[1.12.x] 'Project Orion' Nuclear Pulse Engine

RoverDude

Just FYI, I finally got the thing to work. I flew a mission to Dres and it worked pretty well. I had to use special tricks to get it to work with MechJeb but I pulled it off more or less. Even the lowest bombs pack a propulsive wallop.

The drive works with mechjeb but it has two problems, first mechjeb believe its trust is very low so it will start burning at once, you have to initiate the burn yourself, KAC is nice here.

Second it the end of the burn, mechjeb default accuracy is 0.1 m/s one charge give you 10-20 m/s dV, solution here is to set accuracy to 30 m/s or something.

This is mostly relevant for very long burn in the 60 km/s class, My standard is to use smartass point at node burn manual then switch to chemical engine and let mechjeb finish the node.

Mechjeb advanced transfer to other planets and intercept target at time is very nice for Orion operations.

Awesome man.

It is not an accuracy vessel, you need to have chemical engines to adjust the orbit you want, and you also need lots of Vernor Engine to rotate yourself, but I think this is normal and necesary if you want to fly the vessel in a good way, isnt it?

I wonder if you can add something to pass the nukes bombs from one vessel to another vessel, that could be interesting.

And in my opinion I think that Medusa and Orion are overpowered, and the 1000 and the 2500 nuke bomb are useless.

Keep working on it and many thanks!

Of course it's OP ;) So was the real world Orion.

And there are uses for the larger bombs if you have ships that weigh tens of kilotons (which is very doable).

Hmmm.... Kilotons you say.... Doable you say....

I might just construct a enriched uranium transport craft with that. I wonder, what enrichment is the uranium in your mod meant to be Roverdude? Actually calculating how many centuries my uranium transporter would provide enough fuel to supply the world with nuclear energy would be fun.

Why is this ship blowing up then I return to it and it loads in orbit?

4kBGt7p.png

Medusa, the 5 meter reaction wheel from space transport technology, half full magazine, an rocket fuel tank, MK3 crew cabin small cargo hold.

Various bracing.

for this test version number 34 I have just some 2.5 meter batteries, a 2.5 meter probe and a docking port in front.

15ATHdc.png

On return to ship after jumping to another wreck and back. all stuff connected to the monoprop tank explodes off and leaves at 300 m/s.

Any ideas, I don't have joint reinforcement, the 0.02 orions worked well without. No large unusual mods. TTF and orion from the USI catalog.

On install I removed the 000_USITools and the old orion folder under UmbraSpaceIndustries and added all the new files in archive.

Are you part clipping? Did you try a simpler ship? Sorry, insufficient info here

Hi and thanks for the answer, done some more testing on an clean KSP install just the orion mod, hyperedit

Downloaded the last version of modulmanager and firespitter.

later added the 5 meter reaction wheel from your FTT mod

Simple ships survive here, however they experience extreme g forces then you switch to them and they load, g meter peaks out and uses seconds to get back to 0, even weirder this is not an shock like you get crossing an SOI border this is real acceleration I was able to get from 120 km orbit to kerbin escape speed

and back to Ap inside Mun orbit by switching forward and back, changes was around 200 m/s on each switch to.

Used with this ship. UqwOuPpl.png No it was not bombs going off, counter was standing on 9999 bombs :)

Tested more with even simpler ships, medusa magazine with minimum bombs, some 2.5 meter reaction wheels a 2.5 meter probe and a small reactor.

Effect is even more impressive as the mass was lower.

You need to activate engine, deploy sails, have bombs and have selected correct type for this effect, a light ship can get 600 m/s changes on one switch.

This is the minimal design BG9b76Gl.png

has not tested any of my original ships as they require other mods to load but its reasonable that they will break up as they are less sturdy. This is an pure 0.101 effect non so effect in 0.02.

And yes the minimal design also broke up trying to get solar escape speed :)

Edited by magnemoe

Ok, rule of thumb is to never save these with the engine running. That one is a known issue.

Engine was not running, no saves i was simply jumping to an probe and back or going by the tracking station.

i got the effect also then engine was disabled as long as it previous was enabled. This was an an error source as i usually finish nodes on chemical engines for accuracy.

Last test with the simple design never used any of the nukes.

This is new behavior in 0.101 and should be easy to replicate.

No, use the Firespitter module that comes with it - since it sounds more like this is just an install issue.

(Usual deal, make sure you have the latest from KS, omit nothing, do not install this via CKAN because they are being a bit stupid with my mods again lately, show us a shot of your GameData folder).

OK, took the basic Orion for a blast.

With KJR at 250 kt I got a nice ascent at 100% thrust, although the lack of attitude control thrust did lead to wobbling. MJ got confused as always, but I guess I can do the burns manually with such absurd velocities (1 year transfer to Pluron, vs 40 year Hohmann trajectory).

While the engines themselves are perfectly functional, I believe some "infrastructure" is lacking - reloading packs, surface and bottom attachment for conventional launch (Ven's 2.5 m SRBs should work nice), aerodynamic adapters for 3.75-to-whatever-size-Orion-will-be, appropriately large fairings, and probably the super-verniers of some kind.

Please take a peak at the Convair Nexus mod, they have the required huge stuff.

EDIT: Just tested my makeshift super-RCS system - Throttle Controlled Avionics and quad Aerospikes, plus a bunch of boosters with some hidden frames. The upgraded ship steered like a warship. This mod is really missing content that can make it more awesome.

http://1drv.ms/1WekRze

http://1drv.ms/1WekSD

Edited by DDE

I'm having the same issues with the engines not working. I just plopped both files into game data and i'm not running any other mods of note. I think the problem is related to the nuclear charge resources or something because when i click on the engines there is no resource for that and when i click on the spare mag it does nothing. Still great job on the ship designs.

Roverdude:

Love your mods. There's always at least one in any of my installs.

This mod is exceptionally awesome.

However, the above posts are correct. If you plug just this mod and no other into a brand new, stock ksp install, the menus for changing between bomb types do not show. I tried this several times, not wanting to mod my main game with an alpha release.

However, after failing with a stock install, I placed the same download into my main, highly modded, Interstellar Extended game and, after being certain USItools was updated, it worked right away!

I conclude that there's something this mod needs that is not included in the zip file.

Again: glorious mod! Love it so far!

I have suggestions but they'll have to wait.

Edit: Sorry I got your name wrong. I first posted this from a phone: auto-correct caught me unawares.

Glad to hear the fix was as simple as including Firespitter.

Edited by zDarby

Chimera said:
http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k592/wl_Fenrir/Game%20data.png

This my game data folder. Redownloaded and installed from Kerbal stuff about ten times.

Ok, that was now helpful. Looks like Firespitter was not bundled.

- - - Updated - - -

0.1.0.2 IS UP

0.1.0.2 - 2015.10.27

--------------------

Bundled Firespitter (needed for tank switching)

Edited by Snark
Link to defunct website removed by moderator