[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

3 minutes ago, Jso said:

Umm, that works?

Yes. On my end, it worked flawlessly.

4 minutes ago, Jso said:

The config I gave you in the other thread will single handedly remove the smoke from all liquid engines without modification. I thought that's what you wanted.

I was not sure if it would affect ALL engines, so I pasted it in other engines' RP CFGs anyway.

3 minutes ago, fs10inator said:

I was not sure if it would affect ALL engines, so I pasted it in other engines' RP CFGs anyway.

If you do that it will get overwritten next time you update bdb. Just make a new file in gamedata called RealPlume_NoSmoke.cfg and stick it in there.

7 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

I meant cutting out the smoke effects from the RP configs of the engines like FS10 displayed. 

You want to slash the smoke from all the BDB liquid engines by default? I do agree that some of them are way too smokey, I think it's the Kerolox ones. We could probably tone it down to more of a light contrail effect. I suspect there would be complaints if you take it out completely. Or maybe not, dunno.

8 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

What's to lose? It'll run better and look more realistic! I wonder if there's a way to have it produce smoke for only like 30 seconds in the upper atmosphere like real life. That'd be sick. 

Might be possible. Take a look inside one of the cfgs in RealPlume/000_Generic_Plumes. There's a lot of variables to play with. I would assume density is atmospheric density.

Changing the subject...

JlljJgl.png

My artistic skills are somewhat limited. I'm trying to make some procedural parts that will blend with BDB parts. Any chance I could get some square png files, a light, medium, and dark done in the BDB style? Something fairly even that can be tiled and won't distort too badly wrapped around a cone. Potentially they could be used on procedural fairings as well.

32 minutes ago, Jso said:

Changing the subject...

JlljJgl.png

My artistic skills are somewhat limited. I'm trying to make some procedural parts that will blend with BDB parts. Any chance I could get some square png files, a light, medium, and dark done in the BDB style? Something fairly even that can be tiled and won't distort too badly wrapped around a cone. Potentially they could be used on procedural fairings as well.

AWESOMENESS!!!!! I always wanted Procedural parts for BDB.

3 hours ago, Jso said:

Might be possible. Take a look inside one of the cfgs in RealPlume/000_Generic_Plumes. There's a lot of variables to play with. I would assume density is atmospheric density.

Changing the subject...

JlljJgl.png

Yeah I've been meaning to. I can look into it.

Small update for you guys - Me and @VenomousRequiem talked and are considering pushing a small update out. The only new content would be the Castors, but it would collect some general bug fixes and miscellaneous config edits (Like the fixed Titan engines) that have happened on my end the last three weeks. If people are desperate I could try and get that out in the next couple days. Otherwise, I'll push forward with trying to get Juno done (Tanks are basically textured, just need to do the adapters, the couple baby probes and the solid upper stages). Either way it's going to be 0.09b.

Also is there any great need to host this on Spacedock? I'd prefer to use Github from now on, even though I'm still learning it.

Edited by CobaltWolf

6 hours ago, NotAgain said:

Will this include RT configs for the HLR-HEKS "Rorat" Probe Core? It seems not to work with RT.

And what will the modifications to the Titan engines be? Moar thrust? Less?

I've logged the issue. It will be fixed.

The Titan first stage engines now have bottom attach nodes and toggleable shrouds on top and bottom.

1 minute ago, legoclone09 said:

@CobaltWolf Yes, I'd like to see it on SpaceDock, and maybe put it on CKAN? If you want it on CKAN I'll make the netKAN file for it.

CKAN can host from GitHub just as easily.

Juno parts need a second art pass, but the rocket itself is in game. Thanks to @Jso for making the part balance spreadsheets that let me quickly figure out how much fuel belongs in the engines. Now to do the SRBs and baby probes and it's done. Then I guess Diamant and I'll call this update done.

Juno is fairly interesting, and is a massive illustration of how easily history could have been different. Juno IV was set to be NASA's light/medium lift launcher, filling a role that would eventually be taken by variants of Thor, while Atlas would have been the true medium launcher, augmented with the interim Vega and Juno IVA upper stages until Centaur was done. However, Juno and it's proponents were eventually muscled out by Thor, not necessarily due to Thor being a better design, but due to politics - one of the prime decision makers at NASA at the time was a former McDonnell (company behind Thor) member, and Thor was already the military's top pick for launching their own satellites, using the Agena stage (called Hustler at the time). The increased familiarity with Thor meant that it was easier to work with, and Juno's launches were plagued with problems due to the unfamiliar hardware. NASA eventually settled on Thor, and Juno II faded into obscurity after only 4 successful launches.

Also in the album is a Carrack-ish launcher (I realize there's an extra Castor 30 in there). I forgot to take more screenshots when I was playtesting the other night. The Castor-120 based rockets are an absolute dream to fly - you just have to tweak their starting TWR to be as low as possible (~1.1).

Edited by CobaltWolf

43 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Juno parts need a second art pass, but the rocket itself is in game. Thanks to @Jso for making the part balance spreadsheets that let me quickly figure out how much fuel belongs in the engines. Now to do the SRBs and baby probes and it's done. Then I guess Diamant and I'll call this update done.

Juno is fairly interesting, and is a massive illustration of how easily history could have been different. Juno IV was set to be NASA's light/medium lift launcher, filling a role that would eventually be taken by variants of Thor, while Atlas would have been the true medium launcher, augmented with the interim Vega and Juno IVA upper stages until Centaur was done. However, Juno and it's proponents were eventually muscled out by Thor, not necessarily due to Thor being a better design, but due to politics - one of the prime decision makers at NASA at the time was a former McDonnell (company behind Thor) member, and Thor was already the military's top pick for launching their own satellites, using the Agena stage (called Hustler at the time). The increased familiarity with Thor meant that it was easier to work with, and Juno's launches were plagued with problems due to the unfamiliar hardware. NASA eventually settled on Thor, and Juno II faded into obscurity after only 4 successful launches.

Also in the album is a Carrack-ish launcher (I realize there's an extra Castor 30 in there). I forgot to take more screenshots when I was playtesting the other night. The Castor-120 based rockets are an absolute dream to fly - you just have to tweak their starting TWR to be as low as possible (~1.1).

EPICNESS!!! I can't WAIT to see the probes in this pack. (Pioneer Lunar is what I'm waiting for). 

Edited by davidy12

1 hour ago, davidy12 said:

EPICNESS!!! I can't WAIT to see the probes in this pack. (Pioneer Lunar is what I'm waiting for). 

Which one? There were a bunch. I have Pioneer 1 and 4 planned, just cus there will be room left on the texture sheet for the sargent clusters and Explorer 1.

Just now, CobaltWolf said:

Which one? There were a bunch. I have Pioneer 1 and 4 planned, just cus there will be room left on the texture sheet for the sargent clusters and Explorer 1.

Both!!! But Pioneer 1 is what I'm looking forward to.

3 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Cus if I keep going, sooner or later I'm going to get to Saturn. And I can't let that happen.

Goodbye, KSP forums. It's been a blast.

-CW

You gotta be kidding me!!!!!!! Why? If it's because of Saturn then it could take MONTHS down the line. 

AND YOU DECIDED THIS ALL SPONTANEOUSLY!?!?!?! 

Edited by davidy12