Am I the only one who things the Big Four are overrated?

FishInferno

Welllll, I mostly just use them because they're free, once I get pretty well along in career I like to put them in a station or base where all the other astronauts can hang out with the original pioneers, if they've survived that long. In this game only jebediah is left, and that's only because he's stuck in solar orbit right now...

They are the four main ones for a reason. Bill Bob and Jeb are the original Kerbals before non-orange suited kerbals even existed. Valentina is special because she is the first female Kerbal.

I am not sure how this would make them overrated but I usually try to play with Non-orange suits and put the orange suits in a command space station or something to keep then in play but out of the way.

It simply presents an added incentive to gameplay... try to keep the orange-suited heroes alive as long as possible and level them up as high as you can. The other ordinary kerbals are basically cannon fodder and can be dispensed with without a second thought.

I wrote a mod to completely remove them from the game and rename Kerbals to something other than "Kerman". Because that really hacks me off for some reason.

I get a strong feeling I must always keep those 4 alive, so they end up not straying too far away from kerbin..

same here, they're PR figures for the program by now. Can't have them die, would be bad for the public image.

I agree, except I still use Valentina because she is still new to me. I normally fire them immediately and get new ones but in 1.0 I found out hiring is expensive so I guess I'm stuck with them for now. If that is how it's gonna be they should let you choose your first 3 Kerbals so you can actually care about them.

I usualy build them a "house" by orbital drop, so they can chill on beatifull places I can find on kerbin. Like on shores or on mountains. Then I bring them there by plane and do other things. When some critical missions comes up, I sent a kerbal gather them.

This way they are like super important :cool:

It simply presents an added incentive to gameplay... try to keep the orange-suited heroes alive as long as possible and level them up as high as you can. The other ordinary kerbals are basically cannon fodder and can be dispensed with without a second thought.

I play the same way.

Use the original 4 at the beginning.

Once I start making experimental ships it's time to bring in the rookies.

I always send the main players to new planets though for the XP. It's always on a proven ship to make sure they don't splat on Kerbin.

I figure if something goes wrong in outer space that's the danger of the job. You can't have a hero die on a launch though.

"We've never lost a Jeb in space, we're sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option." - Gene Kerman

"What about Bill and Bob?"

"Mistakes were made."

I usually somehow end up losing Bill or Bob during an iteration of a save, but never my precious Jeb. And if they're not wearing an orange suit it may as well be red.

I myself only think Jeb is overrated. Bill and Bob are fine for me. Val, she seems a bit... shoe-horned, but I still tolerate her. (Actually she's been stealing Jeb's role recently)

..I feel the same. I like Bill and Bob better, since they're more innocent and less known.. I just think Jeb is a bit too famed.

The orange-suits get special treatment in RoverDude's USI Life Support mod -- unlike other Kerbals, they don't go "on strike" if they're hungry. According to RoverDude, they're just that awesome. So I guess that means they do deserve their fame. :)

I wrote a pretty long post some time ago about how I thought Jebediah (and by extension, now Valentina) is the most important Kerbal in KSP. TL;DR, Jeb and Val represent the player. Notice how Jeb/Val have built up a following; they have a personality in a game where their only defining feature is that they have bads=yes. Jeb and Val represent the player because as the rocket is launching, we aren't scared or worried, we are (hopefully) having a great time doing so. Landed on Mun? Super Big Smile. Burning through the atmosphere? Super Big Smile. Huge Explosion? Super Big Smile. Perfectly executed Hohman Transfer? Super Big Smile. Completely botched staging event? Super Big Smile.

Jebediah and Valentina are the closest one gets to having a player avatar. As such, I tend to play with them pretty often :P. The others... well I don't care that much for them :P.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.