Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 18--He's a docking wizard! (there had to be a twist?)

Mister Dilsby

9 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

I don't think I am going to address that issue in the comic...as you'll see, I'm already doing enough damage to the walls :) 

Walls? What walls? I don't even have fourth walls! 

Linus: And I have a bunch of Yummy Mint Ice- SURFACE SAMPLES!!! YEAH! SURFACE SAMPLES!!! I was totally not just eating our surface samples! I was uhhhh... Erm... Checking if these Pol surface samples are real Gold? Because Pol is Yellow?...

Walt: You were eating the surface samples. 

Linus: NO I- ok fine. Yes I was... :(

9 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

So yeah, I decided to turn terrain scatter on. The spiky things just look too awesome for me not to! I had it off in 1.0.5 because of performance issues, but of course that's all in the past now that we're 'turbocharged' in 1.1. I only wish I'd thought to do it before the Intrepid landing, that would have made it look even more spectacular!

I was trying really hard and be polite and not mention it, but heck yeah, you HAVE to turn the scatter on when your on Pol...
It's by far the best terrain scatter in the game!  I'm just amazed one didn't sprout right thru the Intrepid!  :0.0:

Edited by Just Jim

11 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Hey Kuzzter, if the wheels say they're not blocked, try what @Geschosskopf said, or maybe try Infinite Electricity, even tho the electric capacity may be at full.

Appreciate the help from both of you, thanks--looks like the wheels are not blocked, as the replacement rover (identical one spawned on Kerbin and hyperedited to Pol) works just fine:

qP9e1HK.png

I think the best current hypothesis is that the rover wheels originally spawned in 1.0.x just don't work in 1.1.x. I've posted a Question on the subject in the appropriate section, and there is a link there to a .sfs file with both rovers if anyone is interested in debugging the problem. But for purposes of our story here, the problem is solved :) 

Edited by Kuzzter

On 2016-07-26 at 8:46 AM, Kuzzter said:

Sarge has been holding down the 'W' key for a while now and the rover doesn't move. He really, really wants to explore, especially since those strange spiky things suddenly popped up out of the ground for no apparent reason. I understand wheels might be bugged now--any ideas?

Maybe wheels are very stubborn on Pol?

Edited by Wildcat111

7 minutes ago, Alchemist said:

Heh, I once landed a large rover on Gilly. Let's just say it still used nukes to actually move around.

Haha:D. got me laughing

On 2016-07-26 at 8:46 AM, Kuzzter said:

Sarge has been holding down the 'W' key for a while now and the rover doesn't move. He really, really wants to explore, especially since those strange spiky things suddenly popped up out of the ground for no apparent reason. I understand wheels might be bugged now--any ideas?

Maybe you should use a hovercraft with ion engines?

Edited by Wildcat111

16 minutes ago, Deddly said:

@Kuzzter, maybe it's time to get out the agonizer.

Nah, I'll just make it canon.

CFIQBgm.png

OSUWAD3.png

Driving is somewhat challenging, but loads of fun. On level ground I can get the rover up to about 10 m/s... of course any bump will get you airborne and heaven help you if you attempt to turn. There's a reaction wheel right in front of the docking port, I tend to drive with the dialogue box for it open so I can quickly turn it on whenever I need to re-orient the wheels towards the ground (have been too lazy to remap the keyboard, so WASD handles both rover controls and SAS right now--reaction wheel is off when driving, otherwise stepping on the accelerator would flip it over) And yes, I see that there's an "SAS Only" option on the reaction wheels now but I haven't bothered figuring that out yet, I'm too busy making screenshots and word balloons :) 

Just now, UnusualAttitude said:

All your rover needs now is a Confederate flag and a horn that plays the first twelve notes of 'Dixie'...

Sadly, Forum rule 2.2e may preclude the former, and vacuum the latter. Though I did once enter a replica '69 Dodge Charger called "Kerbal Lee" in a "Dukes of Duna" driving challenge :D 

2 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

You did see the part where I said I got the rover working, right? :) 

Yeah, i did. I was just making a suggestion for a future graphic novel.

1 hour ago, Kuzzter said:

Driving is somewhat challenging, but loads of fun.

Thats where the hoverboard comes in. It makes it more fun.

4 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

(have been too lazy to remap the keyboard, so WASD handles both rover controls and SAS right now

I strongly recommend remapping the rover controls to the kepad.  That way, you can use WASD, the keypad, or both as the situation dictates.  KSP makes far too little use of the keypad so it's fair game for any remapping needs.

8 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

I strongly recommend remapping the rover controls to the kepad.  That way, you can use WASD, the keypad, or both as the situation dictates.  KSP makes far too little use of the keypad so it's fair game for any remapping needs.

Oh cool, I'm not the only one that uses the keypad for roving!!!   Using the keypad to drive leaves your left hand free for thrusters, which my Chariots have, and also quite apparently so does Sarge's rover.  It's much easier using both hands  :wink:

Edited by Just Jim

12 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

There's a reaction wheel right in front of the docking port, I tend to drive with the dialogue box for it open so I can quickly turn it on whenever I need to re-orient the wheels towards the ground (have been too lazy to remap the keyboard, so WASD handles both rover controls and SAS right now--reaction wheel is off when driving, otherwise stepping on the accelerator would flip it over) And yes, I see that there's an "SAS Only" option on the reaction wheels now but I haven't bothered figuring that out yet, I'm too busy making screenshots and word balloons :) 

Taking the five minutes to map rover controls to IJKL will be the best expenditure of time you'll make this summer. And for the new versions, just copy-paste your settings file so you don't have to redo all the config options every update.

Rune. Just like docking, roving on low gravity is a two-hands-on-the-keyboard kind of thing.

Edited by Rune

4 hours ago, Elowiny said:

Just wondering, what other bodies are you going to land the full Intrepid on?

What makes you so sure the full Intrepid is going to make it off Poll in one piece?

6 hours ago, Elowiny said:

Just wondering, what other bodies are you going to land the full Intrepid on?

Not intending to land on any more--we'll lift off from Pol with the tanks filled, and should then have enough aboard for all the landing craft to do their jobs. Qwammer will refuel itself on Tylo and on Vall. Depending on the fuel situation I may land the ship on Pol one more time before heading for home.

4 hours ago, Rune said:

Taking the five minutes to map rover controls to IJKL will be the best expenditure of time you'll make this summer. And for the new versions, just copy-paste your settings file so you don't have to redo all the config options every update.

True, but then again I did activate thrusters and use IJKL to avoid spiky rock formations when Sarge and Melbe finished their Highlands survey and barrelled downhill back to Intrepid! I'll figure something out, I'm sure--there are a lot of keys on the keyboard to play with.

1 hour ago, Deddly said:

What makes you so sure the full Intrepid is going to make it off Poll in one piece?

Heh. Well ,as far as we know the Kerbulans haven't arrived in the system yet. Pieces of the Intrepid are disappearing, though. We're down to one Jooldiver and a few scansats. I was thinking of firing a scansat from the surface to intercept Bop while we're waiting for the tanks to fill up; anything to shed part count!