[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

Angelo Kerman

Huh..  Did not think of that.  I started by looking through the save files and then got a parser for it and removed the offending nodes.  Your way is easier!  These were completed contracts, but it turns out the F12 menu will let you delete contracts from the save.

If you've not seen KML - it's a pretty cool lil tool though
https://github.com/my-th-os/KML

Still working on the update to Pathfinder. I found a bug in Sandcastle that prevents the Sandcastle and Sand Works templates from working properly with Pathfinder, and I needed to recompile the plugins. Additionally, the Castillo Factory will have Sandcastle support built-in, and all parts that have a Resource Distributor will also have the Fuel Pump. You'll need to update Wild Blue Core as well as Sandcastle in addition to Pathfinder, but I'll repeat that when the Pathfinder update is done.

Coolio.  The resource distribution update will be neat to test out.  Does the Sandcastle support have a dependency on EL?  I would imagine so.  I'm sort of stuck with SimpleConstruction.  I've tried pulling it out - but the game hates that.
Minor housekeeping items in Pathfinder.  wbiCastilloObservatory and wbiCastilloFactory both need CrewCapacity and inflatedCrewCapacity fixed to match one another.

Once I added CrewCapacity to be > 0  to wbiStorageDepot then I could add crew in and get them out.  Even if there is no IVA, having crewCapacity of at least 1 in the Depot would be kind of more realistic.  Need someone there to move stuff around.

I'm getting a bit of an accelerated MM lesson here.  Fun!

56 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Coolio.  The resource distribution update will be neat to test out.  Does the Sandcastle support have a dependency on EL?  I would imagine so.  I'm sort of stuck with SimpleConstruction.  I've tried pulling it out - but the game hates that.
Minor housekeeping items in Pathfinder.  wbiCastilloObservatory and wbiCastilloFactory both need CrewCapacity and inflatedCrewCapacity fixed to match one another.

Once I added CrewCapacity to be > 0  to wbiStorageDepot then I could add crew in and get them out.  Even if there is no IVA, having crewCapacity of at least 1 in the Depot would be kind of more realistic.  Need someone there to move stuff around.

I'm getting a bit of an accelerated MM lesson here.  Fun!

EL is optional in Sandcastle but it doesn’t support Simple Construction’s way of doing things.

55 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

If I had 2 wishes for Pathfinder, it would be to be able to switch crew between seats in the Castillo and the Factory.
And for flamingos in the buildings.

By chance would Ship Manifest be of service, or do you already use that and find something lacking?

6 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

By chance would Ship Manifest be of service, or do you already use that and find something lacking?

Ship Manifest?  Do tell please.
And I sure do need a K.R.A.P. flag/emblem - but my skills of artistry are weak and puny.  Would that some fine someone provide such.  They would be afforded the title of K.R.A.P. Secretary of State

13 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

If I had 2 wishes for Pathfinder, it would be to be able to switch crew between seats in the Castillo and the Factory.
And for flamingos in the buildings.

Except for the Flamingos, Buffalo 2 has a seat switcher. I'll add it to the next update.

Q2SpQXx.png

kwrHb1m.png

HsXUQRQ.png

At least the game doesn't crash when you deploy multiple survey cones now...

The caveat currently is that you have to manually rename the stakes in order to get all of them in sync in order to have vessels built at the center of the group of cones. I'm working on that...

Technically this is a Sandcastle fix.

Happy Chinese New Year!

Pathfinder 1.40.0 is now available:

Changes

- All parts that have Resource Distribution will now also have a Fuel Pump if Wild Blue Core is installed. (NOTE: Wild Blue Core comes with Sandcastle).
- All Castillo parts now have a built-in probe core.
- Added Sandcastle support to the Castillo Factory.
- Added Ability to assign seats and change outfits to all crewed modules when Buffalo 2 is installed.
- Fixed issue where the Castillo Depot had crew capacity; it's not supposed to hold crew.
- Fixed issue where the Sandcastle and Sand Works templates wouldn't show any parts in their 3D print shops. NOTE: You'll need to update to the latest Sandcastle.

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Happy Chinese New Year!

Pathfinder 1.40.0 is now available:

Changes

- All parts that have Resource Distribution will now also have a Fuel Pump if Wild Blue Core is installed. (NOTE: Wild Blue Core comes with Sandcastle).
- All Castillo parts now have a built-in probe core.
- Added Sandcastle support to the Castillo Factory.
- Added Ability to assign seats and change outfits to all crewed modules when Buffalo 2 is installed.
- Fixed issue where the Castillo Depot had crew capacity; it's not supposed to hold crew.
- Fixed issue where the Sandcastle and Sand Works templates wouldn't show any parts in their 3D print shops. NOTE: You'll need to update to the latest Sandcastle.

Dang man!  You just get on it, don't ya?
But.. no flamingos?  <walks away in disgust>

<walks back with hangdog look..> Sorryyyy...

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

31 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

@Angel-125 I'm testing out the new Pathfinder and WildBlueCore and not seeing any changes.  Version checks on the new releases show 1.39.1 and 1.2.2 respectively for Pathfinder and Core.  It looks like you packaged it up against the wrong tag.

Ok, I've verified that:

This is the correct release for Pathfinder. You can also find it in CKAN.

This is the correct link for Wild Blue Core (Which comes with Sandcastle and is in CKAN).

This is the correct link for Sandcastle. (which is also on CKAN).

Hey, I'm really sorry to ask but struggling to figure it out.

I'm using the latest version with the Snacks mod.

For the life of me I can't get the Hacienda or the Chuckwagon to generate snacks.

I've set both of them to the Greenhouse option in Manage Operations and they have Power & kerbals inside them but after time warping a good while neither seem to be generating anything.

Really appreciate any help, I'm sure it'll be something obvious I'm just completely missing :D

I assume you also have WildBlueTools installed and that in the greenhouse, you have clicked the "Start Greenhouse" button to start production.  Looking at the cfg, it appears that using the Greenhouse option, then you need to provide water, compost and EC.  You won't see anything for 180 hours

If you're using the snack grinder, then it needs ore and EC

27 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

I assume you also have WildBlueTools installed and that in the greenhouse, you have clicked the "Start Greenhouse" button to start production.  Looking at the cfg, it appears that using the Greenhouse option, then you need to provide water, compost and EC.  You won't see anything for 180 hours

If you're using the snack grinder, then it needs ore and EC

Ah I dont have the Start Greenhouse option.

I installed via CKAN but I'll reinstall manually and see if that sorts it :)

Thanks!

Another option is to reconfigure an omniconverter to a snack grinder.  Then all you need is Ore and EC.  Your Hacienda <should> be able to do that as well as do the Industrial Greenhouse.  It appears Chuckwagon can store snacks, and produce them via the Prarie Greenhouse.  Don't forget storage for the Snacks though.

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

Assuming EL, Pathfinder and Sandcastle, sufficient rocket parts and EC, what are the minimum parts needed to be able to make parts?   With a Ponderosa, Hacienda, Doc Sci, and Chuckwagon, would I be able to get making?

I'm able to take out Simple Construction now and replace with EL, but it's feeling a little like chicken and egg going on.

32 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Assuming EL, Pathfinder and Sandcastle, sufficient rocket parts and EC, what are the minimum parts needed to be able to make parts?   With a Ponderosa, Hacienda, Doc Sci, and Chuckwagon, would I be able to get making?

I'm able to take out Simple Construction now and replace with EL, but it's feeling a little like chicken and egg going on.

With Pathfinder, you'll need the Hacienda set up as an omniworks or a Micro ISRU that can convert MetalOre into Metal. I'd also suggest setting up an omniconverter to convert ScrapMetal into Metal. Then you need another converter set up to make RocketParts from Metal. To make vessels, you need to either use the Rangeland pad or use the Spyglass observer module and several stakes from EL.

Pathfinder modifies drills so that they'll all harvest whatever resources the local biome has, so you don't need a special drill to dig up MetalOre.

With Sandcastle, you need the Sandcaster 3D Printer as well as the CD-10 Cone Dispenser to dispense cones. The Sandcaster can make rocket parts on its own, but can't convert MetalOre or ScrapMetal into Metal. For that you'll need the Smelter. The Sandcaster can build vessels as well as tear them apart.

For orbital construction yards, you need the Konstruction Manipulator. It is equivalent to EL's Orbital Dock.

In my play game, I just built this prototype:

dHsbcrg.jpg

If I made it larger and added drills and a smelter, then it could become a von Neumann probe... But this rig is designed to build "Seed" bases- small automated bases that drill and refine Metal Ore, or remelt Scrap Metal into Metal, or make Rocket Parts, all using Wild Blue Core's Fuel Pump parts to distribute the resources. Once it builds the first Seed bases, then it will move onto larger projects. :)

Ok.  I've sorted out the way to get the necessary resources.  So assuming the resource chain is no problem, then the Rangeland pad becomes the minimum thing you need to make craft without cones, stakes, etc.  I want to transition over to using EL, but there are missions (GU) that need the minimum necessary to make things before I can shift from SimpleConstruction to EL without screwing myself over.

After I get the existing stuff sorted, it looks like new colonies then need a minimum of a ponderosa, 2 x hacienda, 1 chuckwagon, 1 doc sci and a Rangeland - with the Ponderosa being sort of optional.  I'm looking toward stuff that is either box parts or can fit into a packing container.

I've integrated KIS into my game now and just don't know how I got along without it so long.

12 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

After I get the existing stuff sorted, it looks like new colonies then need a minimum of a ponderosa, 2 x hacienda, 1 chuckwagon, 1 doc sci and a Rangeland - with the Ponderosa being sort of optional.  I'm looking toward stuff that is either box parts or can fit into a packing container.

Advice and experience from a guy who, once upon a time, put a Pathfinder base on every rocky body in the Kerbol system...

Start your base seed with a Pondarosa, a Casa (set one of these up as a Geology Lab and the other as whatever else you think you might need - I usually set my Pondy up as a Clockworks in the fading hope that OSE will start playing nice with Pathfinder once more), two Haciendas (one set as a Claim Jumper and the other as an Ironworks), a Micro ISRU, two chuckwagons and a Rangeland. You can add a third Hacienda and Chuckwagon if you want - set this one up as another Claim Jumper.  Finally,  add two Mineshafts and six SAFER reactors (better too much power than not enough). Shove all of this stuff into a Wagon set up for storage, and add to the paywad a second Wagon full of Enough quipment so it can get the initial bits inflated on site. I usually put all of this onto a manned rover, which I then attach to a skycrane assembly. The rover setup helps whenever you inevitably botch the landing and wind up having to drive all the rest of the way to the intended base site (on Tylo, that was seven hundred klicks. Good thing that moon is set up for easy driving...).

Ideally, you'll set things up such that you can begin the production/storage of Equipment and Rocket Parts on site, so that the Rangeland can be used to manufacture new bits to add to your base. A trick I like to use is to load stuff I want into a pressurized container in the VAB (these may be CRP parts), so that when building is complete I can just open up the container on the Rangeland before I release it and transfer the parts over to wherever my base can hold them. I can then release the contaner and immediately recycle it, readying the Rangeland for the next use. I would recommend the inclusion of a spare Rangeland or two in your early prints, to cover your butt in case something causes the thing to explode.

Don't neglect the Micro ISRU! It's not the best tool in your arsenal, but it can definitely help you cover shortfalls and it can be reconfigured without an Equipment cost.

Thoroughly survey the body on which you want to put your base before you send anything else out there - an orbital narrow-band scanner on a probe in polar orbit will do the trick, and while you're at it you want to go ahead and get your comm sattelite constellation up first so you can always remain in contact with your survey probe. The general concentration/presence of materials in one part of a biome holds true for the entire biome. Key materials are Precious Metals/Rare Metals, Minerals/Minerite, Explodium/Blutonium/Uraninite (for nuclear power production, which you will want eventually), Metal Ore/Metallic Ore, Ore, and then other things like Rock/Gemstones/Hex depending on what all you want to build on site. If you find a biome that has most of the materials you want, send down a rover with a surface scanner to a site within that biome and verify the readings. Sliding can be minimized with a site that has a shallow grade, 5 degrees tops (if you want to use Kerbal Konstructs to flatten out a site first, that's fine - but be prepared for the game to toss the rover to its doom in the process: quicksave before you mash go). Only whenever you've got a good site do you send out kerbals to build a base. Nothing's worse than sending them out there and finding out the site is unsuitable...

Equatorial bases with equatorial space stations greatly simplify surface visits. Just saying.

If I think of anything else, I'll say something...

Edited by capi3101

Good information.  Thanks!

I'm currently mapping Leyn in the Blalo system in preps to setting a base.  Since I'm not using FFT or any of the future tech, that simplifies my resource needs.
I'm using most of the WildBlue mods and the gravatic drive simplifies the finding of a good spot.  Just cruise about with the ground scanner on till you find an excellent spot.