Top Gun AI - The Official Tournament Thread

I just record round 31, uploading the video now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I actually had to film this round twice; I screwed up the recording process and lost the footage the first time. The first, non-canonical, match came down to a 2-win-all sudden-death. Little Buster fired off a hail-mary missile volley whilst tumbling through the air with both tail fins and rudders shot off to win the match.

Here is the footage of the second take of this match. F-9 Hummingbird wins 3-2. It took rounds 1, 4, and 5.

[insert video here when upload completes]

Is it still uploading?

These are where I staged the match and my previous test video.

Ice Caps:

Lat = 97, Lon = whatever

(Don't use Lat = 90, this will destroy the vehicle. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

Desert, near the coast:

Lat = 0, Lon = 250

Depends on the tank. If it's the Mk1 round ones I would use the structural version. If they are the Mk2 ones, yes but the total amount of fuel of the clipped tanks must not be more than a single unclipped one.

Example: You clip two tanks together. Each tank must be brought down to 1/2 capacity so they equal a single tank.

I think Alphasus wanted to consider the clipped tanks as a single assembly (or at least that's my interpretation of the rules on page 27).

5EILxxZl.png

40usbsCl.png

LRdU69cl.png

So I have a fuel tank hidden to keep the tail fin straight (because my OCD DEMANDS it be straight!).

In the other's case I have the middle tanks empty.

For this tournament do the planes start fighting in the air at altitude and distance or are they armed on the ground right next to each other? From what I saw on John Jones channel they are arm on the ground.

I can use all 60 points right? 3xAIM120, 4xAIM9, 3xflares, 2xchaff, 1xammo, 1xVulcan Hidden?

I'll probably bring out my CF-86 again. I made some improvements in the balance of the parts, plus it's now equipped with a pair of AIM-9 missiles (just like the F-86H model in real life).

Oh, and yes you can use the entire 60 points if you wish, unless the tournament host makes any changes, and that will be announced prior to the tournament, just like the last time.

BTW, congrats to the winner of the last tournament. Well done!

Not sure which to put up. Both seem equally matched.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Xeric: Single engine, 45 part fighter: 4xAIM9, 2xAIM120, 3x3 Flares, 4xChaff, 1xAmmo, 1xVulcan

Xylindine: Two engine, 85 part fighter: 4xAIM9, 3xAIM120, 3x3 Flares, 2xChaff, 1xAmmo, 1xVulcan

http://www./download/10p2ob5bl6606bl/Xeric+and+Xylidine.zip

I think... I think I will go with the Xylindine... NO WAIT I'll go with the Xeric, yes, because it has the fewest parts, so smallest fighter?

Edited by RuBisCO

Kind of too op. I am still puzzled that why those small planes have less wing are but can turnmuch better than a plane with massive wing are and slightly larger fuselage

Mass, inertia from mass, and drag.

Well my Xylindine manages to hold par with my smaller Xeric. Mainly the Xylindine is more damage resistant, I made a 95 part "tougher wing" Xylindine (v1.1) to increase its survivability more, but it only improves by a few percentage points, at least against AIM9 and 20mm, the AIM120 just obliterates no matter what. So what I think I observe going on is one damage Xylindine gimping along distracts the Xerics such that the other can finish them off.

goypx0Fl.png

L77D9HMl.png

T9wU9gbl.png

If everyone is going to throw in small single engine fighters then I think I will put up my Xylindine instead of the smaller Xeric just to shack things up.

http://www./download/otr3byzai9aofvc/Xylidine.zip

Question: does the ECM jammer do anything... It does not seem to reduce the chance of AIM120 hits at all. Is there a trick to the things other then turning them on?

Edited by RuBisCO

Mass, inertia from mass, and drag.

Thank you. As that shows, small planes should be better. E.G. why B-2 bombers aren't stealth fighters, regardless of wing area.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, the FA-33 may or may not return to the next tournament, depending on rules and balancing.

Thank you. As that shows, small planes should be better. E.G. why B-2 bombers aren't stealth fighters, regardless of wing area.

Yeah, but if one breaks it all down:

Mass: Hurts the most when you want to change direction or change acceleration. Biggest issue is when you want to take-off.

--Benefit: can smooth out vibrations or help maintain stability at high velocities.

Inertia from mass: Once you get the object moving, it wants to stay moving in the same direction. Turning is the biggest issue

--Benefit: None really. It's a PITA

Drag: The more parts, the more drag. Simple as that.

--Benefit: None really. It's the way it is:

--How to combat it:

1) keep your parts count low

2) look at the parts that are on your leading edge. Choose the best for lowest Cd

3) STOP PUTTING A MILLION FINS AND WING SURFACES ON YOUR PLANE!! THIS ISN'T STARCRAFT OR BABYLON 5!! Besides, it's more parts to add to a target. If you want to paint a bullseye on your plane, please continue to do so.

4) Keep your CG and CL positions in their proper place

5) Make sure your plane doesn't exceed 3 degrees Angle of Attack. This is the biggest contributor to drag. Ideal for almost all planes here is 1.6 to 1.1 degrees. Any lower and your risk instability due to changes in your direction of lift. Any higher and you might as well have a B-52 in this tournament.

Just my 2¢.....

Question: does the ECM jammer do anything... It does not seem to reduce the chance of AIM120 hits at all. Is there a trick to the things other then turning them on?

I'm not fond of it. It does work, but it's a heavy draggy piece. Adding chaff in the proper places to confuse the AIM-120's radar tracking works just as well, and you don't have the weight or drag issues.

Here's my entry! sorry no professional pictures or the like i'm a noob :S...

The CX-11 Star Slugger:

http://kerbalx.com/Mr_Hubris/CX-11-Star-Slugger

This craft is the silliest thing in the world, I love it.

I was considering running a tournament myself since I have the hardware for it. Does anyone have suggestions? I was thinking of doing planes in pairs, where a user submits two planes as a team instead of one, with a maximum of 150 parts between them.

Edited by CreativeCombat

I was thinking of doing planes in pairs, where a user submits two planes as a team instead of one, with a maximum of 150 parts between them.

I like this idea!

If your going to host you need to video record it, so you need the software for that and a machine that can record and play two teams against each other.

You should make another thread for this derivative AI tournament, Call it "Top Wing AI" or something, teams of two craft, 150 parts total, 120 points total via the points system establish here.

Edited by RuBisCO

Alright, I'll do it that way then.

Are there any balance changes that should be made based on what was learned from the last tournament? Or should I just copy-paste the rules from Alphasus' tournament and make my adjustments?

I kinda got carried away and re made my planes before the tourney criteria came out... anyhow I based my two craft on the criteria that i on the first page of this thread... I hope that's what's going to be used >.< however it is your tournament so I will adjust if needed. Part count for both aircraft combined is exactly 150 parts.

CX-11 Micro Hubris:

Chaff x4 - 8 points

Flares x4 - 12 points

Vulcan Turret x1 - 7 points

AIM 120 x2 - 8 points

AIM 9 x2 - 12 points

TOTAL:49 points

http://kerbalx.com/Mr_Hubris/CX-417-Micro-Hubris

CX-11 Hubris:

Chaff x4 - 8 points

Flares x4 - 12 points

Vulcan Turret x2 - 14 points

AIM-120 x2 - 8 points

AIM-9 x2 - 12 points

TOTAL: 54

http://kerbalx.com/Mr_Hubris/CX-11-Hubris

Picture of both of them can be found on the kerbalx website.

Creative combat PLEASE DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE CRAFT FILES LISTED ABOVE UNTIL THE SET IN STONE RULES ARE PUT UP... ty <3

Edited by Mr_Hubris
needed more info

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.