Hey Squad, are you ever going to address g-forces on pilots?

Then you just end up with a probe core on every single craft. Why not? Not that much weight, cheap cost.

Hell, most my landers have prove cores so that a scientist can land them. Jeb laughs from the mother ship when those landings have issues.

I think both gauges either side of the nav ball could have some work done to them. The red area at the top of the throttle gauge needs to either be usable, or be removed. Every time I build a rocket that's underpowered I look at that little red area and wish I could actually use it.

I'd rather replace the g-gauge with an engine overdrive gauge. Who wouldn't want to be able to get 120% thrust on their engines while screaming "I'M GIVING HER ALL SHE'S GOT!"

Edited by Edax

^^lmao

The kerbals are my minions, they do my space bidding.

I like the G force meter and enjoy the time when its in the red. It would be morefun to see a bit more shakey shakey and whatnot but thats just me.

To me those facial expressions just about cover the situation.

^^lmao

The kerbals are my minions, they do my space bidding.

I like the G force meter and enjoy the time when its in the red. It would be morefun to see a bit more shakey shakey and whatnot but thats just me.

To me those facial expressions just about cover the situation.

Go in the code and crank up the shaky

Deadly Reentry kills Kerbals when acceleration exceeds a certain point.

Animations are something mentioned numerous times and would be a really nice add on for the game.

Also, they looked way better like this.

iyhV24V.png

Their heads seemed smaller, making them look dumber and more goofy.

It may be worth removing the gauge sooner than later if there's no plan to introduce pilot health/support, since it probably confuses new players who think it actually does something.

It actually is a factor in maneuvering the craft that a lot of players have overlooked. Aerodynamics do play a part in that, but if you try to maneuver a craft under a lot of g too much, it will go out of control. The number of G's also give you a visual measurement of how much re-entry heat you will be dealing with.

I do agree it would be a fun mechanic to have kerbals have the chance of passing out under high G's, with maybe a smaller chance the more experienced they are. But I don't expect that to actually occur.

It may be worth removing the gauge sooner than later if there's no plan to introduce pilot health/support, since it probably confuses new players who think it actually does something.

I use the guage on both lift offs and reentry, on reentry its particularly useful to see how much drag your generating, its actually quite useful for planning future aerodrag periapsis.

And as a matter of point I never look at the Kerbal guis during flight, I have my eyes on the guages, particular pitch and velocity, the only kerbal that I worry about is the one landing and gathering science data, the rest of the flight they are just along for the atmosphere.

On takeoff I don't want to see that guage much above 1g during the early flight phase above 100 m/s, because if I am pushing alot of g force it means I am wasting alot of fuel in drag. There are somethings I let McJeb do, but the launches and gravity turns are all mine.

Don't think so. It is handy on lift off for not to have an excessive acceleration, especially if using FAR and on reentry as well because g forces can tear your vessel apart. If the gauge would ever be removed I'll return it there myself :)

Edited by Ser

G-forces affect my ships, which is good enough for me. Try opening a single chute at high speed below 1000m with several full fueltanks strapped below your lander and see where the fuel tanks go with the radical deceleration. The Kerbals themselves? Well, they're tough little critters.

That gauge also gives you an idea on if you're craft is going to blow up from atmospheric forces (not heat), from coming in too fast. It's a useful gauge. I wouldn't be opposed to adjusting the "maxed out" value to kill my kerbals when the forces are too grow (just prior to when the ship would be destroyed anyway)

Having kerbals black out is only good on papar. You rarely (probably never) use an engineer or scientest while transitioning through atmosphere, so if anything it'd just be a novelty when you see them pass out in cockpit view. although having a pilot blackout on re-entry could make for some interesting gameplay considerations, though at the moment re-entry is tedious enough.

If pilots blacking out during re-entry becomes a possibility, the only gameplay effect will be that every re-entry capable craft should be built with a small probe core. (I usually do that anyway, so the only effect I'd notice is that I wouldn't be able to use IVA view for a bit.)

If pilots blacking out during re-entry becomes a possibility, the only gameplay effect will be that every re-entry capable craft should be built with a small probe core. (I usually do that anyway, so the only effect I'd notice is that I wouldn't be able to use IVA view for a bit.)

What if your crew dies of a sustained over-g? A probe core won't help, you'll have to choose a better reentry profile.

It would be totally enough to see the g-force effects on the kerbals faces... no need for a health game mechanic, when you can have hilarious kerbal faces...
There's a mod for that.

It would be nice if pilots would black out in stock though.

Aw dang, I read that as "there's a mod for hilarious G-force kerbal faces" rather than making them faint/die. :(

I support all the current placeholders being replaced with the systems they were meant to be replaced by. G-force being one.

Some questions :

Why do we have a red section for G-force?

Why do we have a part of the throttle that goes past 100%?

What does the stupidity stat do?

What does the courage stat do?

What benefit/defecit is there to being a `badass`?

Will we ever get `shmelta vee` displayed, as that is the answer to why are our maneuvers displayed in Dv? (at least this one is in the very long pipeline)

I also support "a mod for hilarious G-force kerbal faces"

The more hilarious the better.

I support all the current placeholders being replaced with the systems they were meant to be replaced by. G-force being one.

Some questions :

Why do we have a red section for G-force?

Why do we have a part of the throttle that goes past 100%?

What does the stupidity stat do?

What does the courage stat do?

What benefit/defecit is there to being a `badass`?

Will we ever get `shmelta vee` displayed, as that is the answer to why are our maneuvers displayed in Dv? (at least this one is in the very long pipeline)

I also support "a mod for hilarious G-force kerbal faces"

The more hilarious the better.

courage and stupidity determine how scared or funny the kerbal faces will be in various situations. BadS is a state where the kerbal will always be smiling with a clueless smile even when being accelerated toward the ground- in the stock game only Jeb and Val have this trait as "True"

[derail]My headcanon is mostly like this, but instead the Hive Queen is a tyrannical leader who is horrible, and all the Kerbals we see are trying to escape their homeworld to move elsewhere, probaly Laythe. That is why they are so helpful and nice, and a bit incompetent, due to being in a rush. [/derail]

Anyway, I would love G-effects on Kerbals (and their faces in the Cockpit Portrait :D), but I would like it as a setting, or prefferably, a slider, like the reentry heat. I would also like it like the G-effects mod, where pilots can withstand more than engineers/scientists, with tolerance going up with pilot expirience.

Xactar?

- - - Updated - - -

courage and stupidity determine how scared or funny the kerbal faces will be in various situations. BadS is a state where the kerbal will always be smiling with a clueless smile even when being accelerated toward the ground- in the stock game only Jeb and Val have this trait as "True"

Actually randomly generated kerbals can have it too

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.