Has everyone forgotten about the fabled extra gas planets?

What do you think about the controversial Gas Planet Two?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the controversial Gas Planet Two?

• I want it back! Please! SQUAD! Goddamnit do something about it!
    • I don't care / don't know what Gas Planet 2 is.
    • I don't want it back! By computer would dye if I use Asteronomer's!

I support idea of new planet. If devs added female kerbal as "very important content" then new planets should have priority of female kerbal ^ 2.

It would be nice to have random planet.

I do understand that planets in KSP are on rails, but size, textures, biomes, temperatures, atmo or no atmo, mass and all other planetary attributes should be randomized a bit.

So for every new game (even in sandbox) we would get something new unexplored just to have more fun.

Like what? Seriously, I'd love to see some ideas that aren't just more of the same. [....] I've been asking this the whole thread: "What other, different ideas are out there that serve all modes of play?" Is there stuff that can be added that doesn't require that the entire game structure and the idea of how KSP is played be changed? Anything that isn't a pipe-dream?

Like what you would find if you weren't being overly dismissive.

Several examples have been given or hinted at, making existing planet ground more active (geyser, requiring thermal radiator on Moho, wind), making game mechanic that encourage local exploration, like say a science part that require several data-point in the same biome (with some minimal distance shown simply by leaving a landed-debris behind), having contract correctly balanced/tailored to give a reasons to bring/replace scientist/engineer at place deliberately around your base. Have an Administration strategy focusing on a planet. CLOUD of FOG to make surveyor and probes more important. KAS tools to simplify refueling base... not to say about making new part which would result in new stuff to do everywhere.

Those are no incredible change, some are even mods, implying that you would need to change the entire game structure to achieve better than a GP2 is moving the goal post and a double standard.

Plus Contract, Administration and the tech-tree have to be corrected anyway for known reasons.

If you call surface infrastructure "useless art project", what would be a new planet ? a "new space rock" ?

You can only do so much with credible planets before you have to go crazy surface just to get new experience (like a massive fast rotating airless black moon, a planet with one gigantic mountain, a hyper-Eve or a low gravity flyable planet) and they don't need to be made further away or as a new planet (which would simply make harder challenge you already faced).

tl;dr

if the effort were the same, you would gain more with more game mechanic than new planet/moons, even made crazy.

Like what you would find if you weren't being overly dismissive.
Now I remember why I don't bother even looking at your posts anymore...
Several examples have been given or hinted at, making existing planet ground more active (geyser, requiring thermal radiator on Moho, wind),
Atmospheric and ground effects would be welcome but they're on the exact same planets we've been to for the last however many game versions. It's another PQS mod or setting that could easily be added to a new planet as well.
making game mechanic that encourage local exploration, like say a science part that require several data-point in the same biome (with some minimal distance shown simply by leaving a landed-debris behind)
No different than contracts that already exist, might help science mode out. It's nothing really new or ground-breaking, just more right-clicking with some tedious travel in-between.
having contract correctly balanced/tailored to give a reasons to bring/replace scientist/engineer at place deliberately around your base.
Doesn't help out science or sandbox players, and with the sad state of career mode and Kerbal hiring it tends to encourage serial missioning even more.
Have an Administration strategy focusing on a planet.
Does nothing for science or sandbox players and really only focuses career mode rather than introducing a new mechanic.
CLOUD of FOG to make surveyor and probes more important.
An interesting mechanic for new players but does nothing for old players other than introduce additional, required, been-there-done-that grind when a new save is started.
KAS tools to simplify refueling base...
Doesn't really change gameplay or introduce anything "new", just makes surface bases and ISRU easier to set up.
not to say about making new part which would result in new stuff to do everywhere.
What new part?
If you call surface infrastructure "useless art project", what would be a new planet ? a "new space rock" ?
It's a new destination, somewhere else to go than everywhere we've already been way too many times.

I get it, everyone wants more polish on the stuff we have already. The problem is that we're still stuck with the stuff we have already. If there's a few new craters and maybe a sandstorm on Duna, it's still Duna and it still took me ~1500m/s to get there. There is nothing different about it.

5thHorseman is right, we need random solar systems; Kerbol is getting really boring.

To be sincere Regex, I'm not very interested either in answering someone who don't want to be convinced.

Still, condensed answers, because a quote wars lead nowhere.

Any solutions don't have to support both Sandbox and Science mode, you don't play Sandbox expecting objectives/progression/limit that the very point of it. Be creative/artistic.

You seek to create more content, we got it. But if the content is only a small-variation of what you already have, then more game-mechanic can be more productive. New mechanic can be obtained with new parts, just like ISRU gave refueling base. I shouldn't need to tell you that if you really wanted to understand.

We have opposing point of view on what is "fun".

Apparently your idea of fun is launching constantly bigger stuff, getting to destination and can be measured in DeltaV. To the point I wonder if you would care if a game randomly generated 10 boring planets as long as it take more dV and aren't called the same way.

My idea of fun have limits on "how big" and "how many" a planet/rocket to include "why", "what for" and "how". stacking-up bigger rocket is less interesting than crafting a supreme space-only nuclear-tug. And since flying it is more important than the distance to cross there's no point getting a new planets if it give me better access to zone of interest we already have.

Random Solar system would be mindless grind : randomly generating the similar relief, similar parameters except, on average only as crazy as you allow them to be, but with different color and generated name.

Whereas a carefully crafted solar system is to make sure all combinations appear. Part and contract appear little by little to expand what you can do there, and lessen the difficulty of getting there.

...and the current planet / game-mechanic can be improved a LOT MORE with greater return than a new planet.

If you still disagree, let's disagree, I have nothing more to say on this subject.

Myself I`d like an option to start a game in a procedurally generated solar system that had `fog of space` where all that could be seen was that there were `X` number of moons around your planet although not their orbit or mass.

I would first have to build a terrestrial telescope to see the orbits and surface gravity of the moons and their size alongside the number of other planets and their rough orbits. It would unlock around the time the player first got a craft into orbit.

I`d like to have to launch an orbital telescope which would provide better surface detail of the moons and narrow down the orbits and size and surface gravity of the other planets and number of moons.

I`d like to have to send probes to orbit the planets, gather better info on their moons (orbits+mass+size) and scan the surface of the planets and determine atmosphere depth and composition (if any).

As we see with New Horizons and Pluto the detail available in the map screen would increase as the probe got closer.

There would be generated anomalies on the planets and moons which would generate science if an EVA was done within 250m and greatly increase reputation.

Also we would have A.L.S.E.P and semi autonomous kerbals/craft which could do basic repetitions tasks themselves. Possibly with an editable task list.

My thought for how to make the game eternally new and playable for very experienced players. Always have something new to do and discover.

Obviously each solar system could be reproduced on another game with the same seed.

Edited by John FX

I don't think the game needs more gas planets. (one at most.)

I also think the game has enough planets for low/mid level players.

But with the new aerodynamics/parts making eve easier, the game could use some very hard planets.

My ideas:

-Ablate-like small asteroid near the sun. (without the insane density...)

-Eve, but worse, something that leads to 100 page threads on if it is even theoretically possible to return from there.

-Tylo, but worse. (maybe place it very far from the sun, it has no atmosphere because it is frozen.)

-1-3 comets, one problem is that they are a bit too small to be "planets", but too large to be parts...

The counterpoint to more planets always seems to be a variation of "It's pointless because it would just be more of the same".

And this is such a weak argument it's not even funny. Seriously, If you can't imagine planets and moons that *aren't* Elloo clones, then you have a pretty limited imagination. There are great recommendations already on this page, and I would add moons in retrograde orbits, extremely oblate moons, moons with tall spikey mountains, and Titan-like moons. That's easily enough to populate a GP2 neighborhood.

Also, rings are pretty.

I hope at least one new planet is added, I really want a ringed planet, whether it's a kerbalised Saturn or something completely made up (like a random ringed moon that orbits....Eve, I dunno).

Look how pretty this view is of Sarnus from the moon Ovok. It's awesome. This is from the Outer Planets mod.

OMvrxQS.png

This view of Sarnus from afar is cool, too.

sE4Yuwb.png

Something like this in the stock game would be fantastic, but I think adding more stuff for the already-existing planets is more important. Wasn't Eeloo and Minmus supposed to have geysers or something?

The counterpoint to more planets always seems to be a variation of "It's pointless because it would just be more of the same".

And this is such a weak argument it's not even funny. Seriously, If you can't imagine planets and moons that *aren't* Elloo clones, then you have a pretty limited imagination. There are great recommendations already on this page, and I would add moons in retrograde orbits, extremely oblate moons, moons with tall spikey mountains, and Titan-like moons. That's easily enough to populate a GP2 neighborhood.

Also, rings are pretty.

The thing is that some variations don't require an entire planet or make a fundamental difference other than visual.

- Retrograd orbit is acceptable, mostly a slingshot challende

- Oblate moon by itself is just like landing on a gigantic mountain slop, if with crazy rotation you'll need a small moon and a high speed for it to be noticeable.

- Spikey mountains can be added to any other planet, along with all sort of geological features, so you can have plateau with more gravitational & atmospheric parameters than "plateau planet". That's why we need more unique landmark for survey on planet.

Also note that some variation would also likely be criticized for being unrealistic. Last, there's criticism against "more RANDOM planets".

But I agree, Ring are pretty yes. Jool could get some.

If you can't imagine planets and moons that *aren't* Elloo clones, then you have a pretty limited imagination.

I can imagine plenty of planets and moons that aren't Eeloo clones. I just can't imagine Squad - who have made quite a few planets and moons in the game already into Eeloo clones (Seriously, what is the functional difference between Eeloo, Moho, Dres, Val, and Ike? Not much) - would add a bunch of NEW planets that are anything else.

I hope at least one new planet is added, I really want a ringed planet, whether it's a kerbalised Saturn or something completely made up (like a random ringed moon that orbits....Eve, I dunno).

Look how pretty this view is of Sarnus from the moon Ovok. It's awesome. This is from the Outer Planets mod.

http://i.imgur.com/OMvrxQS.png

This view of Sarnus from afar is cool, too.

http://i.imgur.com/sE4Yuwb.png

Something like this in the stock game would be fantastic, but I think adding more stuff for the already-existing planets is more important. Wasn't Eeloo and Minmus supposed to have geysers or something?

This... This is why I want x64 so much already. This mod is the first on my list with maximum textures memory be damned.

Alternis Kerbol remake and RSS (I hope it gets expended with no more memory limitations) too... hurry up with 64 bits Quad... Thanks ! =)

Outer planets mod is a work in progress and is the most stock looking planetary system expansion you can get. I'd really like if it became integrated into the stock game one day. It has used Eeloo as Sarnus' satellite.

Other than that, changes I'd like to see are:

1) Planet Factory had Ablate, a small vulcanoid planet, tidally locked to Kerbol. One side sandblasted scorching hell, other side eternal darkness.

Reaching it was an insane endeavour itself. Today, with the heating system, whole new gameplay opportunities are opened.

2) A comet. Planet Factory had Ascension, a good concept never fully developed. Good luck catching a Gilly sized lump of icy dirtball on an eccentric orbit which could be modelled after Churyumov-Gerasimenko comet's orbit, or with apoapsis somewhere around Eeloo. Periapsis below Kerbin's orbit.

Bring Back The Gas Planet Two!

5pK7ebB.jpg

This is adressed to all the people playing the game for a long time or people who want more stock planets whose wishes remained unfurfilled. Remember the Gas Planet Two?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/29807-Planet-Ideas-And-Names-For-The-Future-Of-Kerbal-Space-Program?p=447959&viewfull=1#post447959

Originaly Jool was supposed to be the first and biggest Gas Giant with the most massive moons, unlike the planned and scrapped Gas Planet Two, that was smaller than Jool and had a whole lot more moons, all very small. The only things we know about it is that it had 4 main moons, Potatus, Fonso, Daphy and Eeloo (wonder why Eeloo looks like a kerbalised Europa?), rings, and an awesome blue color. Now, why should we players have to use mods like Kerbol Plus or Outer Planets just to experience something we should have had in stock? Can't we do anything to revive the Gas Planet Two? Just remember what we did with the barn...

Please SQUAD it would be awesome if the GasPlanetTwo would be implemented at least after the Unity 5.1 update...

Edited by amarius1

Please community, after 1.1 PLEASE push at squad for more planets. And there is one thing not t much know about gp2 which is if novasilsko had not left it would have been implomented

Please community, after 1.1 PLEASE push at squad for more planets. And there is one thing not t much know about gp2 which is if novasilsko had not left it would have been implomented

Yep but I think he did the right decision... Even if he finished it SQUAD had other bigger plans so why would Nova still wait for his content to be implented?.. Also, i once saw some early cloud tests conducted by Mu and Nova Silisko. What happened to those?

Once KSP gets a fresh coat of paint (read: new skybox, clouds, etc), I am all for adding a new gas giant. But before that happens, it's just going to be double-duty for Squad so it probably wont happen.

Once KSP gets a fresh coat of paint (read: new skybox, clouds, etc), I am all for adding a new gas giant. But before that happens, it's just going to be double-duty for Squad so it probably wont happen.

Totaly forgot about that dude... Also, the Gas Planet Two is something that was developed since way before 17. The "Fresh coat of paint" is equally unlikelt to happen unforcenately... :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.