Master Thread: Cannot Activate While Stowed!

We do have a line of communication with the devs, and I know they lurk the forums (which is part of why this is stuck). This is why I suggest posting about the problems and solutions for threads like this. But at the end of the day, the developers are the developers and they make their own decisions with the time they have.

Now that they are back, have you heard from them regarding this bug?

I've gotten this bug as well in my modded install with solar panels. However, I discovered that if I switched vessels and came back, the panels would deploy. (Thank you RemoteTech! :P)

Game Ver. 1.0.2

Hope this helps!

Now that they are back, have you heard from them regarding this bug?

I have not heard any official rumblings about this bug.

You must be talking about the Orbiter forums because they don't post on the official forums.

Lurking is not the same as posting.

I've gotten this bug as well in my modded install with solar panels. However, I discovered that if I switched vessels and came back, the panels would deploy. (Thank you RemoteTech! :P)

Yeah, this is one of the ways to fix it. Basically anything that causes a scene change (going to KSC, switching vessels, quicksave/quickload). That causes the fairing check to reset, which resets things that were previously hidden inside fairings.

Cheers,

~Claw

I dont know if this has already been stated somewhere in this thread, or if this is even a bug, but if I detach something inside a farring (so that I have a spacecraft inside the farring, 'bouncing' about) I cannot activate any engines on the craft, because it is "stowed".

This seems to be somewhat related. My air intakes became occluded by a service bay mid-flight.

Video:

As you can see the service bay doors bumped my intakes when opening and when the doors were closed my intakes became occluded.

Ksp Version: v1.02.842 Win 7 64 bit

Mods: Just Kerbal Engineer and Chatterer

Craft File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6z65p1ep3auk6rq/Service%20bay%20bug.craft?dl=0

Steps to Replicate:

-Launch the craft file and open/close service bay doors mid flight

-Air intakes should become occluded(may need to revert to launch once or twice as this does not happen 100% of the time)

Should I submit this to the bug tracker?

Not sure if this was already mentioned:

When i stage my fairings together with the decoupler seperating those from the engine above, the engine doesnt ignite. Never used interstageFairing, so it only appears for the upper stage. Also never tested it with any other engine then the LV404 LF Engine or whatever it is called now.

I haven't updated to 1.0.3 yet. Has anybody tested to see if this was fixed with the latest version?

I don't believe it was fixed, but haven't confirmed that myself.

Cheers,

~Claw

I hadn't seen anything close to it in the change log either, haven't had time to test and confirm myself. Otherwise isn't that fantastic. Bug, easily reproducible, with stock, a sticky on their own forum, and after 2 months nobody cared to fix it. SQUAD is getting more and more worthless with each passing release.

build id = 00861

2015.06.23 at 17:19:17 CEST

Branch: master

Windows 7 64bit, standard Steam install of KSP.

This happened after the fairing was removed. The engines are symmetrical but only one got the blockade. The fairing separated correctly, no problem with pieces getting stuck or hitting anything. The engines were a separate stage after the fairing (which was together with a separator, to be recovered with the launch stage.

CTPBbUw.jpg

Craft file

Has someone mentioned yet that ablators are used up while stowed?

I'm not sure if anyone has, but there's certainly a bit of irony there eh? :)

Thanks for the additional info!

Cheers,

~Claw

• 1 month later...

I've identified another manifestation of this bug, and this builds off of the intake occlusion behavior noticed by Clouds, and is related to the phenomenon Ferram was concerned about when Harvester first posted the explanation of how cargo bay occlusion now works (with regards to part centroids ending up clipped or flexed into cargo bays and making the entire part occluded). When wing parts are too close to the cargo bay, specifically it seems when the part centroid is flush against the external side of the cargo bay, the wing part is considered occluded, and produces no lift. Open the cargo bay, and the wing part works. This does not seem to depend on if the wings are on the door side of the bay or not, and seems to be a problem with cargo bays in general. I first noticed this problem with Nertea's Mk IV mod, when wing pieces too close to his tail cargo ramp did not produce lift (my post here). That might be a more complicated problem related to possibly wonky geometry in the mod, as it does not require the wing parts to clip into the bay at all, but I was able to produce similar/related behavior in a completely clean stock install of KSP 1.4, with both Mk2 and Mk3 cargo bays.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This suggests that part activation problems while apparently stowed (but not actually stowed) are really a problem with cargo bay occlusion. I don't know if it's a problem in computing centroid distance, or if it's a raycasting problem. Moving the wings a bit away from the bay does make the occlusion go away, so it's only when the wings are sort of in a gray area that this comes up. It does not have to be wing pieces attached to the bay, or to a parent part, rather wings part of a totally different branch of parts that have flexed too close to the bay also get occluded (which is exactly what Ferram predicted would happen with the new occlusion code). Wing parts do seem to have it better than engines or intakes, though, whose centroids don't even have to be close to the cargo bay for the part to be occluded. But this behavior does include wings--it's not just engines, parachutes, and intakes. And when wings that are expected to produce lift don't do anything... Bad Things happen.

Edited by alphaparrot324

Anytime I have a cluster of engines at the back of my spaceplanes, I add a cargo bay to them, as a fairing. The engines are facing the open area. Even if the nozzles of the engines are outside the cargo bay, I still get that stowed bug. If the engines are not attached to the cargo bay, but their nozzle is inside them, I still get it. Surprisingly, with very long engines (NERVA) if the nozzle is outside, and the engine is not attached to the cargo bay, wich acts like a ring around it, I don't get the bug. So than, I won't have engines at the end of my plane, I rather attach hem radially. But if those radially attached engines clip a very little into the main cargo bay, I can't use them: engine stowed.

• 2 weeks later...

ed028de98f5d4f9d.png

The rotors(from Firespitter) in the back cannot be activated. front ones work well.

But if I remove all the things like BDA missiles or so, they come back again.

--update--

9e7094dd9a6cc01d.png

removed the missiles and the battery, no helps

Edited by 01010101lzy

• 2 weeks later...

Also having the stowed issue with Mk3 cargo bay:

I have boosters placed with symmetry in BigS wings close (not that close) to a cargo bay, and the right boosters do not fire because they are "stowed".

O0nVcBb.png

kR9GFkR.png

qhSYIqA.png

The craft file can be found here. The craft is entirely stock, but I'm using Ven's Revamp, so some parts may appear differently than in the screenshots (also using the Stock Bug Fix Modules).

The craft as it is in the craft file does not have the stowed issue: move the boosters around on the wings, and it will appear.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.