[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Deep Space Exploration Vessels - Build NASA Inspired Ships In KSP

Angelo Kerman

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Not sure I understand the question. I can use the 3.75m fairing to make a aeroshell for the Estonian...

ah ok, didnt think of that, i was thinking the 'auto ones that you get from some decouplers, but this an idea i hadent thought of! ive been very tired /stupid lately.... 

Made good progress on the Trinity:

Qz29Ico.png

6htKSvw.png

The heat animation isn't working yet for some reason. It works in Unity but not in game. Haven't figured out why.

But here's the engine running:

it9mroW.png

Don't forget, if you run the engine in the atmosphere of Kerbin/whatever homeworld, or in the vicinity of other crewed vessels, then you'll incur a Reputation hit for each second the engine is under thrust.

3 minutes ago, Space Kadet said:

so is this using the nuclear salt water thats the same resource in @Nertea's far future mod? 

When you have FFT installed, yes. Otherwise, it uses Explodium (defined by WBI). Explodium can be scooped up from Eve's Explodium Sea via Pathfinder's Lasso Aero/Hydro scoop. You can also make the stuff in Pathfinder's Nukeworks or in a D2 Lab. You can also make the corresponding NuclearSaltWater in the D2 Lab/Pathfinder's Nukeworks.

Edited by Angel-125

As many of you know, I only add parts to my mods if they serve a useful purpose. I finally found a use for the hex hangar: as part of the structure needed for the Automated Construction Hangar. With @taniwha's changes to Extraplanetary Launchpads, I can make a small construction dock for DSEV. And since the meshes are versatile, I can add the Hex Hangar needed to make the Nautilus. Here's a preview:

FiorThg.png

o4mfu5E.png

The NAUTILUS-X also has that habitat ring and radial command pod. The hab ring is iffy- I don't have much use for it at the moment, and the command pod is really specialized, so I might not make that either. I still want to be feature complete by the end of the year...

I guess you could also say that the Nautilus' engine is the Trinity... :)

Context for the parts I'm referring to:

maxresdefault.jpg

If I make the hab ring, I might do something like this:

content-1477065995-v7jsiey.jpg

Edited by Angel-125

35 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Last update for the night:

pxeHyiR.png

oh come on man you cane pull that pretty ness out and not make the command pod, ill wait till feb is i have to! (and cap converters would be nice too! ) 

also have a look at the station parts expansion and station parts redux that nertea is doing, you could just add your modular storage to them when they are loaded!

2 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

oh come on man you cane pull that pretty ness out and not make the command pod, ill wait till feb is i have to! (and cap converters would be nice too! ) 

also have a look at the station parts expansion and station parts redux that nertea is doing, you could just add your modular storage to them when they are loaded!

The thing is, if I spend all my time making other people happy, I'm the one who ends up miserable. My deadline for DSEV is end of the year. After that, I'm calling it done. So yeah, I can make the command pod and airlock and hab ring, but that's not going to leave time for other things. My original plan for DSEV was Discovery II, Copernicus, and Nautilus as well as Mars Excursion Module. Given time constraints, if I go that route, then I cancel Venture Star. I'm not willing to push things out just to have a few extra parts; I've got one other project that's been delayed a year now, and I'm not willing to delay any further. So, it's either Nautilus or Venture Star, but not both. By at least making the corridor and adapter, there's opportunity to get the rest elsewhere.

Edited by Angel-125

24 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

The thing is, if I spend all my time making other people happy, I'm the one who ends up miserable. My deadline for DSEV is end of the year. After that, I'm calling it done. So yeah, I can make the command pod and airlock and hab ring, but that's not going to leave time for other things. My original plan for DSEV was Discovery II, Copernicus, and Nautilus as well as Mars Excursion Module. Given time constraints, if I go that route, then I cancel Venture Star. I'm not willing to push things out just to have a few extra parts; I've got one other project that's been delayed a year now, and I'm not willing to delay any further. So, it's either Nautilus or Venture Star, but not both. By at least making the corridor and adapter, there's opportunity to get the rest elsewhere.

For those agitating for centrifuge rings:

SSTU has 3 (three) rotating ring habs.  And inflatable pods. This is the thing about KSP, you can use more than one mod at a time. SSTU has a low footprint for all the stuff (engines that can cluster, adjustable fuel tanks, command pods, solar arrays. and all sorts of goodness). I'm not advertising it, but it's worth a look.

What I'm saying is, If a mod you like doesn't have the part you want, ask the author, but if he says 'no' or 'not right now', have a look around. If you find that the mod that has the part you like has too much other stuff, try deleting the bits you dont need or using something like Janitors Closet to do it ingame. 

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

i get that, maybe then there will be a second space ship mod in the future :P well , either way im lovin the stuff!

18 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

agEqwLj.png

Got the emissive working... That there is the nuclear saltwater mode's exhaust plume. Think continuous nuclear explosion.

Looking good - my one comment is that I'd expect the exhaust plume to be hotter.  Not the cool red glow of chemical rockets - I'd expect it to be glowing in the blue and ultraviolet range.  Maybe cooling towards red near the outer edges of the plume.

3 hours ago, DStaal said:

Looking good - my one comment is that I'd expect the exhaust plume to be hotter.  Not the cool red glow of chemical rockets - I'd expect it to be glowing in the blue and ultraviolet range.  Maybe cooling towards red near the outer edges of the plume.

That is definitely a decision of art versus realism, something I'm learning to do. It's supposed to be reminiscent of this:

Operation_Upshot-Knothole_-_Badger_001.j

The nuclear saltwater rocket is described by Atomic Rockets as a continuous nuclear explosion... :)

That's in the air - you're looking at the outer edges of secondary heating.  Realism I'd actually expect the plume to be nearly invisible - it'd be glowing in ultraviolet and possibly X-ray, but not in the visible spectrum.  The red just looks wrong to me, now that I've trained myself to think of colors and heat.  It looks way to weak.

7 minutes ago, DStaal said:

That's in the air - you're looking at the outer edges of secondary heating.  Realism I'd actually expect the plume to be nearly invisible - it'd be glowing in ultraviolet and possibly X-ray, but not in the visible spectrum.  The red just looks wrong to me, now that I've trained myself to think of colors and heat.  It looks way to weak.

I'm ok with that. If it looks cool, then I'm good with it. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.