Top Gun AI - The Official Tournament Thread

Well, I have a plane that would love to meet all of you, but it doesn't have a stock cockpit.
Yes, it's as formidable as it looks. :)

http://s40.photobucket.com/user/Max_Payne_0001/media/screenshot5_4.png.htmlscreenshot5_4.png

EDIT: HOLY S$$%!! It's a PITA to put pictures here now....glad I finally figured it out. GRRRR!!

Edited by GDJ

2 minutes ago, Triop said:

Didn't XMF-1 hacked the cfg file to set his firing interval to 0.1 ?

Yes, but it is changeable back to 1 anyway, and it still won that way.

3 minutes ago, GDJ said:

[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e216/Max_Payne_0001/screenshot5_4.png[/img]

Well, I have a plane that would love to meet all of you, but it doesn't have a stock cockpit.

Looks like a plane that can't turn to me... like its real life counterpart.

2 minutes ago, GDJ said:

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e216/Max_Payne_0001/screenshot5_4.png

Well, I don't have that mod...

Besides, if we start using mod parts here this thread will become a mess I think...And the rules says no.

Yeah I know the rules. Been here before.
I'll see if I can make a stock version......damn shame really. Looks good this way.

4 minutes ago, Alphasus said:

Looks like a plane that can't turn to me... like its real life counterpart.

You might be surprised.

2 minutes ago, GDJ said:

Yeah I know the rules. Been here before.
I'll see if I can make a stock version......damn shame really. Looks good this way.

You might be surprised.

Want a copy of the X-01 StarFlux to test against? No wing stacking, just huge wing area.

1 hour ago, Triop said:

Wow, Blue, I like your MiG-21...Untill it shot me down :confused:

"Damn, this kid is good"

I tried the HNC (with added Vulcan cannon) against your MiG-15, once again the MiG completely avoided every single missile with ease. 

Eventually the HNC got on the MiG's tail while climbing vertically and shot off one of the wings. The El Quicko actually did better in the guns battle than the HNC despite being so much worse at missile fights, it's lower wing loading and better pitch authority than the HNC got it in firing position much quicker.

The next few rounds were pretty much the same, with the HNC firing off a few Sidewinders, the MiG evading with ease, and a gun battle where the HNC ends up winning. One time the HNC actually bumped into the remains of the MiG.

One time a lucky Aim-9 got through, but that was the only missile hit I've ever got on the MiG. I think if it got some missiles of it's own and maybe some more wing area to help boost maneuverability it'd be a very hard fighter to beat, the TWR and ability to evade missiles are incredible. I tried deactivating the HNC's Vulcan to see if it could get a missile kill on the MiG, but the MiG ran out of fuel before the HNC even got the chance to fire all it's Sidewinders.

MwlMSwT.jpg

One plane to rule them all...

I shall call it Anduril.

MwUVHBV.jpg

YrEliGK.jpg

mdWrhuf.jpg

http://www./download/06urq8ax4urxa51/Anduril_Mk1.craft

4x Aim 120 = 16

4x Chaff = 8

2x Flares = 6

1x GAU 8 30mm = 14

2x Ammo box = 8

Total = 52

When you can't stack wings, you just make a bigger plane. :D It's a great missile platform, good at dodging missiles and an excellent dogfighter, (provided the AI doesn't do anything silly like fly in a straight line for no reason). Plus I always wanted a fighter fitted with a GAU.

Edited by Redshift OTF

4 hours ago, Alphasus said:

Sorry, but Anduril beats that pretty easily. It may turn well but it's a slow plane. Probably needs a Panther on it but even then...

18 hours ago, Triop said:

Your plane has been shot down! 

MiG-15

vfPkaSv.png

Vulcan hidden + 2 ammo boxes, 15 points used...

Try and Die...

MiG 15 File : yeah right  :D

Nah just kidding, here you go :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxg06lhi889tzak/MiG-15.craft?dl=0

No shame here, my MiG is no joke, if anyone can beat it let me know....And yes, I am Tom Cruise. :cool:

yCxdseM.png

I have seen Migs closer before

"Who needs missiles anyway, b.t.w. the flares and shaff is for show, even without them you can't hit me" Vladimir.

Hey, this is a great little plane! Just shows you what you can do with something small and light. Dodges missiles well.

Still dead though. :P

6 minutes ago, drtricky said:

My new practice plane!...looks like I'm going to need to adapt my Taurus even more to that new standard :(

Thanks! I think it shows that bigger planes can match smaller planes at Manouverability. And I think that's good for your Taurus design too if you can perfect it.

6 minutes ago, ihtoit said:

those engines look like they're set too high, all that thing's gonna want to do is pitch down.

Nope. You can compensate by tilting the engines down 2 degrees or as much as needed to maintain a near zero angle of attack on the body. Besides, the wings are tilted 3 degrees up for proper lift characteristics.

11 hours ago, Alphasus said:

But, can you beat it?

Yes.

9fNF7TP.pngAnd I did, took a lot of work, but first:

Different height settings needs different steer factors settings, we need rules about Fighting heights, 150/500 or fighting at 600/1500, steer factor needs to be tuned !

Maybe we should start a new challenge thread, or at least make the rules clear....

@pica that was not a succesfull landing from FA-33 GoldenHawk btw...:sticktongue:

We need to look for the best fighter, doing 1 on 1 battle challenges I think.

I don't care who wins, I just want to learn how to build the ultimate fighter :cool:

(Not giving file for my fighter yet, need sleep first,had some CnH2n+1OH.....^_^..... happy new year gentlemen.)

Goodnight.

Edited by Triop

11 hours ago, Triop said:

Well, I don't have that mod...

Besides, if we start using mod parts here this thread will become a mess I think...And the rules says no.

I'd like to apologize for my comment @GDJ

It's just that I have some great fighters using the F-22 cockpit...that also I am not aloud to use....sorry mate, happy newyear, may our fights be glorious ^_^

2 hours ago, Triop said:

I'd like to apologize for my comment @GDJ

It's just that I have some great fighters using the F-22 cockpit...that also I am not aloud to use....sorry mate, happy newyear, may our fights be glorious ^_^

Dude, chillax! I took no offence to what you said. Don't worry about it.
At my age I have a pretty thick skin.

And happy new year to you and everybody here.....may the winds be at our backs, calm air in the stratosphere, and all our planes outfly the angels themselves.

@Triop

Yet more fights against your MiG:

This was with the nearest thing I had to the MiG, an ultra-low part Hawker Hunter type-thing powered by a non-vectoring Panther. It has 4 sidewinders but they almost never even got close to the MiG. Most of the fight was fought with the twin M230s.

Download

The first fight was so evenly matched that the MiG ran out of fuel and landed before either plane could damage the other.

The next few fights seemed to show the hunter having a slight advantage, although I'm not sure why since it has a lower TWR and comparable wing loading to the MiG, and lacks thrust vectoring. The most common result was that it managed to shoot the MiG's engine, forcing it to land.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.