[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

6 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Re: Map view -- I don't do anything regarding keybindings etc;  can you confirm that the problem does or does not exist in a stock install / using stock parts?

Re: Fairing -- known issue.  The bug is actually that fairings can be enabled on many mounts where they should be permanently disabled (e.g. the NONE mount should not have fairings enabled at all).

Re: Scene change buttons - Turns out to be a stock bug. Sorry for bugging you with it.

9 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Re: Scene change buttons - Turns out to be a stock bug. Sorry for bugging you with it.

No worries; that is always one of the risks/concerns when debugging mods.  Often can be hard to tell if it is a stock bug that merely isn't seen in stock, or an actual bug in the mod.

6 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

No worries; that is always one of the risks/concerns when debugging mods.  Often can be hard to tell if it is a stock bug that merely isn't seen in stock, or an actual bug in the mod.

Do you have any plans to add solid motors to the Soyuz boosters? I would like to see them separate like they do in real life with a quick solid at the base and then a delayed booster at the top to make that... I forget the name, but they call it someone's star.

3 minutes ago, Theysen said:

I can swear to I clicked 'quote' on the correct post. I don't even.. 

I find that it will occasionally have saved info from another post I made, and if that's the case then the correct quote often doesn't populate.  Always best to check what you quoted.  At any rate, I think you can just edit the post to include the correct quote.

They already do, (or did in 1.05) the cross:

daL9LeE.png

Have not tried that now that they have integrated decouplers;

Would be extremely tricky adding any kind of engine based jettison mechanics to those parts though; would require quite a bit of additional code to be added to the MFT module that doesn't belong there (code to update/move the thrust transforms and engine thrust); this code would be useless for any other MFT tanks, and I'm hesitant to do that much invasive hackery just to add jettison motors for a single part.

1 minute ago, Shadowmage said:

They already do, (or did in 1.05) the cross:

daL9LeE.png

Have not tried that now that they have integrated decouplers;

Would be extremely tricky adding any kind of engine based jettison mechanics to those parts though; would require quite a bit of additional code to be added to the MFT module that doesn't belong there (code to update/move the thrust transforms and engine thrust); this code would be useless for any other MFT tanks, and I'm hesitant to do that much invasive hackery just to add jettison motors for a single part.

I understand.

Would it be easier to take the side decoupler and add a custom curve to the thrust transforms in the config file so that the bottom one burns out in less then a second then have the top one fire after the bottom one burns out?

Hi there o/

I must say this is one of the best part mods I have come across, I wish I had known about this mod sooner as it perfectly fits the visual style I am always after and doesn't involve me making my own parts pack from like 10 others. The model details are phenomenal and all the different options available in each part make my head spin a little bit, i love it!!!

I do however have a few bugs to report, i am currently using ksp 1.1 x64 on windows, i have the latest version of your mod as of 4/20/16, it seams with MFT installed (latest version as of 4/22/16) some patch stomps all over your resource options and the tanks end up having only the basic resources available, no hydrolox, no hypergolic etc. Remove MFT and all is well, I've looked and can't seem to find a patch that targets your tanks specifically so it may just be a blanket MM patch in MFT that hits any tank with LFO, I haven't spent a huge time checking because I'm also running into a more pressing concern.

Engines and decouplers have no staging options or right click menus in flight. I built a medium sized test rocket just to check out your parts and everything is fine In the editor but when I launch it I only have two staging icons (the Apollo style command module and the LES) and no right click menus for anything else either. Now it could be a mod interop bug as I do have a bunch of other mods installed, or it could be an issue with a specific part, I'll try to do more testing tonight including a clean install to see if i can reproduce the issue and get you something more substantial, but figured i would check in here first to see if any one has already dealt with this issue.

EDIT: This was me being a dummy, never mind :blush:

Again thank you for a beautiful mod pack!

Edited by Akira_R
Hypergolic =/= hyperbolic; I'm a nub

21 hours ago, Akira_R said:

Hi there o/

I must say this is one of the best part mods I have come across, I wish I had known about this mod sooner as it perfectly fits the visual style I am always after and doesn't involve me making my own parts pack from like 10 others. The model details are phenomenal and all the different options available in each part make my head spin a little bit, i love it!!!

I do however have a few bugs to report, i am currently using ksp 1.1 x64 on windows, i have the latest version of your mod as of 4/20/16, it seams with MFT installed (latest version as of 4/22/16) some patch stomps all over your resource options and the tanks end up having only the basic resources available, no hydrolox, no hypergolic etc. Remove MFT and all is well, I've looked and can't seem to find a patch that targets your tanks specifically so it may just be a blanket MM patch in MFT that hits any tank with LFO, I haven't spent a huge time checking because I'm also running into a more pressing concern.

Engines and decouplers have no staging options or right click menus in flight. I built a medium sized test rocket just to check out your parts and everything is fine In the editor but when I launch it I only have two staging icons (the Apollo style command module and the LES) and no right click menus for anything else either. Now it could be a mod interop bug as I do have a bunch of other mods installed, or it could be an issue with a specific part, I'll try to do more testing tonight including a clean install to see if i can reproduce the issue and get you something more substantial, but figured i would check in here first to see if any one has already dealt with this issue.

EDIT: This was me being a dummy, never mind :blush:

Again thank you for a beautiful mod pack!

Noted;  MFT/Real-Fuels support is currently non-functional while I am finishing up work on the new resource-system.  Should be finished up and working again in a week or so.  (note to self: remove/disable real-fuels patch until it is done :) )

15 hours ago, _Augustus_ said:

When I dock two vessels together with your docking ports (trying to do Apollo 9), it says Focus:Kerbin, the camera drifts, and I can't control the ship anymore.

You know the drill...

Logs? (need these to know what the problem might be)

Does the problem exist on a stock + sstu (and dependencies) install?  (need to eliminate any other potential mod conflicts)

Not going to even look into it until those are posted/answered.

37 minutes ago, DarthVader said:

how goes Satellite Core? really interested in using modular satellites

Well, I'm currently working on getting the ModelSwitch system in place.  Another forum member is (was?) working on a couple probe core bus systems.

However there are several other things planned ahead of the satellites/probes (station parts mostly), and I wouldn't expect to see them for at least a few months (unless said forum member surprises me with some models).

On the note of ModelSwitching -- wow.  Complex... but capable.

It is graph/tree based.  Parent -> child -> more children -> etc.  Each parent may have multiple children; each child may have its own children.  Each model defines 'model nodes' where the children are positioned.  Unused 'model nodes' may optionally be exposed as attach nodes on the part.  It all integrates with VolumeContainer to dynamically update the resources/volumes available as models are changed; with support for multiple containers, fuel presets... all those other goodies.

If you wanted to take the time to setup the config for it you could nearly build entire rockets with it... with swappable components :) (single-stage rockets at least).  Essentially I've replicated a bit of how vessels are constructed in the editor; though the parts available are limited by config, and positions/orientations are pre-defined.

Combine all that with the upcoming ModuleSwitch stuff (not even started yet) and the VolumeContainer resource system, and you've got one very powerful system for setting up modular parts.  It is generic enough that I could almost move the MFT parts over to use it (it lacks/will not have fairing integration though).

As I do not yet have a real use-case for some of the more advanced functionality I'll likely be including a 'test part' that is setup with random models to verify the setup and those functions.

Should have an updated testing release here in a few hours; mostly just bug-fixes.. but a lot of them :)  No clue if the models-switch test part(s) will be available... still working on the module a bit; we'll see how it goes.

On 4/21/2016 at 10:58 AM, GoldForest said:

Saturn V was actually supposed to receive moar boosters.

Saturn_V_upgrades.jpg

Check these out. Those enough boosters for you? Answer: Good enough, but could be moar!

According to Astronautix, the second from the right with the 260 inch solids was supposed to have fuel tanks ON TOP OF THE SRBs, to extend them so that they could mount to the interstage. The fuel would drain from them first and they'd jettison when the SRBs burned out.

3 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

According to Astronautix, the second from the right with the 260 inch solids was supposed to have fuel tanks ON TOP OF THE SRBs, to extend them so that they could mount to the interstage. The fuel would drain from them first and they'd jettison when the SRBs burned out.

LoL... and I thought I'de seen it all :)

That is actually a pretty novel way to do drop tanks (on top of SRBs).  If sized appropriately they could finish draining right as the SRBs burn out (and/or you could adjust the SRB burn times).

Now I'm going to have to try it out in-game :)

Just now, Shadowmage said:

LoL... and I thought I'de seen it all :)

That is actually a pretty novel way to do drop tanks (on top of SRBs).  If sized appropriately they could finish draining right as the SRBs burn out (and/or you could adjust the SRB burn times).

Now I'm going to have to try it out in-game :)

It really is a neat idea! The wanted to stretch the S-1C but the lowest part of the rocket that was structurally sound enough to attach the top mounting hardware was the interstage between the S-1c and the S-II. The SRBs already wouldn't reach, so they just stuck the fuel from the tank stretch on top of the boosters to lengthen them!

Those kind of things is why I like the Jupiter III :)  It's first stage is basically just and engine group with two STS tanks on the side, this makes for a VERY short first stage.

JupiterIII_05.jpg

Edited by Jimbodiah

I know you said that you weren't concentrating on the Series E parts as of now, but just a few *to do* things when you get around to it. I'm not sure if these things were addressed, but I'll re-address them. 

1. While you did separate the gear from the wings/fuselage, you forgot to add a "Open Gear Bay Door" to the fuselage UI.
  2. Will have to properly set the EVA to the position on the model prior to 1.1 as it's back at the rear. (It shows the crew in one part and the IVA up front with the crew looking at another IVA through the window)
  3. A possible re-work CoM since when you do take off. It does a very nice impression of Evel Knieval doing flips off the ramp. Haven't tried with just SRBs yet and no SSMEs.
  4. Cannot Action Group the tail wing at all. So you can unleash the drogue chute at a press of the button.  

These are just the few things I've noticed with the quick testing I've done so far. I will probably go into the mod to see if  can fix anything so you won't have to worry about it. I will keep you updated and post more on the Git if it's something major and to have a record of what's going on. Please don't bash me for testing the E parts when you said you weren't going to worry with them yet. 

Side note: You will need a bunch of launch clamps to support the shuttle now. I used 4 at the base of the EFT and it just drooped towards the CoM. Ended up using 8 to support it. 2 on top of the sides of the SRBs and 2 spread out centered middle and top. 

If you know all about these things, please excuse me. I'm only trying to help. :) 

Updated testing release is available:

https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/releases/tag/0.4.31-pre5

Lots of fixes and enhancements.  Fairing interaction cleaned up quite a bit.  Lots more work on VolumeContainer and ModelSwitch modules, both are nearing a usable state.  Added back in the LC2-POD to test the model-switch and container integration and basic functions, as well as another purely test part.  See the link for full change-log and more details.

Will be continuing work on the ModelSwitch, and finishing off the VolumeContainer features.  Notably the 'Container Type' setups for VolumeContainer, some sort of boiloff mechanic for cryogenic fuels, and the ModelSwitch handling of cost, mass, and scaled model volumes.

Next up will be adapting all remaining modules and parts for VolumeContainer interaction; MSRB, CMs, SMs, ICPS/HUS, MHS.  After those are all cleaned up I'll be moving on to fixing wheels/landing legs, and re-integrating/fixing the Series-E parts.

21 hours ago, _Augustus_ said:

When I dock two vessels together with your docking ports (trying to do Apollo 9), it says Focus:Kerbin, the camera drifts, and I can't control the ship anymore.

I have tracked this down to being a stock bug with docking ports.  Anytime I use the 'decouple node' function of a port, the camera gets all shaky and things go a bit wonky.

It could be related to mechjeb or..well.. thats about it; don't have any other mods installed in my dev setup.  Going to remove MJ and test again.

The problem can be duplicated with this (mostly) stock craft:

42cWJVa.png

Hyper-edit it into orbit, and hit 'decouple node' on either docking port and the camera will start to shake.  Switching to the other vessel will remove the camera shake, but switch back and it returns.  If you dock them back together the camera shake still persists.

Can anyone else confirm this bug with a similar / all stock craft / under normal play-circumstances?  And/or does anyone know if it is already a reported bug on the KSP bug-tracker?

3 minutes ago, Cheesecake said:

I have a problem with the FR and FR-W Payload Fairings. When i use it in the VAB the Mass of the Launcher counts up endless.

I have the latest Release of SSTU (pre-5).

Logs?  Does it happen with an otherwise stock install? (just stock+SSTU+MM+CRP)  Did you submit a bug report to the issues tracker with that information?

I cannot duplicate what you are experiencing; the mass appears to be calculating properly in the editor.  Will need the above questions answered before I can investigate further.

1 hour ago, Shadowmage said:

I have tracked this down to being a stock bug with docking ports.  Anytime I use the 'decouple node' function of a port, the camera gets all shaky and things go a bit wonky.

It could be related to mechjeb or..well.. thats about it; don't have any other mods installed in my dev setup.  Going to remove MJ and test again.

The problem can be duplicated with this (mostly) stock craft:

Hyper-edit it into orbit, and hit 'decouple node' on either docking port and the camera will start to shake.  Switching to the other vessel will remove the camera shake, but switch back and it returns.  If you dock them back together the camera shake still persists.

Can anyone else confirm this bug with a similar / all stock craft / under normal play-circumstances?  And/or does anyone know if it is already a reported bug on the KSP bug-tracker?

More testing on this reveals it to be a problem with Hyper-edit;  the same craft works fine if -flown- into space; but HE it up there... and stuff gets a bit odd.  Going to do a bit more testing to try and narrow it down more... but for now I would have to recommend against using HE (BETA-3 version for 1.1).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.