Has everyone forgotten about the fabled extra gas planets?

What do you think about the controversial Gas Planet Two?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the controversial Gas Planet Two?

• I want it back! Please! SQUAD! Goddamnit do something about it!
    • I don't care / don't know what Gas Planet 2 is.
    • I don't want it back! By computer would dye if I use Asteronomer's!

Same solar system since .18 we need moar planets people and more atmospheric bodies with water or something.

Would you like some lava on your Crazy svaiter planet? Well, if developers can't do it, at least we'll have modders...

- - - Updated - - -

Now the winning move will be to email the link to HarvesteR

- - - Updated - - -

More plants? We need more solar systems.

do you mean plants or planets

Edited by 322997am

Ahem a plugin, namely Kopernicus, already does that by defaul with kopernicus created custom planets.

I can't imagine that little hack is particularly stable.

Well, if developers can't do it, at least we'll have modders...

Aaaand the arrogance begins.

He's right. Mods are unstable. Some I installed your kopernicus mod and my computer told me crash memory dump. (Aka: blue screen of death)

Actually, Kopernicus uses a custom plugin to generate planets the same way as Stock. Planet Factory, however, used a hack to make them. Kopernicus is very stable and there are quite a few great planet packs out there.

Considering that goes against everything I've heard about it in the past year, I'm still doubtful.

Kopernicus has come a long way during its development. Sure, it still has some issues to iron out such as those with the auto-complete contracts in career, but it's far from unstable. I've been using some sort of Kopernicus config in all of my playthroughs in 1.0.x KSP so far (OPM standalone, RSS, KScale2 + OPM + Trans-Keptunian) and have not had any issues in sandbox/science modes except one that was quickly fixed due to a small typo in the code.

As long as Kopernicus becomes more and more stable, I honestly do not really see a need for a new stock planet. True, it would be nice to have, but I am satisfied with using OPM for the foreseeable future.

Does harvester even read these

I don't think so, but this thread was alreqdy started on Reddit, a place they strangely check more. The post was luckly 2 dayn on the first page. I don't have much fate into them implementing GP2 in future versions (unless they talk with planet creators) because almost no one of them has any experience in planet terrain PQS mods or even textures.

Personally, while adding new planets is neat, I'd rather see more detail and content added to existing planets. Rather than just some generic biomes, I'd love to see some much more specific biome designations. For example, rather than just landing at "Kerbin's Mountains", I'd rather have "Kerbin Moutains - Western Range" or "Duna Mountains - Mt. Von Kermin", something like that; biomes that give me a sense of place beyond just being on the planet in question.

Basically, hitting a giant ball of rock in space is fun, but not particularly challenging. Hitting a specific and interesting part of said rock, and being able to get back afterwards, is a lot more compelling to me. That's just me though.

More planets is fitting in "more content" statement made before 1.0 ;)

As NovaSilisko left the dev.-team some time around KSP 0.25,

odds for a quick addition of a second gas gaint had allready become quite bad.

Nevertheless, I was still expecting GP2 at some point in a distance future until beta was announced.

I don't know Squad's current statement on their DLC policy,

but I highly doubt Squad's ability to afford such a labour intensive project without any monetary compensation.

By the way, Nova is still present on the forums, just a few days ago he replied to one of my threads.

Maybe there is still some hope left :).

If a new planet was added, I'd hope that it had interesting features at both the orbital and surface level. For a couple of ideas at the orbital level:

Counter-Kerbin: a dwarf planet at Kerbol-Kerbin's L3 Lagrangian point. This would present an unusual challenge because there would be no transfer window to reach it directly.

A ringed planet: as well as looking pretty, it would serve as an interesting navigational hazard - as long as it had well-defined edges visible on the map view, you could choose either to avoid flying through the ring, or fly through the ring relying on some combination of matching orbital velocities and shielding sensitive components to avoid damage. Flying something through the ring and bringing it back for study would make a nice science contract too.

I'm all for adding content to the game, but adding more planets will simply increase travel times to current planets w/o the game infrastructure to support them. I am in favor of doing other things to improve current game play, robotics such as Canada arm anyone (yes I know there are mods, but stock stuff usually turns out better)?

I would also love to see the inclusion of mini games for things such as science or maybe minor vessel repairs. KAS/KIS somewhat add this for orbital assembly of stations and ships. I enjoy being able to take useful science readings in game and transmit the findings back to Kerbin, but would like to see more than just "click, take a reading".

- Sample taking for example, you could have a contract to bring back a certain type of metalic sample, and to find it you need a metal detector which tells you if you're in the right location to obtain it (like the ISRU scanners do for resources).

- A station based science mini game could involve blowing up things in a zero-G test chamber ("testing" materials).

- Astronomy anyone? Aiming an orbital telescope at a specific target in the Kerbol sysytem and taking readings.

Nah it's more the repetition, and that Squad have made absolutely no mention of more planets since NovaSilisko left the team.

I also prefer Canopus' suggestion that the existing planets be fleshed out, as what is the use of more planets if there's nothing on them?

2 points come to mind from your post, the first is I agree that I`d rather have more to do on the planets we already have although once we get the ability for the game to be much less restricted memory wise with Unity 5 I`d like to see more textures, planets and other things that have had to be `rationalised` (read that as cut) due to the game running on a 32 bit environment.

The second is that Squad should be a little more informative and definitive when it comes to things like this. As you say, they have said nothing and we are supposed to take that as some form of information.

Really, sometimes I think we would get better info about the future of the game by throwing bones and examining chicken entrails. Maybe doing the I-Ching would help or possibly putting the game on one side of a large set of scales and a duck on the other side...

EDIT :

Counter-Kerbin: a dwarf planet at Kerbol-Kerbin's L3 Lagrangian point. This would present an unusual challenge because there would be no transfer window to reach it directly.

To reach the counter-kerbin you would just thrust in the direction of orbit to get an elliptical orbit 1.5 times the length of a year. It would never change. Launch just before dawn, same time every day, straight up and achieve the same velocity at 70km and you would get there every time except when you hit the SOI of Mun or Minmus.

Edited by John FX

The most recent official word seems to be from the last two AMAs:

More planets are a big maybe right now. We have to finish making the current ones as good as Kerbin. (Link)
There's no short term plans to expand the solar system. As far as plans beyond KSP... nothing we can share just yet. There's still a lot we can do with KSP, though. The community deserves it. (Link)

They're a possibility, but the devs would prefer to work on existing planets.

The most recent official word seems to be from the last two AMAs:
We have to finish making the current ones as good as Kerbin.

They're a possibility, but the devs would prefer to work on existing planets.

Does this mean Proc craters for more bodies? Maybe an Olympus Mons for Duna?

More importantly, is that still the plan? That was posted almost a year ago, and now the userbase has expanded considerably, and we are 1.0. If they redo planet surfaces and it breaks saves the majority of players who dont frequent here or reddit wont understand why their 1.0 no-longer-early-access save game is broken.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.