[1.12.x] 'Project Orion' Nuclear Pulse Engine

RoverDude

Fresh install of the new 1.0.2 worked for me. IE: new, vanilla, unmodded ksp v1.0.4, moded only with what was in the NucEng 1.02 zip file... Worked right off the bat.

I then modded this install with all sorts of things and the system appeared stable. Not at my comp or I'd post Gamedata pic.

I built a spaceplane using Mark IV parts and an Orion engine..... WHOA!! Got to Jool in no time and was able to fly around in the Jool atmosphere. Pulse magazines of 250kt are best for this endeavour. You'll accelerate more slowly and have more control but still be able to go anywhere in the solar system.

Tried to take screen caps but something went wrong and no dice.

Haven't done the measurements yet, but it seems Medusa has the same engine performance as Orion. IE, same total mass with the same bomb load gets you to the same ultimate speed. Do you have any plans to make this comparison closer to real world? (Not a criticism.)

It would be cool if there were different generations of nuclear pulses that correspond with the different generations of real world nuclear weapons. IE: second gen bombs w/tritium triggers would go into first gen Orions, with limited yield choices (250kt & 500kt only) and very high fallout to match, giving you a high prestige hit per launch. Compared to theoretical fourth gen bombs (that have no fissile material) would be used by third gen Orions, covering all yield ranges (from 10kt to 2500kt) and producing no fallout, and thus no prestige hit.

Not sure how much of a pain that would be to implement. But it could be cool.

Sorry, since I've grabbed a hold of you here, I'll submit all of my proposals for popular discussion (although missing features being considered an issue is good indeed).

Unless the pusher plate can be made to retract on thruster shutdown, and hence be compact enough for the whole thing to fit into a shroud, a bottom node is of little use. However, I think I would be prudent to create the facilities for the upside-down launch of Medusa, with an engine shroud doubling as the adapter back to 3.75 m.

The 5 m size appears to be reasonable for the copy of the 10 m Orion given the apparent 1/2 scale of Kerbals and most of their technology. The Convair Nexus guys similarly scaled down their monster.

And yes, I'm mentioning the Nexus mod because that thing has clusters of 6 J-2s as hybrid thruster/RCS blocks. Is it possible to add a more impressive exhaust to LF+O RCS?

The surface attachment has been mulled to death. Engines with surface attachment capability have been produced - for example, Ven's Mainsail rework.

An important point I wanted to make is that FTT's spindly frameworks are ill-suited for torchships that achieve high Gs and are in many cases launched through atmospheres. An Orion's structure would have to be much more solid and aerodynamic; luckily, mass is a non-issue. Furthermore, I have serious doubts about the durability of a 5-4x2.5-5 sandwich if it's held together by one of the offset modules. What I'm proposing is a set of two structural parts - the keel and the new solid quadcoupler. The keel is a heavy structural girder housing the crew tunnel and utility plumbing; it's sole role is to keep the coupler layers in place. The couplers are also thick enough for crew transfer crawlspaces, and allow for various common 2.5 m payloads (such as a craft built around the Mk 2 Lander Can) to be mounted on them. It's important to note that FTT's coupler keeps the sub-stacks spread wide apart, and is probably more than 7.5 m at the widest point. The Orion coupler should keep the substacks as close together as possible, minimizing the profile.

The two other parts are kinda obvious, and in their basic forms are correctly resized stock parts - a 5-to-3.5 adapter (although it would be a shame if it won't house fuel) and a 5 m base for a six-piece fairing, which would cover everything from the pulse unit magazines up. I would also like to take this opportunity to shamelessly promote the RCSCapsuledyne 3.75 m command pod and lab pack - they look rather fitting on top of an Orion stack.

Edited by DDE

• 2 weeks later...

YAY! Imma have to get that and/or reinstall the copy of that I already have...If I get a chance to get ti working, I'mma play around with it. This would be great for a plane! or a nice, slow, gentle rover, full of delicate parts. like solar panels. that are deployed.

- - - Updated - - -

When I make stuff with this I'm going to have to have tons of RCS and/or vernier engines from the Behemoth Aerospace Engineering mod. Or tons of reaction wheels. probably a bit of both. then it can just be, say, some 16 inchers or something else. maybe a space-borne city if I ever get civilian population.

This exception still happens in 0.1.1.0 :

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at USITools.USI_PulseDrive.OnAwake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartModule.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.GameObject:Internal_AddComponentWithType(Type)
UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
Part:AddModule(String)
Part:AddModule(ConfigNode)
PartLoader:ParsePart(UrlConfig, ConfigNode)
:MoveNext()

It's visible with exception detector and it happens RIGHT at the end of the startup sequence, just before it goes to the menu screen.

sorry for ignorance but can some one please explain to me on how this engines work,i started ksp and im confused.

so i get the engine,put oil in it,than i get a tank with npu stuff and some energy source,reactor maybe and im ready to go?

[quote name='Proteus']sorry for ignorance but can some one please explain to me on how this engines work,i started ksp and im confused.
so i get the engine,put oil in it,than i get a tank with npu stuff and some energy source,reactor maybe and im ready to go?[/QUOTE]
No need for an energy source - you're using [I]bombs[/I], not reactors. You need the standard pusher plate assembly (Medusa won't extend in an atmosphere) and one or multiple magazines of NPU shaped nuclear charges atop it. Once you activate the engine, the throttle will control the frequency with which the nuclear bombs are ejected and detonated behind the ship. Edited by DDE

Sorry if this has been suggested upthread and I missed it.

I would find it very useful to have a right-click item, bindable to an action group, that would detonate one bomb (if the engine had cycled after the last detonation so was ready to fire), rather than fiddling with the throttle. Is that feasible, please?

[quote name='Generalstarwars333']Hey, I'm having a problem where the magazines don't work. I can't change the ammo, or even right click on them. I have the latest version of Interstellar Fuel Switch...

[COLOR="silver"][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR]

The reactors work fine though.[/QUOTE]

This mod is designed to work with Firespitter not IFS

[quote name='Mortico']Though this mod says it is compatible with KSP 1.0.5, the reactors don't seem to work.

They show as offline and there's no way to online them.[/QUOTE]

Usual deal, show me your gamedata folder, etc. as this will end up being an install issue

[QUOTE]Usual deal, show me your gamedata folder, etc. as this will end up being an install issue[/QUOTE]

GameData\CommunityResourcePack
GameData\CommunityTechTree
GameData\ConnectedLivingSpace
GameData\DMagicOrbitalScience
GameData\Firespitter
GameData\FuelTanksPlus
GameData\IntakeBuildAid
GameData\InterstellarFuelSwitch
GameData\KerbalEngineer
GameData\KSP-AVC
GameData\LETech
GameData\ModRocketSys
GameData\NearFutureConstruction
GameData\NearFutureElectrical
GameData\NearFutureProps
GameData\NearFuturePropulsion
GameData\NearFutureSolar
GameData\NEBULA
GameData\RemoteTech
GameData\REPOSoftTech
GameData\ShipManifest
GameData\SmartStage
GameData\SpaceY-Lifters
GameData\Squad
GameData\StationPartsExpansion
GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries
GameData\cls_settings.dat
GameData\ModuleManager.2.6.13.dll
GameData\ModuleManager.ConfigCache
GameData\ModuleManager.ConfigSHA
GameData\ModuleManager.Physics
GameData\ModuleManager.TechTree
GameData\toolbar-settings.dat
GameData\000_FilterExtensions
GameData\000_FilterExtensions Configs
GameData\000_USITools
GameData\BetterTimeWarp
GameData\Chatterer
GameData\ColorCodedCans

[quote name='Mortico']Though this mod says it is compatible with KSP 1.0.5, the reactors don't seem to work.

They show as offline and there's no way to online them.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Mortico']GameData\NearFutureElectrical[/QUOTE]
NearFutureElectrical has not yet been updated to 1.0.5. There is a hacked DLL to enable the reactor itself:
[url]https://github.com/billkerbinsky/NearFutureElectrical/releases/tag/stopgap-1.0.5-1[/url]

Note that core heating is not yet ported to the new thermo system and does not work at all.
Maybe USI Reactors work without NearFutureElectrical as well, but I haven't tried.

[quote name='RoverDude']Bingo. Known issue with NFE.

And USI Core reactors work fine with the 1.0.5 stock mechanics :)[/QUOTE]

That explains it. Though I like the idea of fiddling with Orion, the main reason I installed this mod was to use the reactors as NFE isn't updated yet.

Despite the magazine not working I still love this solely because of the reactors. I have two 1.25 m reactors powering my Amagi class Spacebattlecruiser. (I chose Amagi because the destroyermen series)

[COLOR="silver"][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR]

The 0.625 should be a great power source for a drone...

[QUOTE name='damerell']I would find it very useful to have a right-click item, bindable to an action group, that would detonate one bomb (if the engine had cycled after the last detonation so was ready to fire), rather than fiddling with the throttle. Is that feasible, please?

I sent a pull request with a similar effect (the right-click action can be triggered at any time, resulting in a pulse being fired after the minimum interval, whether that's "right now" or not). I had a bit of a look into the problem where activating the engine seems to fire one pulse, but to no avail.

Edited by damerell
fixing own quote?

Does anyone know what the specific impulse and thrust values are for the Orion and Medusa? I realize that they are incredibly high, but I was just wondering if someone has some actual numbers for these values. The reason I’m asking is because when I fly the Orion, the thrust indicator for the engine reads, “0.1 KN”, and I know that can’t be correct. The specific impulse indicator reads “15,000”, which could be correct I guess, but it just seems a little high for a 5 meter Orion. If anyone here knows what the actual thrust and Isp values are for the Orion and Medusa, I would greatly appreciate it.