Space Shuttle Pack for ksp 1.0.4 dev thread

Mike-NZ

Did the actual shuttle use a docking cam?

Its a guess but I think so yes.

- - - Updated - - -

Here you can clearly see the docking alignment indicator. So I want to implement that at the exact location. The MFD on the left I want to use for the RPM docking cam.

348984main_cockpit_full_full.jpg

I have the idea to create realistic MFD's for the new IVA. This means that it is not possible anymore to get the docking cam or alignment indicator on the cockpit MFD's. I want to place a kerbal with two MFD's (with docking cam) in front of the backwindows so you can only dock using this kerbal and looking trough the back/up windows. What do you guys think of this?

That is some great detail and realism! Let me know how I can help.

Also I have an enterprise on the way, set to be the first unlockable shuttle setup in ksp. Designed simple and possibly only launchable on the back of an aircraft as a gameplay feature to add to gradual entry to the shuttle program.

Textured and modeled with its nose aerial aswell.

Also a thaught... unlockable textures, columbia, then challenger etc... like the mechjeb modules... as you progress through the tech tree

Who is keen on this idea? Let me know

- - - Updated - - -

Its a guess but I think so yes.

- - - Updated - - -

Here you can clearly see the docking alignment indicator. So I want to implement that at the exact location. The MFD on the left I want to use for the RPM docking cam.

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/images/348984main_cockpit_full_full.jpg

Oh my god that is insane! Where is this pic from?

Edited by Mike-NZ

CSS full update 7_PRE there is

CRAFT!!

THANK YOU

? I dont think I put a craft file in there but when the good release comes out it will have one. This weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

To keep things realistic should I incorporate tac life support? What is a realistic time in space. .. a few days at most...

I like the idea of having to launch Enterprise from the back of an aircraft, but I don't know if people will have the patience to build a craft capable of carrying it. I definitely don't. Are there any existing mods that have large aircraft like that?

? I dont think I put a craft file in there but when the good release comes out it will have one. This weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

To keep things realistic should I incorporate tac life support? What is a realistic time in space. .. a few days at most...

I think this should be optional.

That is some great detail and realism! Let me know how I can help.

Also I have an enterprise on the way, set to be the first unlockable shuttle setup in ksp. Designed simple and possibly only launchable on the back of an aircraft as a gameplay feature to add to gradual entry to the shuttle program.

Textured and modeled with its nose aerial aswell.

Also a thaught... unlockable textures, columbia, then challenger etc... like the mechjeb modules... as you progress through the tech tree

Who is keen on this idea? Let me know

- - - Updated - - -

Oh my god that is insane! Where is this pic from?

Based on a documentary i watched there was 4 generations of shuttles. We had the Enterprise prototype. Then there was Columbia and Challenger which where more science oriented and did not have docking modules off the line. These shuttles had a bigger science role and also where planned to have the spacelab module. When the Daedalus project (later the ISS) project was approved Discovery and Atlantis had docking modules (to dock with mir at the time) and had more of a "space truck" mindset. Some lighter materials where used in its construction they learned after building the first 2. Endeavor was the last to be built (replacing challenger) which had the best of all the shuttles. Endeavor was the newest and as such implemented corrections to later determined flaws in the earlier shuttles. As all of the shuttles got upgrades to be comparable to the rest each and every one had some minor differences and got built in different time frames where the government had different roles for them. In conclusion this can be the case with the shuttles tech tree. You can start with enterprise launch from the 747 and land. Move into more science based missions with Challenger and Columbia, Discovery and Atlantis start launching satellites, probes and docking with things finally moving into endeavor which was built in a time ISS construction was the priority of the shuttle program.

As each shuttle had a name they also had unique numbers.

OV-102 Columbia, OV-099 Challenger, OV-103 Discovery, OV-104 Atlantis, and OV-105 Endeavour

From wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle

Orbiter add-ons

The orbiter could be used in conjunction with a variety of add-ons depending on the mission. This included orbital laboratories (Spacelab, Spacehab), boosters for launching payloads farther into space (Inertial Upper Stage, Payload Assist Module), and other functions, such as provided by Extended Duration Orbiter, Multi-Purpose Logistics Modules, or Canadarm (RMS). An upper stage called Transfer Orbit Stage (Orbital Science Corp. TOS-21) was also used once.[50] Other types of systems and racks were part of the modular Spacelab system â€â€pallets, igloo, IPS, etc., which also supported special missions such as SRTM.

You guys are doing great work and i hope this research helps with your tech tree setup.

Edited by daedaelus

Based on a documentary i watched there was 4 generations of shuttles. We had the Enterprise prototype. Then there was Columbia and Challenger which where more science oriented and did not have docking modules off the line. These shuttles had a bigger science role and also where planned to have the spacelab module. When the Daedalus project (later the ISS) project was approved Discovery and Atlantis had docking modules (to dock with mir at the time) and had more of a "space truck" mindset. Some lighter materials where used in its construction they learned after building the first 2. Endeavor was the last to be built (replacing challenger) which had the best of all the shuttles. Endeavor was the newest and as such implemented corrections to later determined flaws in the earlier shuttles. As all of the shuttles got upgrades to be comparable to the rest each and every one had some minor differences and got built in different time frames where the government had different roles for them. In conclusion this can be the case with the shuttles tech tree. You can start with enterprise launch from the 747 and land. Move into more science based missions with Challenger and Columbia, Discovery and Atlantis start launching satellites, probes and docking with things finally moving into endeavor which was built in a time ISS construction was the priority of the shuttle program.

As each shuttle had a name they also had unique numbers.

OV-102 Columbia, OV-099 Challenger, OV-103 Discovery, OV-104 Atlantis, and OV-105 Endeavour

From wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle

Orbiter add-ons

The orbiter could be used in conjunction with a variety of add-ons depending on the mission. This included orbital laboratories (Spacelab, Spacehab), boosters for launching payloads farther into space (Inertial Upper Stage, Payload Assist Module), and other functions, such as provided by Extended Duration Orbiter, Multi-Purpose Logistics Modules, or Canadarm (RMS). An upper stage called Transfer Orbit Stage (Orbital Science Corp. TOS-21) was also used once.[50] Other types of systems and racks were part of the modular Spacelab system â€â€pallets, igloo, IPS, etc., which also supported special missions such as SRTM.

You guys are doing great work and i hope this research helps with your tech tree setup.

Excellent! Yes I will of course have the normal shuttle with all textures as main download pack, and the realism pack. Unlockable.

Also I underatand ksp has limitations but for the 747 I can make a craft file for this. Maybe some models for the attachment to the 747 and treat them as decouplers.

Your research is great thank you.

I think it will be enjoyable for those who want a progressive gameplay (and have patience) and unlick science to simulate the real thing. In a ksp way of course...

I know your working really hard on this and probably are short on time but if you ever want to sit down and watch something this is a great documentary that has the birth of the shuttle start to finish in videos narrated by William Shatner. Its a great documentary to learn about the evolution of the shuttle and all the tests and trials they did to bring it to life. It may inspire some career mode stuff for you and might clear up any unknowns.

I know your working really hard on this and probably are short on time but if you ever want to sit down and watch something this is a great documentary that has the birth of the shuttle start to finish in videos narrated by William Shatner. Its a great documentary to learn about the evolution of the shuttle and all the tests and trials they did to bring it to life. It may inspire some career mode stuff for you and might clear up any unknowns.

what a coincidence! I just showed that to my girlfriend during dinner! haha yeah im trying to get her into the shuttle or maybe some modeling

- - - Updated - - -

https://robert.accettura.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/20090524_shuttle_mounting_point-620x516.jpg

A cool Kerbal type of joke on the rear attachment points of the 747

oh sweet! I have to add something like this

I guess its time for a guick update on where im at...

darker textures... and ET flaps

EsnrA6l.jpg

and a cool new feature for changing (properly changing!!!!!!!) between shuttle models.... as each one is unique and releasing many different ones will be a pain, so this will make it easy to switch to say, a version without radiators or docking bay etc....

bYRef3r.jpg

YIoOnhv.jpg

opens up more possibilities.

anyway heaps more to come!!!

- - - Updated - - -

so please let me know what you would like to have as part variants! I will have them labeled up as "discovery setup" "Columbia setup" etc

Oh my god... You could make the pad a non part thing and put in on the KSC with Kerbal Konstructs mod thing!!! Also can we have a close up of the heat tile texture!

That's actually a good idea. It would save fps and memory!

Yea, Mike you should make that launch pad a "static" as they are called in Kerbal Konstructs. It would be very easy to place anywhere at the KSC. I've made a couple Mercury and Gemini statics and added them to my KSC. I also got a few amazing looking statics from ChrisPbacon. I would love a shuttle launch pad to add to my collection of KK statics.