The Future of FASA

NathanKell

Hi all!

frizzank has entrusted me with maintaining FASA now that he's moving on to other things. Here are my general plans.

First, FASA will be moving to a CC-BY-NC-SA license. That means you can reuse FASA assets, but you must give credit to frizzank, prominently; you must allow others to reuse/derive from your work, and you must not sell or otherwise profit commercially from the FASA assets.

Second, existing parts will be maintained for regular (non-RO) KSP usage. Further, for any new parts, or old parts that change, we're looking for volunteers to configure them for regular KSP play, since making all FASA parts available for regular KSP play remains our aim.

Third, the awesome Raidernick and saabstory88 have already stepped up to work on filling in the gaps and making modifications to the assets when needed (though per point 2, the original forms of all assets will be preserved as an option).

Due to all of us being rather busy, please don't start any hype tricycles. But I did very much want to finally make the announcment, not least so that those people who do want to make derivative works using FASA assets as a base can do so.

Let's give another hearty cheer to our great benefactor and artist extraordinaire frizzank. :)

Edited by NathanKell

You should be aware that share alike clause in some CC licenses are generally considered to be unenforceable for the purpose of software because of substantial loopholes. If your goal is simply to create a culture of openness rather than actually enforce licenses you can ignore me.

You should be aware that share alike clause in some CC licenses are generally considered to be unenforceable for the purpose of software because of substantial loopholes. If your goal is simply to create a culture of openness rather than actually enforce licenses you can ignore me.
FASA is largely art assets so CC works just fine. I'm not sure if the ReflectionPlugin is frizzank's work, unfortunately, but there is precedent for (and plenty of examples of) code being licensed differently than assets.

Second, existing parts will be maintained for regular (non-RO) KSP usage. Further, for any new parts, or old parts that change, we're looking for volunteers to configure them for regular KSP play.

As a non-RO player, I'm mildly disappointed that stock KSP configs are not a core goal for future releases, beyond community-supplied configs. But maybe I'm the odd-man out in the FASA crowd.

As a non-RO player, I'm mildly disappointed that stock KSP configs are not a core goal for future releases, beyond community-supplied configs. But maybe I'm the odd-man out in the FASA crowd.

No, you're not alone your disappointment. I have no interest in RO and no free time to spend sorting out config files. Hopefully, the stance on stock-level configs will get a rethink.

No, you're not alone your disappointment. I have no interest in RO and no free time to spend sorting out config files. Hopefully, the stance on stock-level configs will get a rethink.
NathanKell is literally asking for volunteers because his normal crowd of helpers is almost purely focused on Realism Overhaul. If you're disappointed, volunteer.

I'm mildly disappointed that people seem to be misreading what I wrote. It is not the end of stock configs. It is merely a recognition that balancing configs for stock KSP is...shall we say not within the skill set of the three people currently engaged in this endeavor, and that's why we want to expand the team.

What stance would you like me to take? Have me guess numbers for them? That won't end well. :P

I'm mildly disappointed that people seem to be misreading what I wrote. It is not the end of stock configs. It is merely a recognition that balancing configs for stock KSP is...shall we say not within the skill set of the three people currently engaged in this endeavor, and that's why we want to expand the team.

What stance would you like me to take? Have me guess numbers for them? That won't end well. :P

Again, I extend my proposal to help with configs, as I have a fair amount of experience in that field. :)

I'm sorry I misunderstood the intent of your statement. I read "for any new parts ... we're looking for volunteers to configure them for regular KSP play" as "we're not doing stock KSP configs, but if someone else wants to do them, awesome.", not as "we're looking for a 'FASA stock configs' team member." I've got dozens of hours invested in the FASA Gemini Pod IVA remake, and seeing FASA moving to an "RO-only" release plan (even though that's not your intent) was discouraging. So, kindly disregard my previous statement.

Regarding licensing. I do not care what mod, fork, config, or re-skin you make from FASA. Just credit me as the author for my parts your using. You are just not permitted to sell the art assets, I retain that right.

The reflection plugin was made by Starwaster and his plugin is no longer updated and still has a few bugs. Also his license is public domain so anyone can use it.http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/70089-Reflection-Plugin-Continued-0-24-2. But with the new unity 5 upgrade moders will be able to use their own shaders much easier and will probably be a good time to create a better reflection shader when it comes out.

Also the as-is version of FASA will remain on Kerbal Stuff for anyone wanting the standard um-modified version of FASA.

Nathan, I don't know if you've seen this yet or if it would be much help, but the National Reconnaissance Office recently released a pile of declassified records about the Manned Orbiting Laboratory, a.k.a. the KH-10 DORIAN.

Here's the link: Index, Declassified Manned Orbiting Laboratory (MOL) Records

Large parts are (surprise!) redacted, hopefully not too many of them are useful diagrams.

Nathan, I don't know if you've seen this yet or if it would be much help, but the National Reconnaissance Office recently released a pile of declassified records about the Manned Orbiting Laboratory, a.k.a. the KH-10 DORIAN.

Here's the link: Index, Declassified Manned Orbiting Laboratory (MOL) Records

Large parts are (surprise!) redacted, hopefully not too many of them are useful diagrams.

That is a ton of info. Its funny that it was just a giant spy satellite with science tacked on. Also that they redacted the actual resolution of the images from 60 year old technology.

That is a ton of info. Its funny that it was just a giant spy satellite with science tacked on. Also that they redacted the actual resolution of the images from 60 year old technology.

The Resolution was possibly redacted previously. Oftentimes the US Military/Intelligence community have documents that are copies of documents that are redacted for lower security classification people. Often times these redacted copies are what are released under FOI Act. I have seen similar documents pertaining to aircraft systems and weapons developed during the Vietnam Civil war.

• 3 weeks later...
Can you add more versions of the Atlas engines? The Booster engines and sustainer engine? That way people can make accurate replicas of all the early Atlas Rockets. From the ICBM to the Atlas II. I tried using the standard engines that come with this mod on a correctly scaled Atlas II and it was too heavy. There was only a .69 TWR ratio. I would like to see more powerful Atlas engines so I could replicate those rockets. Could you please do this for me?

For those that are curious, I am beginning work on bringing this lovely doodad into existence:

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3f/Apollo_CM_Control_Panel.jpg/1024px-Apollo_CM_Control_Panel.jpg[/img]

The idea being that it would be the Apollo version of MoarDV's Gemini spacecraft. Currently, the main goals aside from obviously getting the layout set and all the functions set up, is to retexture the interior to better match the real thing and to provide a general function update to the CSM as a whole. Future plans include a similar update to the LM, the 5 man Skylab Rescue version, as well as interiors based on Eyes Turned Skyward. (in that order)

No wip screenies as of yet because I'm still familiarizing myself with the tools I'm going to use, but it should prove quite awesome. I've been saying ever since Frizz brought out his Saturn V that there needed to be a good Apollo IVA, and with alexusta's IVA props and MoarDV's proof of concept, its more possible than ever to create one. So, I'm gonna do it :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.