KSP Manual

Dave215

Yes, unfortunately there is no "manual." However, there is a lot of helpful stuff out on the internet, and there is a lot on the wiki.

This is usually one of the first pages that many people stumble onto: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Key_bindings

And there's a lot of info in there about the planets and other things. If you need help with ships, the Gameplay Questions forum is a good place. And Youtube is loaded with videos. Although be careful about watching aircraft videos that were created before version 1.0. The aero system was changed a lot in version 1.0.

Good luck, and let us know if you have questions. Welcome to the forum! :D

Cheers,

~Claw

While I have been there, and done that (I still learn more about the game often enough), I lol'd a bit at the thread title. One of the things that makes this game great is the lack of any instructions. It's so kerbal in that way. But as the others said, there's lots of great tutorials out there. But I would recommend playing at first without knowing anything, the learning curve is what makes this fun.

The game is still being worked on, is not in a finalized state, and therefore there is no manual.

It is released though, and nearly all of the core features have been added. 'The game is still being worked on' is no longer a good excuse for not having basic documentation.

It is released though, and nearly all of the core features have been added. 'The game is still being worked on' is no longer a good excuse for not having basic documentation.

Yep, KSP has been released without a manual. That's a fact we shouldn't have to discuss.

However, many games nowadys don't have manuals and there is at least some sort of tutorial, so I'd say having no manual is the least of the "released too early" problems KSP has and I can easily do without one.

I kind of understand not having a manual, for KSP it would be a huge document, a wiki is better suited to such a huge game.

Whatever the politics going on in Squad aside, it's a shame there currently is no access to the Wiki, that users can't keep it updated. That is after all the purpose of that Wiki. My 2-cents.

There is access to the wiki, I'm personally working on updating it! It is experiencing migration problems, but the devnotes said that the server would be fixed soon. Anyway, the migration problems only affect some image stuff, not content. Join the wiki! It's easy, and you don't have to add anything if you don't want to.

I kind of understand not having a manual, for KSP it would be a huge document, a wiki is better suited to such a huge game.

There is access to the wiki, I'm personally working on updating it! It is experiencing migration problems, but the devnotes said that the server would be fixed soon. Anyway, the migration problems only affect some image stuff, not content. Join the wiki! It's easy, and you don't have to add anything if you don't want to.

Yes, I read those devnotes. The gist I got from it was that someone left the team, and with him the access. I'd like to know more about this 'migration' problem. Migration from what to what?... where to where? If we're talking an image server, why not utilize Wiki's?

Anyway. I thought about creating an account. If nothing else, I thought perhaps I'd update the images for the parts; There's over 40 that are missing images. That can make it hard for some folks to look up and reference stuff. There's also been a lot of PSAs since v1 came out, stuff like power output of various solar options at various distances, power/efficiency curves for various engines, and how-to's of the functionality of new parts ..... it would be nice to see this added/updated in the Wiki.

In the beginning, I relied almost as heavily on the Wiki as I did information gleaned from these forums. I can't say that now, not with the state the current Wiki is in. It must be frustrating for new KSP'ers... I can relate. Not too long ago I put out a call (a suggestion) that volunteers update it - those with the knowledge and know-how, with correct data. It didn't get very far lol.

Game manuals are a thing of the past. Most games, esp online games see to think that learning how to play the game is the game. I don't agree with that, but oh well... I figure your in game char is an adult that grew up in that world and knows how to do most of the stuff And it should be easy to access info for the player. But even simple things you have to figure out.

I found this on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/2bfrbg/the_missing_manual/

-edit-

Never mind. Link's broken.

-edit 2-

Still had it on my Google Drive. Here you go:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8JouMGYES-hWTFUMEtWUWIyWmc/view?usp=sharing

Its a bit dated (0.24.2) but the main concepts are unchanged.

Edited by kreutzkevic

If you would care to write some, and keep it updated, radically altering, adding, or deleting major passages each time a new version of the game necessitates major changes, then be my guest.

If you would care to write some, and keep it updated, radically altering, adding, or deleting major passages each time a new version of the game necessitates major changes, then be my guest.

I am updating A Complete Beginner's Guide as Volume 1 of a series, also to incorporate Exploring The System.

Somewhat hampered because Squad have refused copyright permission to use screenshots from the game, although they do allow commercial use for videos. Updating manuals is a real effort, especially as Squad won't allow anyone writing one on the 'media' team - only people who make videos - so you can't get early access to releases. Bottom line is they REALLY don't want anyone to write a manual!

I'd heard similar vague mention of problems, but if you're saying it's all good now then I may try to update some of the planet articles, I'm pretty sure a number of them have outdated or incomplete information.

I'd heard similar vague mention of problems, but if you're saying it's all good now then I may try to update some of the planet articles, I'm pretty sure a number of them have outdated or incomplete information.

Here's the page on what is wrong with the wiki, but it's still possible to add and remove text stuff.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.