[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Deep Space Exploration Vessels - Build NASA Inspired Ships In KSP

Angelo Kerman

1 hour ago, RocketSquid said:

I have now updated all mods that had new versions pending. Is there any news on why my mods are derping?

Not sure what is going on. I would make a copy of KSP, remove all mods except the Squad folder, download and install DSEV, then download and install the latest WildBlueTools. See if that fixes it. Then start adding mods back in until see the problem, or you get a stable configuration.

3 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Not sure what is going on. I would make a copy of KSP, remove all mods except the Squad folder, download and install DSEV, then download and install the latest WildBlueTools. See if that fixes it. Then start adding mods back in until see the problem, or you get a stable configuration.

Darn it! Not again!

It takes 10+ minutes to copy my install...

Edited by RocketSquid

I feel so very very very very very...

Spoiler

...very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very...

...stupid. While I was going through my GameData folder copying over mods I noticed a free-floating DSEV file. In addition to being redundant and in the wrong place it was an older version. When I removed it the problems went away.

I am so sorry for all of the inconvenience I caused you.

10 minutes ago, RocketSquid said:

I feel so very very very very very...

Reveal hidden contents

...very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very...

...stupid. While I was going through my GameData folder copying over mods I noticed a free-floating DSEV file. In addition to being redundant and in the wrong place it was an older version. When I removed it the problems went away.

I am so sorry for all of the inconvenience I caused you.

Hey at least we figured it out. :)

A quick note: I'm having issues with switching the configuration of the trusses.  Attempting a switch gets me an exception (as noted by Exception Detector), and nothing happening.  I'll try to remember to grab a log next time I see it happen.

2 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Just to clarify: You mean to downgrade WildBlueTools, right?  (That's the difference I see between that link and my current install of DSEV.)

No. sorry, what I meant was try 1.2.4 with the latest WBT. If that isn't working then there's something else going on.

On 8/17/2016 at 2:15 PM, Angel-125 said:

No. sorry, what I meant was try 1.2.4 with the latest WBT. If that isn't working then there's something else going on.

Ok, here are logs, as promised: http://www.magehandbook.com/KSP/DSEV.KSP.log (Note that's a direct link, and my server's upload speed may not be great - I assume clicking 'save as' will be a good idea.)  I didn't do much in that session - just loaded and played around in the VAB a bit - but I've got a lot of mods in there.

I found an issue with CLS and the HexPort Docking Module. It apparently does NOT allow passage. Making a MM_CLS.cfg file  in the DSEV/Parts/Utility folder with the following:

@PART[WBI_HexPort]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]:NEEDS[ConnectedLivingSpace]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleConnectedLivingSpace
        passable = true
    }
}

Apparently solves the issue. 

2 hours ago, Montieth said:

I found an issue with CLS and the HexPort Docking Module. It apparently does NOT allow passage. Making a MM_CLS.cfg file  in the DSEV/Parts/Utility folder with the following:

Apparently solves the issue. 

Hm. Actually DSEV does appear to have support for CLS. I'll expand it. :)

Edited by Angel-125

I guess the CLS mm*.cfg file in the structural parts folder works but doesn't affect the hexport docking module in the utilities folder. 

I found this with a station I put together and tested further on the ground with a variety of parts. I can reproduce tomorrow if you'd like.

Edited by Montieth

3 hours ago, Denko666 said:

Hi Angel,

If i have DSEV, Pathfinder, EPL and OSE Workshop installed. And i'm in a sandbox game, do the Supernova drives need Rocketparts to upgrade to Pulsed Plasma mode? Or Material Kits?

Grtz

Yes, in sandbox you'll need RocketParts to upgrade the engine.

3 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Hm, I thought I fixed that, will take a look.

I seemed to remember that too, thats why i asked if maybe i was using the wrong resources. Mods that are installed and that may have an impact are:

ExtraPlanetary Launchpads

Keridian Dynamics Vessel Assembly

Pathfinder (obviously)

OSE Workshop

Karbonite

Karbonite +

K&K Planetary Base Systems

thats about it for resource chain changing ods i think. There's 154 more mods installed though :wink:

Want me to make a log file featuring an upgrade attempt?

41 minutes ago, Denko666 said:

I seemed to remember that too, thats why i asked if maybe i was using the wrong resources. Mods that are installed and that may have an impact are:

ExtraPlanetary Launchpads

Keridian Dynamics Vessel Assembly

Pathfinder (obviously)

OSE Workshop

Karbonite

Karbonite +

K&K Planetary Base Systems

thats about it for resource chain changing ods i think. There's 154 more mods installed though :wink:

Want me to make a log file featuring an upgrade attempt?

I think you might need to check your install. I just downloaded DSEV 1.2.4 and verified that in sandbox, the engine will upgrade properly. I've also verified that the code I wrote is pretty old, heh. I've learned a lot since then...

• 1 month later...

With the help of @Shadowmage showing how to couple parts together and a long day of experimenting to figure out how to move them into position, I finally can solve a long standing issue with building the Discovery II: wobbly trusses! Next update will have welded docking ports that essentially combine the docked vessels into a single vessel. Without the wobbly docking ports, and combined with the new autostrut feature, the trusses should be pretty sturdy. Here are some pics:

AbgXeCh.png

CXosRIe.png

Hard won victory to get the two parts to join together, but it works! :)

First iteration of how it works:

Spoiler

//Based on code by Shadowmage. Thanks for showing how it's done, Shadowmage! :)
        [KSPEvent(guiName = "Weld Ports", guiActive = true)]
        public void WeldPorts()
        {
            //Check for docking ports
            if (dockingNode == null)
            {
                Debug.Log("Part does not contain a docking node.");
                return;
            }

if (dockingNode.otherNode == null)
            {
                Debug.Log("There is no docked vessel to weld.");
                return;
            }

//Check for parent parts
            AttachNode sourceNode = findAttachNode(this.part);
            AttachNode targetNode = findAttachNode(dockingNode.otherNode.part);
            Part sourcePart = sourceNode.attachedPart;
            Part targetPart = targetNode.attachedPart;

if (sourceNode == null)
            {
                Debug.Log("No parent to weld");
                return;
            }
            if (targetNode == null)
            {
                Debug.Log("Docked port has no parent");
                return;
            }
            if (sourcePart == null)
            {
                Debug.Log("No source part found.");
                return;
            }
            if (targetPart == null)
            {
                Debug.Log("No target part found.");
                return;
            }

//Decouple the ports
            sourcePart.decouple(0);
            targetPart.decouple(0);

//Calculate the distance between the docking ports
            float distance = Mathf.Abs(Vector3.Distance(sourceNode.position, dockingNode.referenceNode.position));
            distance += Mathf.Abs(Vector3.Distance(targetNode.position, dockingNode.otherNode.referenceNode.position));

//Now move the target part next to the source part
            targetPart.transform.position = Vector3.MoveTowards(targetPart.transform.position, sourcePart.transform.position, distance);

//Weld the parts
            sourcePart.Couple(targetPart);
            sourceNode.attachedPart = targetPart;
            targetNode.attachedPart = sourcePart;
            sourcePart.fuelLookupTargets.AddUnique(targetPart);
            targetPart.fuelLookupTargets.AddUnique(sourcePart);

//Cleanup
            FlightGlobals.ForceSetActiveVessel(sourcePart.vessel);
            UIPartActionController.Instance.Deactivate();
            UIPartActionController.Instance.Activate();
            dockingNode.otherNode.part.Die();
            this.part.Die();
        }

protected AttachNode findAttachNode(Part searchPart)
        {
            foreach (AttachNode attachNode in searchPart.attachNodes)
            {
                if (attachNode.attachedPart == searchPart.parent && attachNode.attachedPart != null)
                {
                    return attachNode;
                }
                else
                {
                    foreach (Part childPart in searchPart.children)
                    {
                        if (attachNode.attachedPart == childPart)
                        {
                            return attachNode;
                        }
                    }
                }
            }

return null;
        }

Edited by Angel-125

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Next update will have welded docking ports that essentially combine the docked vessels into a single vessel. Without the wobbly docking ports, and combined with the new autostrut feature, the trusses should be pretty sturdy. 

Hard won victory to get the two parts to join together, but it works! :)

This... changes everything!  Again!

Do you think it would lead to solving the issues of Infernal Robotics and docking construction?  Even if not, it could allow for a major implications through your .dll.

Awesome and thanks for the hard work leading to hard winning!

Peace.

3 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

With the help of @Shadowmage showing how to couple parts together and a long day of experimenting to figure out how to move them into position, I finally can solve a long standing issue with building the Discovery II: wobbly trusses! Next update will have welded docking ports that essentially combine the docked vessels into a single vessel. Without the wobbly docking ports, and combined with the new autostrut feature, the trusses should be pretty sturdy. Here are some pics:

Pretty similar to how I did it for the MKS Konstruction bits we streamed over the summer :)

Edited by RoverDude

8 hours ago, theJesuit said:

This... changes everything!  Again!

Do you think it would lead to solving the issues of Infernal Robotics and docking construction?  Even if not, it could allow for a major implications through your .dll.

Awesome and thanks for the hard work leading to hard winning!

Peace.

It certainly makes DSEV craft sturdier. To be honest, I'm not familiar with the docking problems in Infernal Robotics. I do recall back in KSP .25 or so building an IR station arm to transfer station modules from KSOS shuttles, and docking them to available ports my station wobbled like crazy, but I could still dock the new part. What are some of the docking issues you've seen?

Anyway, I'm excited to finally make progress on the wobbly spacecraft. Its been almost two years. When Das Valdez used DSEV for his Discovery II project, he found that the long trusses wobbled under thrust. I tried reinforcing the docking joints but couldn't get that to work. KIS of course has had the ability to add and remove parts for over a year now, but the current version doesn't lend itself well to being used as as API.

So when Shadowmage showed me that it's actually fairly straightforward to couple parts together, the only hard part left was figuring out how to close the gap left by the docking ports. It wouldn't be a problem if I could've left the ports in place but I don't know if the game lets you attach two parts to the same joint.

Pardon the long reply, but it's been a long standing issue in DSEV, and I'm excited to finally have a fix. And it also gets me a step closer to Project Sandcastle too. Now that I have a better idea of how moving parts in place and coupling them is done, I can 3D print habitats and such on site in a manner similar to what NASA wants to do, and connect them together, like so:

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/giant-nasa-spider-moon-base-sinterhab

Definitely new possibilities! :)

Edited by Angel-125

11 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Next update will have welded docking ports that essentially combine the docked vessels into a single vessel. Without the wobbly docking ports, and combined with the new autostrut feature, the trusses should be pretty sturdy. Here are some pics:

This would be great on the 1.875m docking port in MOLE as well! I use that all the time for station construction.

In fact, I could see this as an incredibly useful stand-alone mod.

1 minute ago, Bombaatu said:

This would be great on the 1.875m docking port in MOLE as well! I use that all the time for station construction.

In fact, I could see this as an incredibly useful stand-alone mod.

Oh yeah, it's built into WBT so MOLE's docking ports will benefit too. I received some feedback and one thing I'll investigate again is leaving the ports in place or making some kind of spacer part. I don't think you can attach two parts on the same stack node but maybe you can surface mount the port into the same location. I would then need to disable the ModuleDockingNode. Another idea came up to only allow engineers on eva to do the weld. Both of these would be options if I can get them to work (engineer on eva is definitely possible).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.