[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

So, Mechjeb offers Land at Pad and Land at VAB options. Is there a way in the configs to configure more of these preset locations? I would ideally like to add some coordinates for a point in the sea east of KSC for times when I need a softer landing, and also add a point further west for times when I know I will be gliding in (SSTOs etc).

Perhaps MJ could consider adding a feature to save landing points selected in the usual manner (in map mode with the cursor or via target selection) to a list with a user defined name added?

So, Mechjeb offers Land at Pad and Land at VAB options. Is there a way in the configs to configure more of these preset locations? I would ideally like to add some coordinates for a point in the sea east of KSC for times when I need a softer landing, and also add a point further west for times when I know I will be gliding in (SSTOs etc).

Perhaps MJ could consider adding a feature to save landing points selected in the usual manner (in map mode with the cursor or via target selection) to a list with a user defined name added?

What I don't understand is it can land my ships perfect if I manually select a location but if I set it as the pad etc it never lands on it, its always at least 2-3km off.

Would be useful to have a 'Hold position' function relative to another craft. Maybe as a sub-set of the docking autopilot, to place aa hold point on a docking. For instane, docking could be halted at a set distance (5-25m), so that the rotation could be fine tuned or other aspects checked before proceeding to final distance.

I often use the Canadarm mod to do the final docking of supply vehicles etc to avoid craft impacting with solar panels or other fragile parts on my space stations. However, using the Rendevous autopilot is not sufficient, as I need to drone craft to hold a stationary position for long enough to manouvre the arm. Even with the best balanced craft and carefully tuned orbit, stationary craft tend to drift.

Just a suggestion.

That definitely would be a cool addition.

And yeah, the thing about orbital mechanics is that it's pretty much guaranteed that you constantly have to have station keeping performed once in awhile. If two objects occupy different spatial positions then their orbits can't be the same so they will drift eventually.

That is true, but it shouldn't happen as fast as it does now

What I don't understand is it can land my ships perfect if I manually select a location but if I set it as the pad etc it never lands on it, its always at least 2-3km off.

Since both method do exactly the same thing (set a long/lat) I seriously doubt that. With a multiple km miss I guess you play with FAR or NEAR ?

Sampa : nope, even tiny orbit differences can make you drift fast.

I'll have a look at a dirty station keeping this weekend since most of the required code is already here.

Hello everyone I have currently the KSP 90 and Mechjeb 2420

Whenever I do ascent mode and it starts the maneuver node execution, the controls are going crazy and not move towards the blue thingy,

target or something, and it happens at rendvenzure too! How can I fix it it's very annoying?

And in docking mode I cant set as target the docking target I right click it alot of times and it doesn't do anything.

That is true, but it shouldn't happen as fast as it does now

If your comparing this to real life it will happen faster due to physics. In KSP all objects are much smaller and much more dense than real life making tidal forces that much greater.

If your comparing this to real life it will happen faster due to physics. In KSP all objects are much smaller and much more dense than real life making tidal forces that much greater.

No, that has nothing to do with it. There are no tidal forces in KSP at all.

Ok, don't call it tidal forces since the usual formal definition deals with multiple bodies. But they also use it when referring to black holes as the rate of change of g over distance from the body. Hence why small blackholes spaghettify faster. And it's that higher gradient in KSP that causes faster drift.

There are no tidal forces within a spacecraft in KSP. But when you consider two spacecraft orbiting near together, the relative force on one with respect to the other is exactly like tidal force. And tidal force varies as the reciprocal cube of the radius, which is smaller for LKO as opposed to LEO, so the force is greater for LKO as opposed to LEO. So two spacecraft near to one another in LKO will tend to drift apart faster than two spacecraft near to one another in LEO.

There's also the difference in the standard gravitation parameter, mu, or GM, between Kerbin and Earth. Tidal force in the radial direction is roughly:

relative accel / distance = 2 mu / orbit-radius ^ 3 = 2 GM / R^3

For Kerbin and LKO of 100km, it's about 2.06x10^-5 m/s^2 / m

For Earth and LEO of 200km, it's about 2.80x10^-6 m/s^2 / m

Edited by Jacke

If you go back and look at post #8151 you will get some info.

Also, a basic version of the file "landing.cfg" is here;

MechJeb2Landing

{

LandingSites

{

Site

{

name = KSC Pad

latitude = -0.09694444

longitude = -74.5575

// body = "Kerbin" // if not set defaults to the starting world (Kerbin, Earth for RSS)

}

}

Runways

{

Runway

{

name = KSC runway

// body = "Kerbin" // if not set defaults to the starting world (Kerbin, Earth for RSS)

start

{

latitude = -0.050185

longitude = -74.490867

altitude = 67

}

end

{

latitude = -0.0485981

longitude = -74.726413

altitude = 67

}

}

}

}

Hi. Thanks for this awesome mod. :-)

I have an issue: Whenever I engage autopilot, be it for ascent or for maneuvers, only the very first mechjeb maneuver on a specific vessel is done. After that, Mechjeb is not able to turn the vessel, like if it lost control. I suspect it can be a conflict with Remote Tech - but I did not found anything about this issue when I looked for it.

For example with ascent: mechjeb works ok until the moment when the the vessel goes "to the space". The moment when prograde/retrograde marks on navball jumps a little, from surface to orbit pro/retrograde, Mechjeb is still in control of the engines, but is unable to turn the vessel around to keep the ascent profile.

Is there something I can try to do, either to fix it, or to help with diagnostic?

Thanks.

(Current versions of everything, no other mod affecting vessel control, except mechjeb and remote tech.)

I would like to do this also. Where can I find the root directory. I've looked in the mod folders and I cant find it.

https://github.com/MuMech/MechJeb2/raw/master/LandingSites.cfg

Not sure that it is packaged or work with the official release. You may need the dev version of MJ.

I pushed a new dev version with a new SMARTRcs module to handle RCS operation. For now it only has a button to hold velocity relative to your target.

If you have ideas of stuff to add to that post them.

I also added a check box to the landing AP to disable the RCS adjustment.

Hello guys, i have downloaded Mechjeb, and well, eveything works wonderfully, except for the Ascend Guidance window, it doesnt show up, and well, i dont know what to do, i use Sandbox mode, and when i press that window, well a small square appears, what i should do? Its the same with the Smart A.S.S window. Doesnt appear, help!

Hey Sarbian, I've been getting lots of wierd crashes (along with NaN error problems in output log) and lots of exception spam coming from mechjeb, so I'm rolling back to #401, which is the previous stable (for me) dev version of MJ.

http://sta.sh/0irl0ug9gs4 Most recent output log and a whole bunch of crashlogs that may or may not be caused by mechjeb. I've recently been having a strange crash where after a while (or after some scene changes) the lighting starts glitching out and when I change scene again, it crashes.

Well, actually, I don't know if mechjeb is responsible for the crashes, just that it started crashing worse (and in a strange way) plus exception spam since I put #402 in.

Edited by smjjames

Nope, there is only 1 exception related to MJ in this log (and 2 to the exp) and they only show on init and have no impact on the stability

One of your crash has :

"DynamicHeapAllocator out of memory - Could not get memory for large allocationCould not allocate memory: System out of memory!"

So I guess you are playing near the memory limit. Or you have too many other program running. I managed to have my stripped dev KSP crash of an out of memory with Chrome tabs eating all my mem yesterday...

Edited by sarbian

I swear that I was getting a lot when I was using the smartRCS.

Anyways, it seems more stable now (aside from an outright windows CTD that left no crash log earlier).

Also, do you know what the heck is going on with those reflectiontypeload exceptions? I've been getting LOADS of them for some reason.