplies on a vessel, the EVA time keeps going up, even while a kerbal is inside that vessel. Sending the kerbal back in the vessel and back out doesn't reset the number. This can be seen on a previous post of yours.
So, right now the EVA duration number is acting the same as the "supplies".
7603aed0b2.png

The EVAEffect isn't taking place either. Kerbals won't die (5) or become tourists (1) after the time limit has passed. I'm assuming this bit hasn't been fully implemented yet?

Whether there's something wrong or not, I couldn't understand exactly the difference between the Home and the Rest systems. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Kowgan

On 1/2/2016 at 11:17 AM, akron said:

Valentina was bugged for me in the last version. After the new patch, I had to place her in a vehicle with fresh supplies before she was "fixed." I got the message that she got back to work. I just played it off as a KSC picnic. I took all the grounded Kerbals out with food to "reset" their values. :)

@RoverDudeBob was touristized for me and simply putting him in a ship with supplies onto the launchpad solved the problem.

Yup, I found it. The new patch fixed the tourist issue. I changed the values so Vets are immune. Thanks!

What values and where did you do this?

Ideas for homesickness / boredom

• Being in the same vessel ID for too long would increase it
  • Being in the same part type for too long would increase it, so you could move kerbals from part to part to provide a bit of variety, but only if you have different type parts
  • EVAs might reduce boredom by some amount (based on length?)
  • XP events reduce boredom (planting flag on new body, etc.)
  • Busy kerbals have less boredom
  • Some interiors are just more boring then others?

So, I've been experimenting with a combination of DERP Supply Bags (filled with 25 units of tasty kerbal treats) and the UKS Kerbitrail Docking Port.  The DP is small enough to be carried on the Kerbal's back using KIS (status will say "carried"), so I don't have to lug around the SC-62 (which is big, bulky and heavy).

The steps for rescuing a kerbal who refuses to work due to USI-LS is now:

1. EVA and slap the DERP supply bag on the stricken vessel.  Feeding frenzy ensues, but kerbal will still refuse to work.
  2. EVA and attach the Kerbitrail docking port.
  3. Return to rescue vessel and dock with Kerbitrail.  Since the Kerbitrail docking port is "size1" and androgynous, the regular Clamp-o-tron variants (shielded, mk1, etc.) will work just fine.
  4. As soon as docking completes, kerbal in stricken craft will return to active duty
  5. In general, CLS will not allow transfer of the kerbal between vessels (not 100% sure why), so have to EVA to move the stranded kerbal over to the rescue vessel.
  6. If there was no existing crew hatch on the stricken vessel, then undock and move just far enough to allow stricken vessel kerbal to EVA via the newly attached Kerbitrail docking port
  7. EVA again and detach Kerbitrail from stricken vessel and stow in SC-62 container

Pretty sure that I'm using USI-LS_0.2.1.0 when I last tested that.

12 minutes ago, WuphonsReach said:

Ideas for homesickness / boredom

• Being in the same vessel ID for too long would increase it
  • Being in the same part type for too long would increase it, so you could move kerbals from part to part to provide a bit of variety, but only if you have different type parts
  • EVAs might reduce boredom by some amount (based on length?)
  • XP events reduce boredom (planting flag on new body, etc.)
  • Busy kerbals have less boredom
  • Some interiors are just more boring then others?

My only concern is having mechanics that require me to manually move kerbals around within a craft (or base etc).  If you start having missions all over the place, the act of having to manually move kerbals around gets tedious.  I think it would be fair to say if you have a craft that has sufficient living quarters, your kerbals are able to move around "automatically" to keep their homesickness down.

On 1/3/2016 at 3:18 PM, blu3wolf said:

My issue is now sorted. Following a mission the kerbals were not recovered along with the ship, and a variety of ships were being tracked for life support that did not have crew. When I went through and fixed the sfs to set my crew back to available, I also cleared out those ships from the life support scenario. Issue hasnt come back since then. Im not convinced the crew disappearing on recovery is your mods fault, as I am running quite the plethora at present.

How did you manage to remove the zero crew vessels from the overview? It was empty after the last update, however once I make an empty vessel active, or have it "loaded" it stays on the overview. Kinda lost on what causes that.

I opened my persistence file with a text editor and played god with its contents.

If you try this and it fails, do not blame me for screwing your save!

All I did was go to the SCENARIO section which was LifeSupport, find the entry which was the vessel, and deleted it from the list.

Unfortunately Im having the same issue still, I have now got a bunch of zero crew vessels again. Just have to make it active for it to stay on the list.

That's exactly what I see. The list was empty when I installed the new version, then I moved a drone tug from an empty station and the station has been on the list ever since it was loaded.

And persistence editing is fun. (if you make a copy first...) ;)

Edited by Snarfster

3 hours ago, blu3wolf said:

If you try this and it fails, do not blame me for screwing your save!

That's why the gods invented version control (and diff for seeing what changed between revisions).

<-- version controls his entire KSP folder into SVN

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.