[WIP][1.6.x_TEMPORARY FIX] NAS - Naval Artillery System 0.7.0 (BDAc Addon, WW2 Naval Weapons) - "Land of Dragon" - 2018/4/28

Acea

maybe its just me, but I searched for guy who succeed to build a battleship using your mod and I didn't found it yet, and I bet there isn't because ppl tried and nobody succede to make it float

I actually had the same problem. I eventually realized the problem was that I had no idea what I was doing with the Maritime pack, so I simply switched to mounting the guns on aircraft instead.

And also the boats. Those were made into bombs.

Have you guys tried making landships with them? just get the maritime pack, this, and Kerbal Foundries. make as long a hull as you like, put guns and ammo and stuffs on it, and then either put antigrav units, mole tracks, or large wheels on it, and BOOM! Instant landship of awesomeness like this one:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS86vwzItdZfGILqqXsSAYZymaiC46A0JUjOGOPGJ555Qe2mFNm

Have you guys tried making landships with them? just get the maritime pack, this, and Kerbal Foundries. make as long a hull as you like, put guns and ammo and stuffs on it, and then either put antigrav units, mole tracks, or large wheels on it, and BOOM! Instant landship of awesomeness like this one:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS86vwzItdZfGILqqXsSAYZymaiC46A0JUjOGOPGJ555Qe2mFNm

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/85209-1-0-4-BDArmory-v0-9-9-1-%28-AI-improvements-DLZ-2-new-parts%29-Dev-Thread-Aug-31/page590

Look on the bottom half of the page.

snip

I prefer 200-300 part regular sized tanks. Trust me, that armour is worth every frame. You can set a nuke off inside of them, and they don't die.

Well, not with this pack, as I'm out of RAM, but:

hFwrWsM.png

I think I'll separate my KSP into two installs, one for atmospheric crafts, ground vehicles and BDarmory, another one - for space, with NearFuture, and then build one. Big, bigger, the biggest. :P

Edited by sashan

I Haven't done much of having the landships actually be shot at. I mostly have them shoot at stuff and since I would probably be having planes attack them I kind of trust in their AA armament to protect them. Mine have tracks however. My latest and probably greatest is maybe 240 something parts and 80 tons. 2 superfiring abrams turrets in the front, one in the back, an oerlikon flak gun in a superfiring position above the two abrams turrets, two goalkeepers on platforms on each sides, 14 30mm chainguns,, and 11 dual fifty cal turrets. plus a nuclear reactor and 4 auxiliary liquid fuel generators for power and radiators for regenerating armor. top speed of 13.1 m/s but turns like a brick.

- - - Updated - - -

I saw. I've talked with that guy before... he uses the stock big wheels. I use kerbal foundry wheels.

Come on that's the weight of ONE gun. Only one barrel. Sounds crazy but that's the truth man, and I've cut weights of all guns to about a half already.

BTW according to my researches a 16"/50 caliber Mark 7 turret fitted with three guns should weigh around 1,701 to 1,708 tons, and a Yamato turret weighs 2,730.2 tons actually.

PS. The actual ship Admiral Hipper equipped with 20.3 cm SK C/34, which was a heavy cruiser, weighed 18,500 tons when fully loaded.

Hi Acea,

Just discussed this with one of the users of Maritime Pack and your mod. Here's the problem. You're thinking in reality but you're dealing with Squad physics. The mass of one of the hull parts in Maritime Pack is .1 tons. The reason is, KSP hydrodynamics do not work anything like real physics. Flotation is not based on displacing water. It's based on volume vs. mass. While it may be realistic to have a ship weigh 18,500 tons, my fully loaded submarine sinks with less than 100 tons. Another thing you may not be considering is the fact that there are 3 planets with water and players will want to go there with ships and guns. Getting 1,000 tons of cargo off the lauchpad takes a huge amount of thrust. For 18,500 tons... you'd have to beg time on NASA's supercomputer.

This may change with 1.0.5 as they are supposedly 'fixing' buoyancy but I'm not counting on it. If they do not, them I'm probably going to work on creating a real buoyancy plugin.

I had to make the choice myself: realism or play-ability. Now you know why I say my hulls are made out of Styrofoam.

Oh and GERULA just created this with our parts. He says 250 tons is boat, 750 tons is guns. You can find a video of it working here.

e3NuAns.png

Edited by Fengist

The reason is, KSP hydrodynamics do not work anything like real physics. Flotation is not based on displacing water. It's based on volume vs. mass. While it may be realistic to have a ship weigh 18,500 tons, my fully loaded submarine sinks with less than 100 tons. Another thing you may not be considering is the fact that there are 3 planets with water and players will want to go there with ships and guns. Getting 1,000 tons of cargo off the lauchpad takes a huge amount of thrust. For 18,500 tons... you'd have to beg time on NASA's supercomputer.

Yeah exactly I know. Kerbal buoyancy is something we both need to deal with.

What I want to tell GERULA is that since my 2,000-tons platform can float well with three heaviest battleship turrets on board, it's not impossible to make a ship floating on the surface and equipping NAS weapons normally. Problem is that size of platform and weapons should match, like in his own example.

As using naval guns in space or on other planets... :Pseriously I never considered that. They can float, they can fire, and that's okay to me.

Edited by Acea

What I want to tell GERULA is that since my 2,000-tons platform can float well with three heaviest battleship turrets on board, it's not impossible to make a ship floating on the surface and equipping NAS weapons normally. Problem is that size of platform and weapons should match, like in his own example.

As using naval guns in space or on other planets... :Pseriously I never considered that. They can float, they can fire, and that's okay to me.

Wait, so you're telling me you never considered space battleship yamato when you made this?

Wait, so you're telling me you never considered space battleship yamato when you made this?

All right that's always in my consideration. Really. Space Battleship Yamato is just too awesome to miss but at last we tried our best to make a realistic WWII turret.

yeah it float if i'm lucky enough and lose 1 or 2 cannons in water after launching, most of the time it float, driving through water is the problem now, a kerbal can swim faster then my ships:)

so I have to build an enormous ship with huge underwater engines to be able to carry your heaviest cannons, ammunition and fuel and not sunk at the first touch of the water and get some speed

in the end and for the last time, because I won't insist furthermore, maybe you will consider to cut again a bit more weight from your cannons, so this could make our life much easier to build warships using other mods who have ...where their pieces have a different weight, much lower.

Edited by GERULA

yeah it float if i'm lucky enough and lose 1 or 2 cannons in water after launching, most of the time it float, driving through water is the problem now, a kerbal can swim faster then my ships:)

so I have to build an enormous ship with huge underwater engines to be able to carry your heaviest cannons, ammunition and fuel and not sunk at the first touch of the water and get some speed

in the end and for the last time, because I won't insist furthermore, maybe you will consider to cut again a bit more weight from your cannons, so this could make our life much easier to build warships using other mods who have where their pieces have a different weight, much lower.

Yeah....I tried placing one (!) of the smallest turret I could find on a submarine......which had previously had difficulties submerging. It dropped like a constipated rock.

Also, bug report:

(I also posted in the vessel mover thread, no response yet)

I made a ship, and moved it to the water with [vessel mover]....when I tell it to drop, the TWS radar falls off......and clips through the ship to.....[about 50m below where it was.] I can still use it, but......

(BTW, it is the TWS radar from NAS, the big dish on top of the bridge)

L33RFWI.png

in the end and for the last time, because I won't insist furthermore, maybe you will consider to cut again a bit more weight from your cannons, so this could make our life much easier to build warships using other mods who have wheretheir pieces have a different weight, much lower.

In most situations we don't change ammo densities... but I think I should do something this time. Next update would be about this issue, and thx again.

In most situations we don't change ammo densities... but I think I should do something this time. Next update would be about this issue, and thx again.

thx and thx alot for your hard work, because I know it's a very hard work to do

maybe, i know this would take a lot of time, you could make some kerbalized Version (manly scaled down in size, mass and power) of every turret heavier than 100 tons?

you could still have the realistic ones in one pack and another pack with the kerbalized version.

by the way it would be easy since you doesnt have to do another model.

maybe, i know this would take a lot of time, you could make some kerbalized Version (manly scaled down in size, mass and power) of every turret heavier than 100 tons?

you could still have the realistic ones in one pack and another pack with the kerbalized version.

by the way it would be easy since you doesnt have to do another model.

Ther ARE kerbalized. Already. You can search for data about these weapons and learn that all NAS weapons weigh only about 50 percent of realistic ones.

I think they need to be MORE kerbalized. I built a battleship beg enough to be heaveier than these guns. And it still sank!

Nope. They're already in BDArmory sizes and I won't respond to requests about resizing existing weapons any more, unless necessary

Edited by Acea

I still demand lighter kerbalized guns, we can't do a thing. Make it 10%, we'll be proud to build bigger ships.

Yeah...just watch how well that 'demand' works for you. Word of advice; respect and decency goes a long way towards getting mod creators to listen to you

All I can say is yes, the turrets are heavy. Like, I can't make an Atlanta class....:(

Although making a ship, that works, with these guns is not impossible....you just have to keep the CoM low by using weights and keeping heavy turrets at the bottom.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to say one word to you. One word, and a picture: Landships. Think about that for me. will you think about it?

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS86vwzItdZfGILqqXsSAYZymaiC46A0JUjOGOPGJ555Qe2mFNm

So....I can't tell if this guy likes landships or not.....

:sticktongue:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.