"Is it practical? No, who cares."

Hey guys. I've discovered in the type of player who often times has to ask himself "Is it practical?". My answer is usually "no, but who cares". This is a thread for like minded engineers to come and talk about their dumbest and weirdest inventions from ksp. Pictures optional. Insanity mandatory :cool:

Yesterday I built a tiny SSTO that takes good 20 minutes to reach the orbit, and carries no payload - but spends good 17 out of these 20 minutes covered with flames. And I built Kerbal Fireworks to celebrate Eve landing. These involved four turbojets on engine nacelles with fins added in such a way that their flight paths would be most erratic.

... I built Kerbal Fireworks to celebrate Eve landing. These involved four turbojets on engine nacelles with fins added in such a way that their flight paths would be most erratic.

Hah! I love this idea of fireworks. What the heck inspired you to do such a thing? :D

These in particular - I experimented with jet (plain old, not turbo) boosters that would be discarded upon reaching some 300m/s, and I liked what they did after discarding, flying all around, adding to excitement "will it come back and hit the rocket?"

I am preparing to build an elevator to the roof of the VAB using KAS/KIS... Does that count?

Still a little stuck on the cranes though... Anything big enough to use to lift my frame to where it needs be seems to be too big for the open area on the VAB.

Thinking of doing away with the crane entirely and just going pylon/probe core/battery/winch but that just feels a little cheap to me.

Yesterday I built a tiny SSTO that takes good 20 minutes to reach the orbit, and carries no payload - but spends good 17 out of these 20 minutes covered with flames. And I built Kerbal Fireworks to celebrate Eve landing. These involved four turbojets on engine nacelles with fins added in such a way that their flight paths would be most erratic.

Did someone say fireworks?

5418455E6FCA741C6C98C5A7DCA7DF33356E193A

394C8040A2BA57FF23D30FCDFA0A25E4CEE06D1F

How about a hang glider flier?

C2A0157035000F65C478C0967B65356C7BB7D229

Edited by Arsonik

You grew a Kraken Tree ;)

LOL @ Kraken Tree, I like it. Gonna have to caption the pics now :wink:

A few versions ago I was out of ideas for things to do, and took a liking to strapping as many SRBs on decouplers as I could without crashing [the game]..... I've since updated my CPU, might have to try this again :)

LOL @ Kraken Tree, I like it. Gonna have to caption the pics now :wink:

I made some fireworks once. It doesn't work anymore thanks to the different heat system in 1.0.4, but it looked cool. Sepratrons can't blow up tanks like at the end of this show anymore.

I made some fireworks once. It doesn't work anymore thanks to the different heat system in 1.0.4, but it looked cool. Sepratrons can't blow up tanks like at the end of this show anymore.

That was really cool. I'm imagining multiple setups like that and a bit of post processing on your favorite video editor to make it look like a real lengthy show, but that would be way more work then I could ever commit to. Half way through I'd have some other crazy idea. That is unfortunately my curse with Kerbal :( I'm definitely an engineer at heart. I will labor tirelessly over a rocket/plane for HOURS only to test fly it, have everything go perfect, grin, and delete it. Lmao I literally don't keep any copies of stuff.... I guess I play mostly just to challenge myself.

That was really cool. I'm imagining multiple setups like that and a bit of post processing on your favorite video editor to make it look like a real lengthy show

Thanks! There were no post-production tricks here (I'm too lazy and not good at it anyway :).

I'm definitely an engineer at heart. I will labor tirelessly over a rocket/plane for HOURS only to test fly it, have everything go perfect, grin, and delete it. Lmao I literally don't keep any copies of stuff.... I guess I play mostly just to challenge myself.

I have something of the same problem.

Here's another very impractical thing. I mean, how practical is it to destroy KSC? That's kinda shooting yourself in the foot. But it was fun making the hardware to do it. This is all stock, too, apart from Chatterer.

I didn't expect this thread to progress so quickly, I guess I should share 1 of mine. It's actually a project in currently planning. I'm gonna put a fully stocked space station (apart from kerbalnauts) in sol orbit. For no other reason than to just say I did it. I'll add pictures as soon as I've completed it.

Edited by RandomName101

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.