"Plan Kappa" - A KSP graphic novel (Jeb is back in Chapter 53! Well, kinda.)

Parkaboy

Thanks for this update, really picked me up with this dose of intrigue (just finished a rather heartbreaking story).

Also, Linus eh? 5 letters, one a half-length, it fits what Bill saw.

However, what happened to him?

Edited by AkuAerospace
Restated remark at the outset

Linus?!?!?  Sneaking away from the catastrophe.  I always knew there was more to him than met the eye :)

9 hours ago, Parkaboy said:

- The gillyquake did in fact happened. Probably some KAS-related issue, causing the base to jiggle uncontrollably. Fortunately only the solar panels broke, and the phenomenon stopped after I left only one attachment point between the base and the ground.

If you've updated to 1.1.3, you might try separating the base into several chunks and take advantage of Pathfinder's new inter-ship resource transfer ability.  The fewer parts on a base, the less attractive it is to the Dance Kraken.

6 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Linus?!?!?  Sneaking away from the catastrophe.  I always knew there was more to him than met the eye :)

If you've updated to 1.1.3, you might try separating the base into several chunks and take advantage of Pathfinder's new inter-ship resource transfer ability.  The fewer parts on a base, the less attractive it is to the Dance Kraken.

I'm still on 1.1.2, but I think the problem only afflicts bases that are attached to the ground. I'm thinking of rebuilding Feather Base (for the 3rd time) without the attachment.

Hmm... If Linus is not one of the last 50 kerbals in the universe, then who is he? Is it because he is unknown to the others or he is... Dun dun DUNNNN

Spoiler

Artie! You're back! Now, just be careful to avoid covering another planet with copies of yourself!

P.S. Yes Kuzzter, I already know what "Dun dun DUNNNN" means. Looked it up on youtube.

Edited by TheDestroyer111

7 hours ago, Parkaboy said:

I'm still on 1.1.2, but I think the problem only afflicts bases that are attached to the ground. I'm thinking of rebuilding Feather Base (for the 3rd time) without the attachment.

I haven't tried attaching to the ground in 1.1.3.  Pathfinder these days still allows it but recommends against.  My current Munbase modules are just sitting on the ground, not connect to it or each other, and no bounces yet.

On 7/26/2016 at 9:39 PM, Geschosskopf said:

Kraken attacks has been a problem since Pathfinder's beginnings. Unfortunately, the game doesn't like large bases attached to the ground, but it took me a long time to figure that out. My bases in Duna Space Program were really stable until they weren't... The same thing can happen with large bases made from stock parts. Kerbal Joint Reinforcement helps, and I've been building solutions into Pathfinder to help as well including the resource distribution system that Geschosskopf mentioned. I'm thinking of experimenting with large slabs again as well, maybe when I get Pathfinder's Project Sandcastle (3D printing base modules) figured out.

9 hours ago, Parkaboy said:

For reasons of Pokémon Go being finally released in Brazil,

Strange, I always thought "Pokémon" was the Jamaican word for "proctologist", so what's it doing in Brazil? :)

9 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Kraken attacks has been a problem since Pathfinder's beginnings. Unfortunately, the game doesn't like large bases attached to the ground

The Kraken doesn't like bases no matter whose they are.  Whether the base is attached to the ground or not, if it's all 1 piece, eventually phantom forces due to parts clipping into uneven, non-level ground will build up and the base will go flying on physics load.  Or might just explode if you warp at it.  Separating bases into small units that can still exchange resources automatically as if they were physically connected (via imaginary cables and pipes buried underground), is the best Kraken defense I think.  Small units sitting loosely on the ground might slip and slight a bit but they won't go far.  But do not, ever, sit a base on lander legs, at least until Squad fixes those in general.

4 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

But do not, ever, sit a base on lander legs, at least until Squad fixes those in general.

Been there, done that. I have a refueler station on the surface of the courtesy of Hyperedit(much lazy, such wow), and an ISRU unit, and of course, lander legs :)

18 hours ago, Mjp1050 said:

Oh god. You too?

To be completely honest, while I have enjoyed the GameBoy and Nintendo DS/3DS Pokémon games, I find Pokémon go more interesting as a research subject than as an actual game. But there's also No Man's Sky coming out next week, and then I'll probably kiss my social life goodbye for a few weeks.

1 minute ago, Parkaboy said:

To be completely honest, while I have enjoyed the GameBoy and Nintendo DS/3DS Pokémon games, I find Pokémon go more interesting as a research subject than as an actual game. But there's also No Man's Sky coming out next week, and then I'll probably kiss my social life goodbye for a few weeks.

Good plan, it's not like there's anything else going on in Brazil this week.

4 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Good plan, it's not like there's anything else going on in Brazil this week.

Well, there's also the coup d'état and the olympic games, but all what people are really talking about is Pokémon Go.

1 hour ago, Parkaboy said:

Well, there's also the coup d'état and the olympic games, but all what people are really talking about is Pokémon Go.

I just finished adding a whole bunch of rare critters that spawn in the Olympic Shooting Centre. Women's 10M Air Rifle should be fun tomorrow morning!

On 5.8.2016 at 3:52 AM, Geschosskopf said:

The Kraken doesn't like bases no matter whose they are.  Whether the base is attached to the ground or not, if it's all 1 piece, eventually phantom forces due to parts clipping into uneven, non-level ground will build up and the base will go flying on physics load.  Or might just explode if you warp at it.  Separating bases into small units that can still exchange resources automatically as if they were physically connected (via imaginary cables and pipes buried underground), is the best Kraken defense I think.  Small units sitting loosely on the ground might slip and slight a bit but they won't go far.  But do not, ever, sit a base on lander legs, at least until Squad fixes those in general.

Or maybe use DMagic's EVA Resource Transfer? I haven't checked it out yet, but I guess for those who don't want the whole Pathfinder package it could be an option. 

2 hours ago, Flow said:

Or maybe use DMagic's EVA Resource Transfer? I haven't checked it out yet, but I guess for those who don't want the whole Pathfinder package it could be an option. 

That's certainly another way to exchange resources between separate, unattached things.  The key difference is that the DMagic system requires player intervention to move resources around one at a time between specific tanks, pretty much the same as stock transfers between tanks in the same ship.  Pathfinder's system, OTOH, is automatic, continuous, and handles any number of resources and transfers simultaneously.  Thus, the DMagic system would seem more applicable to small-scale stuff, like simple refueling stations.  But for a shipyard, which needs to move many different resources in large quantities, I'd rather use Pathfinder.