Discontinued since it's part of GAP

ContractPack: KerbalAircraftBuilders

MPq8KQb.png

Altitude Contracts:

• 2500m, 5000m, 10000m, 20000m

Speed Contracts:

• 220m/s, 330m/s, 1000m/s

Weight Contracts:

• (Reach altitude x with a vessel weighting y tons)
  • 2.5, 5 ,7 ,10 ,14 ,20tons

Island related Contracts:

• Fly over the Island
  • Land on the Island

Tourist contract:

• Fly a tourist over the island and back (Will reappear after a few days)

The Island is the one with the runway on it next to the KSC and all contracts require a SAFE landing back at the KSC to accomplish the mission!

SGKgdYh.png

16 missions, 1 repetitive TouristContract included

Special thanks to:

@nightingale; for his promt response to my pm, @meyerweb; for help with my bad english, and everyone who made a ContractPack wich i could look into the code to learn the basics!

SourceCode Feel free to do what ever you want with it

Needs ContractConfigurator

IS NOW PART OF: Giving Aircraft a Purpose

And maintained by @inigma

Edited by maculator
Discontinued

I like this idea quite a bit—as it stands now, airplanes are mostly pointless in career. In my latest career game, in fact, I’ve literally only ever used the runway as a launching point for science jalopies to run around KSC harvesting science points.

If you put the base text for your mod up on Github, I could provide spell- and grammar-check services. It looks like you might need them (“safly” should be “safely” in the screenshot above).

- - - Updated - - -

Ideas, suggested with absolutely zero idea whether it’s possible to implement them:

- Circumnavigate Kerbin

- Overflight (set 2-4 zones that must be overflown, possibly in a specific order, below a certain altitude)

- Plane crew reports (like the existing crew reports, except always below 2,500 meters [more for mountains])

- Short takeoff records (get off the runway in less than n meters)

- VTOL trial (have a VTOL-capable craft that can land in a nearby zone, then take off again and return)

- Part trials (like part contracts for rockets, except require them to be part of a plane)

- Science contracts that require instruments to be carried by plane

Edited by meyerweb
Cleaned up forum migration errors (Unicode and hyperlinking were both botched—sigh)

Congrats on the release!

By the way, you have an interesting spelling of contract in the thread title.;)

Curious as it's not obvious in the screen shot - what's your mechanism for limiting it to planes? I can think of a few simple ways, but all of them have at least some holes.

Well I'm german and it got pretty late^^ So there might be some minor grammatik and spelling issues ...

Sure I can put it on github and sure there are many things possible. I'm note sure what is possible for me to do, since this thing is a kind of "test" I'm really a noob and in the learning. Next thing I wanna do is get familiar with the waypoint implementation and make some contracts wich let you flyby some waypoints in specific order.

Curious as it's not obvious in the screen shot - what's your mechanism for limiting it to planes? I can think of a few simple ways, but all of them have at least some holes.

Its as limited as I could do it with my skills: you need a new Vessel for each contract and you have to land it on the runway at the end, techically you can do it with a rocket too, but good luck with landing.

Edited by maculator

Without having the files to hand, do wings have their own part module? You could make craft have wings? Not fool proof, but if it's got wings and lands on the runway, close enough

Had the same thought, it is possible, because all wings have a MODULE LiftingSurface, but it would make things a bit complicated in the description.

So I thought requireing the player to land the same vessel on the runway again should be enough. I mean if you want to "cheat" you'll always find a way.

Fizwalker said:
Interesting pack! I'll give it a try! =)

*Sigh* More than ever, I wish P-Wings were updated..... >.>

Go ahead, exept the "land on the Island" - Contract, everything works. Tested it right now :) Would love to get some feedback!

I put it on Kerbalstuff since you will need the Flags and stuff:

ContractPack: Kerbal Aircraft Builders

Edited by Snark
Link to defunct website removed by moderator

I want a light contract pack for stock-alike play. So I wont bother with kerbinside, its also way beyond my skills :/ But thanks for mentioning it, so I'll have a look and see if it helps me to understand how those contracts work.

I'm just wondering what the altitude & distance ranges would be for the fly over island contracts... I've been trying it, but can't get the flyover section of the contract to go green or get the waypoint to clear. Will those not happen until landing back at ksc?

What about some procedural tourist contracts that mimic the already-existing visual survey contracts? Haven't looked at the code, but seems like it wouldn't be too hard.

Fly a tourist through a cluster of waypoints above or below a certain altitude so they can take some sweet aerial photos.

What about some procedural tourist contracts that mimic the already-existing visual survey contracts? Haven't looked at the code, but seems like it wouldn't be too hard.

Fly a tourist through a cluster of waypoints above or below a certain altitude so they can take some sweet aerial photos.

Thats the thing I'm going to do next. Maybe next weekend, need to look into it and find out how it works but shouldn't be too hard.

and for the island waypoint, make sure to use the newest version of the contract pack. I tested it with 1.1 and it worked.

I guess that I should have done my own homework.. checked the config, it's showing a proximity to the waypoint of 500... which is closer than the attempted altitudes.

Edited by SRiley77

Kerbinside give me a bunch of high alt transfer missions and nothing else. I'd like simpler missions. That don't require the turbo jet engine.

I've a few more in the works that are more straight-forward. The first set I wanted to make sure involved spaaaace in some fashion but since there's a demand for contracts without that element, I'll keep plugging away.

Sorry maculator for cluttering up your thread chap.

Having fun with this so far. I like to build planes.

Question about the "Don't Crash" though. It seems very sensitive. I did a part test in flight for another contract that involved a decoupler and it was registered as a crash. Actually, both the altitude contracts I have done so far registered as crashes. What is the criteria for a crash?

Thanks for making this contract pack.

The problem with this pack so far is: If you accept a contract and its active, and you crash any vessel, you fail... I am working on a solution but my skills are limited.

The best thing to stop that from happening is: Only accept a KAB contract if you want to do it straight away.

Or tell me how to fix it:wink:

(The contract configurator syntax i used for "don't crash" lets you fail if any part of your vessel goes "boom" So combining a part test with a decoupler isnt the best idea)

Edited by maculator

Interesting pack. As a helicopter fan, I'd prefer it remain open to aircraft of various types.

Suggestion:

Rescue contracts from the surface, including oceans, of Kerbin. This could include splashed down pod recovery!

This especially encourages VTOL aircraft, which are pretty tough to build and fly. It could also encourage cargo-capable planes, perhaps with their own deployable recovery vehicles.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.