On the subject of immortality

Hysterrics

A common argument would be that you would get tired of seeing loved ones die and so on...

But my question is, could it just be a big bandwagon?

I mean, it's still life. I would rather be living then dead. Anything is better than dead.

[B][U]Thoughts?[/U][/B]

I'd rather be dead than suffer for eternity, but I'd rather be alive and healthy and watch the world fall apart around me than dead, as long as I can kill myself whenever I want.
Not because I'm afraid of dieing, I am just too curious about how the future will turn out.

Ever watched [URL="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/"]The Man from Earth[/URL]?

I've seen that movie. I would recommend it to all. Not the greatest acting, but it sure makes you think!

As for the OP: at this moment in my life I'm all for immortality, but reserve the right to change my opinion at any time. My question is that, while we may one day figure out how to repair ourselves on a cellular level to a degree that we create immortality, I doubt very much that our minds will be able to cope with it. Edited by justidutch

The man from earth was an interesting idea.

On the OP both death and eternity are terrifying I think :D They can both produce similar very unpleasant anxiety if seriously considered.
And as soon as you loose a really close loved one being immortal is out of the question anyway.
Definitely not anything is better than death as mentionned in OP. Suicide/euthanasia wouldn't be a thing if that was the case.
I guess it only leaves some very creative out of time existence idea to save the day.

• 6 months later...

I think immortality should be a thing in the future, but it would raise many problems regarding overpopulation and politics

However, I think that if we do manage to achieve immortality, we'll have already colonized other celestial bodies, so perhaps it would be less of a problem?

If I had to chance to become immortal, I'd accept it. One of my biggest desires is to see how humanity progresses, so not dying would help a lot.

the plot of the two novel are kinda nice ; ) also the thematic of immortality via some metaphor near the end of dosadi if i remind well ; ) fanny mae is kinda an interesting caracter also regarding space agencies spectros studies of the sun and celestial bodies from the metaphoric pov ; ) kinda like the nautilus or whatever of that kind ; )

(( don't ask me ask kim peek i m not him it's not like i expect anithing from posting this from any random reader i have my own daily concern to deal with, all i can say is my realitease is/are not yours, while  i prolly experienced yours you prolly not experienced mine ))

"scholar?q=correlation+a+n+dimension" my brain is sort of permanently stuck in thoose kind of loop wich is all but fun to make it simple, it's both interesting and both very annoying

green grin in the air to take a brhearth isn't it >?)

and please keep in mind photon don't die they just travel much longer than you xDr scientist ; ) haha some time that's kinda flat e x c u s e m e if you can't prove me right on this one, give an attempt at proving me wrong xDr i m watching you xDr

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

7 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

I COULD EXPLORE THE UNIVERSE!!!

No, you could not. You would not die, but also not be able to move, so when the Earth is finally gone, you will float helplessly through the void, forever. Not a smartphone with cat pictures in sight.

doctor who kind of played around with the concept in the last season. the man from earth was probibly the best movie where absolutely nothing happens. then theres zardoz, a very heady movie with a lot of male member references, also you get to watch sean connery run around in his underwear the whole movie.

10 hours ago, Camacha said:

No, you could not. You would not die, but also not be able to move, so when the Earth is finally gone, you will float helplessly through the void, forever. Not a smartphone with cat pictures in sight.

Well, that doesn't mean someone can't put me on a robotic starship to show me the views :sticktongue:

I would want to know the caveats of that particular immortality. will I continue to age and just never die, even as I spend thousands of years as an arthritic,blind, deaf husk of a man? Do I regenerate wounds and stay youthful?

My answer would depend on those variables, things like that.

Just take as a rule: every time when you become immortal, don't forget to require a fast regeneration. It's obvious.

This btw makes two more problems:
1. Regeneration means rearranging of available atoms in right order. So, a trillion years later you will be drifting through the space riding a piece of rock thrown away by an asteroid attack.
2. Human body runs through several development stages, so some structures which appear before birth must be destroyed or deformed to make you an adult unit.
So, that means, for example, problems with a double set of teeth, with opened fonticulis and great problems in anatomical aspects of personal life (not listed due to the forum rules).

Edited by kerbiloid

On 13/06/2016 at 2:56 PM, Spaceception said:

Well, that doesn't mean someone can't put me on a robotic starship to show me the views :sticktongue:

Let us be optimistic and assume these are the best German engineers that manage to build a robotic ship that lasts 50.000 years. No small feat and many orders of magnitude more resilient than anything we can currently build, but they gritted their teeth and actually did it. Determined Germans are a force to be reckoned with. Yes 50.000 years is nothing on a galactic time span. What are you going to do with your other billions of years floating through the void?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.