[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Deep Space Exploration Vessels - Build NASA Inspired Ships In KSP

Angelo Kerman

14 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Just starting to work on the IVA, there's a lot to do, but the basics are coming together. I don't have the IVA overlay mesh in place yet so you aren't looking at the final product.

Here you can see how the decks are laid out:

vhVTUoq.png

A picture from the captain's chair:

odLR7i6.png

Flight Engineer's station. Above the control panel will be monitors.

9ROv3Ir.png

A view from 10 Forward:

k0bXsSX.png

The @Kuzzter Instruments 3000. I need to ask Kuzzter if I can borrow some images...

y8OFbM0.png

Finally, with the IVA overlay mesh in place:

G006mvL.png

I think internal coloration might follow this:

TOS3x18h.png

Some ASET Props, and RPM in this IVA? Like you're the amazing IVAs ? :kiss:Plz plz plz plz! You make the best layouts in you're IVAs :) Looking forward to it!

I decided to scrap the USS Enterprise bridge look this weekend, and am going with more of a 2001: A Space Odyssey vibe for the Clyde's IVA, with a hint of the stock mk3 shuttle cockpit. The flight deck is meant to be spacious; I don't want the kerbals to feel cramped on their long journeys.

0O6BgCG.png

For reference:

Spoiler

17a1bbefd5975f38fc098dbf392c0de5.jpg

discovery-interior.jpg

Edited by Angel-125

6 minutes ago, smotheredrun said:

I am fairly certain RPM works in 1.2.2?

Cool. RPM is a requirement for ASET, but last I checked, doesn't contain the ASET controls. I need a URL to the ASET controls that are working on 1.2.2. Without that I can't make an ASET version of the props.

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Cool. RPM is a requirement for ASET, but last I checked, doesn't contain the ASET controls. I need a URL to the ASET controls that are working on 1.2.2. Without that I can't make an ASET version of the props.

Here is a link to the working ASET props: 

PS: If you could use the ALCOR MFDs (ALCORMFD40x20 & ALCORMFD60x30), they have a more detailed Orbital info screen; far more useful.

EDIT: as a test, I edited the BrumbySpaceASET.cfg file & replaced "RasterPropMonitorBasicMFD" with "ALCORMFD40x20" for one of the screens - worked like a charm with no resizing or re-positioning needed.Here is a comparison on the orbit data screens: 

X0vQ55V.png

Edited by Bombaatu

1 hour ago, Bombaatu said:

Here is a link to the working ASET props: 

PS: If you could use the ALCOR MFDs (ALCORMFD40x20 & ALCORMFD60x30), they have a more detailed Orbital info screen; far more useful.

EDIT: as a test, I edited the BrumbySpaceASET.cfg file & replaced "RasterPropMonitorBasicMFD" with "ALCORMFD40x20" for one of the screens - worked like a charm with no resizing or re-positioning needed.Here is a comparison on the orbit data screens: 

Is that an official release? I need to make sure I can post a link to the official mod, or people will complain that they can't find it.

Ah - no, not official.

That's a problem then. I know that @MOARdV is working on a new Avionics Systems mod, so I can make a variant with MAS once it's ready. Creating an ASET IVA is problematic because the mod hasn't officially been updated, and it's a lot of work to do an ASET IVA, and I'd rather not see that work tossed out the door if ASET isn't going to be updated. Meanwhile...

kjP3Z3X.png

sJRNtaM.png

NK3E9r2.png

whX3dkk.png

The stock IVA is almost done, I just need to create the holo emitter suggested by @Geschosskopf. :)

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

That's a problem then. I know that @MOARdV is working on a new Avionics Systems mod, so I can make a variant with MAS once it's ready. Creating an ASET IVA is problematic because the mod hasn't officially been updated, and it's a lot of work to do an ASET IVA, and I'd rather not see that work tossed out the door if ASET isn't going to be updated. Meanwhile...

alexustas is working on ASET.  He's been busy IRL, but he's been working on getting a new ASET props / avionics pack with more props.  However, I definitely would wait for the release, although you can get a head start by grabbing the betas he's released informally on GitHub.

1 hour ago, Drew Kerman said:

where'd those pong screens come from? I edited my own (dual-screen) pong game in post for an image in my previous KSA run but missed when this in-game option came about in the time since then:

That's a custom screen I did for the plasma screens. You can click on the screen to display an image found in the Screenshots directory.

1 hour ago, MOARdV said:

alexustas is working on ASET.  He's been busy IRL, but he's been working on getting a new ASET props / avionics pack with more props.  However, I definitely would wait for the release, although you can get a head start by grabbing the betas he's released informally on GitHub.

Good to know, thanks. :) I think I'll wait until the next release then.

@Angel-125, I built a ship as an experiment using part of this mod, namely the "Centrifuge Hub" Assembly shown in the imgur album link in the OP.

I accidentally left the hub rotating and hit time warp.  Gradually reducing timewarp to 1x speed led to a Kerbal-tastic explosion just aft of the hub.  Poor Jeb, Bill, Bob, and a bunch of (going with the theme of your upcoming command module) let's say Red Shirts are now stuck on Kerbin escape with only 1 year of food....(TAC-LS).

The ship rapidly and unplanne....dedly(?) disassembled itself right between some 2.5m LS inline tanks.

So, is this an Infernal Robotics - Time Warp related Kraken, or a DSEV - Time Warp Kraken?  I have my suspicions that it may be IR related, but any input you have would be appreciated.

3 minutes ago, smotheredrun said:

@Angel-125, I built a ship as an experiment using part of this mod, namely the "Centrifuge Hub" Assembly shown in the imgur album link in the OP.

I accidentally left the hub rotating and hit time warp.  Gradually reducing timewarp to 1x speed led to a Kerbal-tastic explosion just aft of the hub.  Poor Jeb, Bill, Bob, and a bunch of (going with the theme of your upcoming command module) let's say Red Shirts are now stuck on Kerbin escape with only 1 year of food....(TAC-LS).

The ship rapidly and unplanne....dedly(?) disassembled itself right between some 2.5m LS inline tanks.

So, is this an Infernal Robotics - Time Warp related Kraken, or a DSEV - Time Warp Kraken?  I have my suspicions that it may be IR related, but any input you have would be appreciated.

100% an IR problem, and the main reason that next release will have a custom centrifuge.

3 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

100% an IR problem, and the main reason that next release will have a custom centrifuge.

Ok.  I'll try to seek answers over in IR thread.  I've had some "fun" happenings with manipulator arms and vessel switching (all of the parts "reverse 180 degrees and extenders become inverters....), so I was thinking this may be related.  Thanks!

p.s. Please make sure to have plenty of disposable Red Shirts for Away Teams available in the living quarters.  There is a mandatory casualty quota that must be met on all deep space exploration missions.

6 minutes ago, smotheredrun said:

Ok.  I'll try to seek answers over in IR thread.  I've had some "fun" happenings with manipulator arms and vessel switching (all of the parts "reverse 180 degrees and extenders become inverters....), so I was thinking this may be related.  Thanks!

p.s. Please make sure to have plenty of disposable Red Shirts for Away Teams available in the living quarters.  There is a mandatory casualty quota that must be met on all deep space exploration missions.

Hm, might be fun to have a cabinet labeled "Red Shirts" in the hab section. :)

Ok, that EMH is *seriously* cool and I advocate for that to be a stand-alone mod!

Actually, it already is. :) It's called Super Kerbal, a little-known modlet I created last year to help with my Duna Space Program story. About the only other person that might've used it was @Geschosskopf. In creating the Clyde's holoscreen, I knew I wanted an EMH as part of it (it's a nod to Voyager, the Clyde's HAL 9000 reference is of course a nod to 2001: A Space Odyssey), and decided to rebuild and rebrand the Super Kerbal modlet into the Mobile Emitter modlet. It will require KIS, so be forewarned.

Anyway, I finished up the basic functionality for it this morning; now I just need to make the mobile emitter KIS part that hangs on the kerbal's upper arm. The other thing I want to do is tie the emitter into my Snacks Continued mod so that the EMH doesn't eat up your snacks while the rest of the crew sleeps. Just go EVA, equip the emitter, and set the appropriate option. I made Snacks moddable so I can do stuff like that. :)

Since it's a pretty powerful device, it's available after researching Experimental Electronics. It probably needs additional limitations, like consuming some rare resource that isn't easily produced; once it runs out, your kerbal becomes a Tourist until you recharge the device.

Edited by Angel-125

With the Clydesdale now complete, I looked at my roadmap for the next release of DSEV. The next tough project will be the centrifuge, but I already have ideas on how to spin the IVA along with the external model. The tough part will be seeing if I can have the IVA follow the external model as its folds up. If not, that's ok. Anyway, last month @Kuzzter suggested an inline variant of the Clydesdale, and I'm pleased to say that the exterior model came together rapidly. I need to flip the front name tag around, but it's otherwise good to go.

gYAhI1D.png

I just need to make a variant of the Clyde's IVA to account for the new form factor, but it will otherwise work fine for the Danube Delta. :)

Edited by Angel-125

13 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Anyway, last month @Kuzzter suggested an inline variant of the Clydesdale, and I'm pleased to say that the exterior model came together rapidly. I need to flip the front name tag around, but it's otherwise good to go.

And it looks great! Presuming Kerbfleet survives their present difficulties, I'm thinking I can make good use of these parts for what comes next. Already designing a dark green Fleet uniform and balding Kerbal head to go with the EMH :D 

Edited by Kuzzter

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.