Militarization of KSP

Netskimmer

How do you fell about creating impliments of war in KSP?  

570 members have voted

1. 1. How do you fell about creating impliments of war in KSP?

• Blasphemy!!!
    • Just doesn't feel right.
    • Meh... I couldn't care less.
    • Sure, it's fun to watch things explode!
    • YES!!! Die you little green blighters!

My problem with weapons in KSP isn't that they are "contrary to peaceful exploration" or anything like that, it's a moddable sandbox game others can do what they want.

My problem is that they are usually one item. A missile you just plop on your plane and fly away with.

If there are weapons I'd rather have them be modular so I could make my own. Like adding a warhead so I could design my own missiles.

Voted "couldn't care less", but then i realized this could actually be educational for a lot of people (like, every single space battle in movie history is just so wrong on so many levels).

However, certainly doesn't fit into the stock game narrative.

KSP is a science and exploration game. I have built military ships in the past, and it was pretty fun, but I don't want the game to have military-dedicated parts as standard; we have mods for that purpose.

Still, watching a couple of home-made torpedoes slam into an enemy ship is very satisfying :wink:

It could be possible but only for contracting, like putting a spy satellite in orbit or something else (like in real life). But adding just weapons to shoot is not the goal of the game

No, thanks. Leave weapons in the realm of mods.

Mass and gravity are enemies enough for a quasi-realistic spaceflight game, weapons are just outside its scope IMO. For that matter, I don't seem to need any help blowing things up. KSP is also RAM-limited in the number of parts that can be implemented, I consider it a waste of that capacity to include dedicated weapon parts.

Further, I think stock weapons would have a detrimental effect on the community. It would become less about helping each other learn what is a fairly difficult game and more about pwning n00bs and K/D ratios. To some degree I think we'll see some of this effect when stock multiplayer arrives, and I'm not particularly looking forward to it.

I'd definitely prefer it not to be part of stock, for me is more about exploration and

- hopefully together one day :D

It does make a bit of sense for multiplayer though, I assume baha gets many requests about DMP support. Sorry baha :P

I'd say leave it to mods. KSP is very modable anyway, so leave the side-projects be side-projects. Means we got a problem if Baha ever leaves tho.^^'

That's not to say it can't be interesting, the idea of tackling the complexity of real space warfare in the cleverly simplified world of KSP is intriguing, and even simple aerial/ground combat with KSPs vehicle building/physics is already pretty fun against BD's AI.

I mean, imagine taking Bahas work into Multiplayer and it'll be a lot of fun. :D

If there are weapons I'd rather have them be modular so I could make my own. Like adding a warhead so I could design my own missiles.

BDArmory actually has an autopilot module and warhead for self-made míssiles. ;)

Edited by Temeter

Stock weapons could be interesting, as long as fighting would be kind of realistic, instead of just re-enacting historical naval/air combat in space. It would be interesting to see what kind ships, weapons and tactics would work in space, assuming that we have reasonable tools to handle hundreds or thousands of autonomous drones.

KSP is a cute game. The Kerbals are cute. The solar system is very cute.

I'm already seeing "serious" KSP knock-offs at Steam. Those look like the right places to design weapons and kill people.

I HAVE been thinking of a stock fireworks display though. A small fuel tank with Sepratrons aimed properly will both fly and burst in mid-air!

With some people, when you give them a lump of clay or a random ink blot, everything they touch or see turns into a naked woman (Quagmire). With some people, everything turns into a way to hurt other people. What gets me is when people celebrate that fact.

It is a fun departure from the proper exploration aspect of the game. I've popped in the armory mod and horsed around in sandbox for an afternoon, thats about it. I made a seriously awesome looking A-10 style plane and it was fun to blow stuff up, but it gets old when you have to play the badguys and the goodguys at the same time.

I was telling someone of KSP last night that had never heard of it; the immediately presumed that it was a space game where you kill things. I love that KSP is not that. Its one of the few games that arent violent, and I appriciate that.

I think the game is about exploration and science, and there is no need for weapons on the stock game. There are so many games about destroying or killing, that not having any of this is one of the things that makes KSP unique. I'm totally fine with weapon mods.

The poll is not really clear to me. Is this about what should be included in stock, or is it about the existence of weapons mods in the first place?

Personally I don't think the stock game should have it. The stock game focuses on science and I'd rather not see the "science of killing" included in that.

At the same time, it's a sandbox game with mods. if someone wants to make a mod, and others like to use it, why not? I even don't mind if there are facilities in the API to facilitate this (Splosion classes, etc). I'd definitely not like the idea of Squad going old-style Lego* trying to discourage or even make it impossible to make such mods (not that I'm suggesting they do); if the community wants something like that, why not?

*in the olden days, Lego didn't manufacture green bricks as they could be used to construct tanks and other military equipment.

Well Im all up for adding a radial decoupler, a cone, an oscar-b and a spark engine, but adding stock parts to make weapons is a really, really silly idea for a peaceful exploration/designing game. And it would also make all the military stuff in ksp look the same. I say if you want weapons either download a mod, or make your weapons out of stock parts, or both.

KSP is a peacefull program i think... i voted second.

There are "good" (... ) military sims, consider ARMA series for example. I have played them also, real good suspense and strategie involved.

Maybe some older people think different after doing service themselve in the army btw.

I prever the funny aspects of SQUADS inertial idea.

Frankly weapons in KSP is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Any engines that could get armored craft to space would totally break the balance of the game

Real space fighting would be with would be with energy weapons that travel at the speed of light. Thus you would be limited ground based or LKO defensive positions. Or you would have to give fusion reactors which takes all points of staging and building out of play. In addition it would be quite boring first to detect and lockon to a ship then fire wins

You can already make guided missiles (probe core, tank of fuel and a terrier) but good luck hitting anything at 2000 m/s. I have a hard enough time docking at 1 m/s

No guns here, please.

If you like something with guns, go play any videogame that has them. You have plenty to choose from - around 95% of all videogames in history, I think.

Thankfully Squad have zero intention of adding weapons to KSP, but the player is free to mod their game if they want to.

I voted based on my thoughts of weapons being in Stock, which is "Just doesn't feel right". Stock should focus on the exploration and creation aspect. But I've seen some awesome stuff done with BDArmory and have no issue with people adding weapons through mods. That's why I love KSP and other sandbox games, you can tailor them to whatever play style you like.

Implements of war? No.

Not in my save, at least. I prefer the problem-solving and the exploration. I get enough earth-shattering kabooms to keep me chuckling along the way without the need for weaponry.

I understand that actual space exploration is often motivated by the military, but if we are going bring a military element into the game, I'd rather see it in the form of contracts to place imaging or communications satellites into orbit, launch the K-37B for a test flight, fly high-altitude passes over other continents with imagine equipment aboard, etc.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.