[WIP] [1.1.2] DIRECT - Super-Heavy Launchers - REVAMP RELEASE

benjee10

13 hours ago, benjee10 said:

aFzHw06.png?1

3.75m Orion pod. 

:D Looks Gorgeous :D 

What will the SM look like?

8 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

Had some chance today to block out the Altair lander (sans landing gear). I'll be going for the horizontal cylinder configuration of the earlier visualisations rather than the vertical cylinder of newer ones (because it looks more interesting IMO).

qagudD2.png

Six fuel tanks in the descent stage with two gaps where there will be places to attach stuff like science equipment or KIS containers. 

OJ6b2bg.png

The IVA will be laid out something like this, with a pilot at the front and then three kerbals in the back. 

jaIqo1i.png

Close-up of the ascent stage. Diameter is 1.25m, top attach node is 0.9375m. I'm thinking the engine should be larger and be monoprop fuelled, perhaps even 1.25m in diameter to work as a Shuttle OMS engine as well. Still undecided whether to make a custom descent stage engine or just allow clustering of other engines (maybe the ascent stage engine?) 

EPICNESS :D

I can't wait to see this ingame. FINALLY I can create a decent lunar base ferry. :D 

Also, @benjee10. Why not make a cargo variant of the Altair? That's how we can assemble the base. 

b9ECmJH.png

NhSVMo3.png

Soon.

Bizarrely this thing is actually quite underpowered at the moment. I'm going to have to mess around with how much hydrogen the parts can hold (I deliberately set it low so that the shuttle parts wouldn't be too OP, but it turns out to make setting up a Jupiter III like this rather difficult as the vast number of 1st stage engines burn through the external tank fuel before the SRBs are spent). I'm also playing with SRB thrust curves with varying results. 

The 7.5m parts also still need decouplers, a proper fairing base, some thrust plates and some new hydrogen-fuelled engines to be in the second stage (the first stage SSMEs drop away to reveal J-2X engines).

In case you haven't already seen it, I stumbled upon this presentation outlining various potential Shuttle-Derived Vehicles. Seeing as you mentioned Shuttle-C in your roadmap, you may find this useful in providing some ideas or guidance, as pictures are always useful, right? :wink: 

I'm also going to go ahead and tag @Pak in this (and probably go and post it in their mod thread), seeing as they are currently making shuttle parts, and this might be useful if they're at a loss for ideas further down the line

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Gaultesian said:

So is the new command pod in the newest download?  I cannot open mine until I get home from work :(.

Can't wait to play this (beta?) mod!

Yup, command pod is in this version! 

And it's definitely a beta. Balance feedback greatly appreciated!

Just now, Sgt.Shutesie said:

@benjee10 Do the KS-25s have a higher max temperature now? So they don't overheat on shuttle ascent after booster sep.

I didn't change it but in testing I haven't had any issues - there's ten on the base of the Jupiter III I built and it gets to orbit and way beyond with no heat issues. I upped the ISP to be the same as the real RS-25 as well. 

Just now, benjee10 said:

I didn't change it but in testing I haven't had any issues - there's ten on the base of the Jupiter III I built and it gets to orbit and way beyond with no heat issues. I upped the ISP to be the same as the real RS-25 as well. 

I'll try it out again, I think it has to do with the added weight from the Cormorant lifting body that puts more stress on the SSMEs to get to orbit.

On 19 May 2016 at 11:53 PM, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Wow, those tanks look beautiful!

Can you include a version that runs on stock fuels, by chance?

Not to come across as needy, though. I config editted what I needed myself.

Cheers! There are LFO versions of the 5m tanks included (they're the black & white ones) but ultimately the parts are balanced for stock by using LiquidHydrogen rather than LiquidFuel, so I don't intend any LFO versions of the larger 7m tanks. 

6 hours ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Has an incompatibility with Ven's Stock Revamp been brought up yet? It breaks your re-made Hydrogen SSME.

Yeah, I just encountered that myself, it's because Ven's patches automatically replace the old model with his model in every file. Thankfully there's a reasonably simple fix. In GameData/VenStockRevamp/PathPatches/Engines-PathPatches.cfg you need to delete

@MODEL,* {
		@model ^= :^Squad/Parts/Engine/liquidEngineSSME/SSME:VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Propulsion/KS-25:
	}

from the end. That'll stop ModuleManager replacing the model path in the .cfg file.

18 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

Yeah, I just encountered that myself, it's because Ven's patches automatically replace the old model with his model in every file. Thankfully there's a reasonably simple fix. In GameData/VenStockRevamp/PathPatches/Engines-PathPatches.cfg you need to delete

@MODEL,* {
		@model ^= :^Squad/Parts/Engine/liquidEngineSSME/SSME:VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Propulsion/KS-25:
	}

from the end. That'll stop ModuleManager replacing the model path in the .cfg file.

Alternatively you can make another cfg and add:

@PART[DIRECT_RS25] { 
	!mesh = DELETE
	!MODEL {}
	MODEL {
		model = VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Propulsion/KS-25
		scale = 1.25,1.25,1.25
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleJettison]{
		@jettisonName = fairing
	}
	node_stack_top2 = 0.0, 0.79, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
	MODULE
	{
       name = ModuleJettison
       jettisonName = Size2A
       bottomNodeName = top2
       isFairing = True
       jettisonedObjectMass = 0.1
       jettisonForce = 0
       jettisonDirection = 0 0 1

}
}

5 hours ago, benjee10 said:

-snip-

Did that before i even posted. :wink:

Really though, this thing goes super well with Nertea's cryo engines, as I'm sure you were shooting for. I used his J2x to make a pretty wicked Jupiter. Today I'm going to shoot for a space shuttle of some kind. 

Also i noticed that the first stage of this before mentioned Jupiter that used 3 or your Hydrolox SSMEs and a few of your 5m orange tanks burned through all of its hydrogen with a noticeable fraction of oxidizer left. That's not supposed to happen, is it? 

So I was craving for a launcher pack and it looks like I found it. (In fact after playing with it in the VAB, I may have deleted all the runner's up, I liked it so much!) A few things:

• I've already mentioned how much I like your texture work in other threads, and again that's the case here. I also like really like the orange you went with (and the whole 5m tank selection). Names are great too.
  • A minor disappointment with the usage of the stock SSME, but that's mainly because I'm using Ven's Stock Revamp, and for some reason it's causing conflicts (that's a "me" issue). I have Nertea's most excellent Cryo Engines anyway, so I'll probably just use those. I suspect that's the idea, as suggested above.
  • As I suspect you know, the Podcockpit IVA is a 3 person, whilst your pod seats 6. If you're "shopping" for IVAs, there is the Taurus Pod IVA (at 7 with a two deck configuration), and Nertea's NFSC Inline Command Pod (at 6). Both are size3. Unlikely you'd want the added dependency, but it's a thought.
  • The weight of the "small" Kronos fuel tank is 9, same as the medium one, while the large sits at 17.
  • The bulkheadprofiles on the fairings both read size3
    • nCollidersPerXSection ???
  • Will we be seeing any more 7m parts? I don't think I saw any on the road map, but I'd just hate for the name "Kronos" to not get sufficient usage.:D
  • This one is just a general question about the thrust curves on your SRBs, since I don't really have any experience with them, but does it matter what order you arrange the keys? I ask, because I was comparing them to curves from SpaceY Lifters, and while they seem to say the same thing, they seem to be saying it in reverse if you get me. (This is one is just for curiosity's sake). You can see the two curves below if you're interested.

That's about all I have; great stuff as usual - glad to see  you pick this one back up.:)

Cheers.

---edit: Ah, you already know the Ven issue.

Spoiler

thrustCurve //----DIRECT_LV
		{
			key = 0.00 0.20
			key = 0.02 0.50
			key = 0.10 0.60
			key = 0.50 0.80
			key = 0.80 0.90
			key = 0.90 1.00
			key = 1.00 1.00
		}

thrustCurve //-----SpaceY Lifters
		{
			key = 1.00 1.0	// full fuel, full flow rate.
			key = 0.05 1.0	// 5% fuel remaining, full flow rate ends
			key = 0.00 0.1	// 0 fuel remaining, 10% flow rate.
		} 

Edited by Deimos Rast

• 2 weeks later...
On 22 May 2016 at 10:14 AM, TopHatDragon said:

Alternatively you can make another cfg and add:

@PART[DIRECT_RS25] { 
	!mesh = DELETE
	!MODEL {}
	MODEL {
		model = VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Propulsion/KS-25
		scale = 1.25,1.25,1.25
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleJettison]{
		@jettisonName = fairing
	}
	node_stack_top2 = 0.0, 0.79, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
	MODULE
	{
       name = ModuleJettison
       jettisonName = Size2A
       bottomNodeName = top2
       isFairing = True
       jettisonedObjectMass = 0.1
       jettisonForce = 0
       jettisonDirection = 0 0 1

}
}

How would I make the config? Sorry, but I'm kind of a newbie as far as configs go, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2016 at 0:51 PM, benjee10 said:

Not too fast currently, doing a couple of VFX jobs at the moment which are eating up all of my computer time!

No worries mate, this is a treat to play with as it is!

I actually came here to post a question about the ratios on the B-Series tanks, since it was way off the usual LH2/Ox norm. Turns out it's actually LF/Ox. Funny that. :rolleyes:

As an aside, does anyone know of a good IVA for the Orion? All the ones I've tried don't match that well.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.