Top Gun AI - The Official Tournament Thread

Basically it allows the guns to be more powerful than the missiles. With unlocked turrets your enemy can be behind you and you'd be able to kill them. Totally fake in a Top Gun fighter plane, but on a bomber it would be fine.

IIRC, we agreed on a +2 / -2 / 4 degrees total yaw allowable movement on the rotatable turrets. This compensated for the plane's bouncing and vibration but they still required decent aiming on the plane's part.

In my personal experience any movement beyond 5 degrees in any direction. and you might as well toss the missiles away.

The problem is that guards can aim now. So no turret rotation is needed, lest it provide a major advantage.

Alright, as of now I put forward that all movable guns be locked AGAIN to ZERO.

Otherwise, toss your missiles in the dumpster.

I second this.

- - - Updated - - -

ADDENDUM:Without the rule change, this tournament will be a farce and both planes will be destroyed if turrets are not locked.

I second this.

- - - Updated - - -

ADDENDUM:Without the rule change, this tournament will be a farce and both planes will be destroyed if turrets are not locked.

And any plane running non-rotatable gun assemblies will be at a severe disadvantage. They might as well go in unarmed.

Edited by GDJ

I second this.

- - - Updated - - -

I really, really wanted to keep the rules completely solid after I initially posted them and it troubles me that this has not been possible. However, due to my misunderstanding of what "Fixed Forward" meant in the original post, as well as Alphasus' tournament post, I have edited the original tournament post to explicitly state with what was previously implicit. I would recommend future tournament hosts to do the same.

I really, really wanted to keep the rules completely solid after I initially posted them and it troubles me that this has not been possible. However, due to my misunderstanding of what "Fixed Forward" meant in the original post, as well as Alphasus' tournament post, I have edited the original tournament post to explicitly state with what was previously implicit. I would recommend future tournament hosts to do the same.

Sorry if it looks like were busting your coconuts, but really we aren't. It's just something that we've learned from previous tournaments, and we like to keep things like this static.

The rest of the rules look great actually! I'm looking forward for the team matches to go forth.

Sorry if it looks like were busting your coconuts, but really we aren't. It's just something that we've learned from previous tournaments, and we like to keep things like this static.

The rest of the rules look great actually! I'm looking forward for the team matches to go forth.

All good. Ensuring the tournament is balanced and enjoyable is and always will be my primary focus in managing it.

My only complaint is that this wasn't all resolved way back at post #719. In the future, I'll provide a pastebin of proposed tournament rules so clarifications can be provided and the rules discussed before sign-ups.

Thanks for the submissions everyone!

AWIMBAWE

First plane: Heatwave 2-b (I'm running out of names...)

2x GAU-8 28pt

2x ammo can 8pt

2x chaff 4pt

2x flare 6pt

total = 46pt

Second plane: Heatwave 2-a (I know the order is kind of weird, ignore it)

2x Vulcan Hidden 14pt

2x chaff 4pt

2x flare 6pt

2x ammo can 8pt

3x AIM 120 12pt

total= 44pt

Total pt for both planes= 90pt

Download link: https://www./?ba893z4gmfdjwdo (The are both in it)

I failed to receive this one. The download link sent me to a .rar file, which I can't do anything with on account of not having WinRar or any similar program. I assume the planes are inside the .rar file. Please just provide two links, one to each craft file.

- - - Updated - - -

AWIMBAWE

Okay, change of plans for the planes:

First and second planes are the same, but new design.

Typhoon MK1

2X AIM9 - 12 points

1X AIM120 - 4 points

3X .50 cal turrets - 12 points

1X .50 cal ammunition - 4 points

4X Chaff - 8 points

1X Flare - 3 points

Total: 43 points per plane

Part count per plane: 58

Download links:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7gts9nx118hsc4s/GDJ-Typhoon%20MK1-1.craft?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2e2p95m9dfk78ep/GDJ-Typhoon%20MK1-2.craft?dl=0

Received, inspected, and accepted.

- - - Updated - - -

AWIMBAWE

Vulture 2

1 Vulcan Hidden = 7pts

1 Ammo Can = 4pts

4 AIM 120 = 16pts

2 AIM 9 = 12pts

2 Flare = 6pts

2 Chaff = 4pts

TOTAL = 49pts

Pixie 3

1 Vulcan Hidden = 7pts

1 Ammo Can = 4pts

4 AIM 120 = 16pts

2 Flare = 6pts

2 Chaff = 4pts

TOTAL = 37pts

Received, inspected, and accepted. Design Note: I like the double wing design, I think it'll do well.

- - - Updated - - -

AWIMBAWE

Here is my submission:

The Bullet: http://kerbalx.com/marsrocks/MarsRocks---1---The-Bullet

8x AIM120 = 32

4x Chaff = 8

4x Flare =12

TOTAL = 52

The Missile: http://kerbalx.com/marsrocks/MarsRocks---2---The-Missile

1x Vulcan Hidden = 7

1x 20mm Ammo = 4

5x Chaff = 10

3x Flare = 9

2x AIM120 = 8

TOTAL = 38

Grand Total = 90

Received, inspected, and accepted. Design Note: Countermeasures seem excessive and the plane's resulting lack of offense might hinder it in the tournament.

- - - Updated - - -

ok please reserve a spot for me in this tourney i am fixing this problem ASAP

- - - Updated - - -

AWIMBAWE

ok try these links, get back to me ASAP if it works or not and ill work out another way to get it to you if its still stuborn

craft file here

craft file here

Second plane is okay, though it didn't follow the naming scheme (I rectified that). The first one is not.

I don't have a problem with the control surfaces being inside the plane, but I do count them as wings. As such, that MASSIVE nest of clipped evelons on either side of the cockpit is completely unacceptable. I'm willing to excuse the ones that are a little clipped into each other symmetrically, but only just.

This was a little obscure in the tournament post and clarified later, but if you have a gun on your plane which can rotate (The Vulcan turret and the .50cal turret), its 'Max Pitch', 'Min Pitch', and 'Yaw Range' all have to be set to zero. This isn't the case on either of the planes, and while I edited the both to comply with the rules, it seems like you weren't aware of or misunderstood this when designing them. So, to clarify.

1. Control surfaces count as wings, and while I'm okay with them being inside that the structural panels and even the ones that are a little clipped into each other from symmetry, the 'nest' of clipped evelons on either side of the cockpit is not acceptable and disqualifies the plane.

2. These planes do not follow the naming scheme. I rectified this, but it is worth noting.

3. Turrets have to be set to 0/0/0 for maximum pitch, minimum pitch, and yaw range. Also rectified, but somewhat breaks the planes.

4. Please state what weapons the points went into. I counted it up on the second plane and it was fine, but didn't bother on the first since it's not acceptable in its current form. Simply writing out what weapons/countermeasures you've spent your points on saves me a massive amount of time, and while it's not something I can disqualify you over, I would very much appreciate it if you did this in the future.

5. Also nothing to do with disqualification, but you should know the structural panels won't really provide much defense for those evelons since BDArmory weapons deal damage through heating rather than impact. Radiators and heat shields would, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Would this be acceptable, this chine to wing joint?

http://i.imgur.com/KLJxwlTl.png

I don't see anything wrong with this, but I don't see what you think would be wrong with this either.

Edited by CreativeCombat

noted...

do what you wish with me entry (change the planes fly em as is use two of the acceptable ones)

ill get it next time :)

and ill format my future posts accordingly as well, my apologies for my sloppy posts I'll work on it as best as I can

Edited by Mr_Hubris

noted...

do what you wish with me entry (change the planes fly em as is use two of the acceptable ones)

ill get it next time :)

and ill format my future posts accordingly as well, my apologies for my sloppy posts I'll work on it as best as I can

You can edit the planes to be in compliance and resubmit them, or create an entirely new pair of planes. A 'disqualification' is a disqualification of the plane, not the participant submitting the plane.

So I'm testing my planes and found out that the planes can't dodge missiles very well. They spammed flares and chaff and they also turned hard to dodge them. but the missiles still hit them. Is there a way to confuse missiles.( except spamming flares and chaff. I don't have that much points)

You could try sticking your countermeasures on long poles so that the missiles are drawn farther away from the plane, or use more flares since AIM-9 missiles track based on heat and if you have a lot of engines, the heat of the engines can be greater than that of the flares. Usually just changing the position of the countermeasures on the plane will do it, though. Maybe put them on the tips of your wings?

Edited by CreativeCombat

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.