"Plan Kappa" - A KSP graphic novel (Jeb is back in Chapter 53! Well, kinda.)

Parkaboy

I went back to re-read some of the early chapters and the bit where the monolith transports Jeb to Minmus (Vol 1, Ch 14 - Despite the Plan) got me thinking.  What if the monoliths in chapter 40 were not trying to stop the explosion but instead seeking out individual Kerbals and transporting them off-planet?

Apologies if this has already been mentioned & I just missed it in the thread.

15 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

I went back to re-read some of the early chapters and the bit where the monolith transports Jeb to Minmus (Vol 1, Ch 14 - Despite the Plan) got me thinking.  What if the monoliths in chapter 40 were not trying to stop the explosion but instead seeking out individual Kerbals and transporting them off-planet?

You're a genius!! Of course I ran out of likes just before seeing your post!

On 5/14/2016 at 11:04 PM, Foxbat said:

Correction: THE Monolith. Ther can be only 1. :P

1 hour ago, Starslinger999 said:

Correction: THE Monolith. Ther can be only 1. :P

Actually, I think what he means is that the monolith started reproducing and covering all of Kerbin, so there were multiple monoliths in chapter 40. But all of the monoliths are the same mind, Artie, so you're both correct.

On another subject, I've been struggling with updating PK to 1.1.2, and I think I solved the main issues this weekend. However, I'll have another busy week so don't expect an update earlier than next weekend. Hopefully by then I'll be able to resume a weekly schedule.

On 14 May 2016 at 4:04 AM, Foxbat said:

The only problem with that idea is, if the monolith can only transport kerbals between monoliths, none of the monoliths are outside of the Kerbin system, so none of the kerbals "saved" would escape the blast of gravioli particles.

4 hours ago, spacebrick3 said:

The only problem with that idea is, if the monolith can only transport kerbals between monoliths, none of the monoliths are outside of the Kerbin system, so none of the kerbals "saved" would escape the blast of gravioli particles.

Yes, that's definitely a problem.

On 5/17/2016 at 9:24 AM, spacebrick3 said:

On 5/17/2016 at 1:50 PM, Parkaboy said:

Yes, that's definitely a problem.

You're both forgetting about the monolith on... THE LONG LOST MAGIC BOULDER!

All joking aside, that may actually be a possibility. I mean, there is really nowhere for the kerbals to go once they get to an orbit around Ike, but it's a step.

Yes, I know. The magic boulder was accidentally removed back in... 0.19? However, maybe it's just invisible!

#StayDetermined

Don't poke the author please. He just said not to expect any updates before the weekend (which is not the same as committing to updates on the weekend either). I'm sure Parka will get to it when life permits him to.

Edited by FyunchClick
spelling

11 hours ago, FyunchClick said:

Don't poke the author please. He just said not to expect any updates before the weekend (which is not the same as committing to updates on the weekend either). I'm sure Parka will get to it when life permits him to.

Not tryin to. Sorry @Parkaboy, if it seemed like that, really, I need to rephrase what I was trying to do:
Oh boy! Since there are no updates for the next while, anybody have any discussion? Kinda don't want this thread to be forgotten...

*Determination. And Apologies.

17 minutes ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Oh boy! Since there are no updates for the next while, anybody have any discussion? Kinda don't want this thread to be forgotten...

It won't be, don't worry :) Just as soon as Parkaboy returns it goes right to the top of Mission Reports again, where it belongs.

Wrong side of the sun? Yeah, Moho's orbit is rather... eccentric. Fortunately, the major axis is rather close to ascending/descending nodes relative to Eve - so without need for midcourse plane change you can get that ultra-cheap transfer. Except that it may turn out rather costly to navigate to Gilly from such approach.

Is Bob going to turn out like Bill from Kerbfleet, messing with the persistence file to fix things that are "wrong"? Only time will tell...

Edit: Not that he shouldn't save Jeb, of course.

Edited by spacebrick3

21 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Whoopsie! So, wonder what's up with KAC? And did you happen to verify any of its results with the classic maneuver node dragging test? 

Not sure what happened. I trusted the transfer window calculator on KAC, and it totally failed me. Maybe there was something wrong with it at the time I set up that alarm, or maybe it's just the kind of thing that happens when your save is old and has survived many updates. Point is: from now on, I'll always check the transfer windows with mechjeb first.

2 minutes ago, spacebrick3 said:

Is Bob going to turn out like Bill from Kerbfleet, messing with the persistence file to fix things that are "wrong"? Only time will tell...

It may appear that Bob will be the Plan Kappa Persistomancer. Though I don't he had the direct ability too modify the file itself...

*Determination.

Edited by SpaceplaneAddict

6 minutes ago, Parkaboy said:

Not sure what happened. I trusted the transfer window calculator on KAC, and it totally failed me.

The numbers seem legit for me. If you try to get to Moho or from Moho near its apoapsis, 4+ km/s is quite possible (and it may be almost as much for other randomly chosen windows, if you add the midcourse plane change). Near its periapsis, however, this burn may end up under 2km/s even for transfer to/from Kerbin.

And the arrival time difference between these windows is about half the orbital period of Eve, isn't it?

34 minutes ago, Alchemist said:

The numbers seem legit for me. If you try to get to Moho or from Moho near its apoapsis, 4+ km/s is quite possible (and it may be almost as much for other randomly chosen windows, if you add the midcourse plane change). Near its periapsis, however, this burn may end up under 2km/s even for transfer to/from Kerbin.

And the arrival time difference between these windows is about half the orbital period of Eve, isn't it?

You're probably right, but I still plan to double check with MechJeb to make sure I'm not getting a less-than-ideal transfer...