Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 18--He's a docking wizard! (there had to be a twist?)

Mister Dilsby

1 hour ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Stable 1.1 ? Peut-être, mais jusque-là, il est écraser tellement je perds...

Chacun à son gout.  Moi, je trouve le 1.1 fantastique.

1 hour ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

*Détermination.

OK, I can't hold it back anymore......

1 hour ago, Geschosskopf said:

Chacun à son gout.  Moi, je trouve le 1.1 fantastique.

Ce que je voulais dire que ce sera un moment jusqu'à 1.1 est stable, ainsi que des mods stables. Tant, en fait, je vais vraiment avoir du mal à ...
(What I meant was that it'll be a while till 1.1 is stable, along with stable mods. So long, in fact, I will really find it hard to...)

Restez Déterminée . . .

3 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

OK, I can't hold it back anymore......

I do love that movie. Practiced the 'road agent spin' on my replica Colt Navy until I wore out the trigger spur. Still prefer to look through a piece of rock candy rather than eat it.

5 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Ce que je voulais dire que ce sera un moment jusqu'à 1.1 est stable, ainsi que des mods stables. Tant, en fait, je vais vraiment avoir du mal à ...Restez Déterminée . . .

Quand TriggerAU termine la KSPedia, puis il va faire la KAC et tout sera bon, hein?

11 hours ago, Parkaboy said:

I went there for the Spore Galactic Adventures adventure camp. It was awesome. I still have the figurine and poster they gave me.

I have a 3D printed "creater" creature right next to Jeb K. and Gregromund K. I recently moved my Kerbal Mechanic, Gus K., downstairs next to some Saturn-family rocket models.

5vyhNOA.jpg

Man, Parkaboy, you were a great Spore creator. :)

Remember, mes amis--not everyone reads French and we're not in the International forum. :)  

Burn's going well--about 12 minutes in, we're getting overheat warnings for the engines on H-pod but I think we can handle it. Worst case, I disable those and/or go to the Kerbodynes.

ETA: Yep. Shutting down H-pod. I think I'll save the aux engines (Kerbodynes) for capture.

9JnWsZy.png

Edited by Kuzzter

6 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Quand TriggerAU termine la KSPedia, puis il va faire la KAC et tout sera bon, hein?

Oui.

Anyway, getting back to some non agonizing English, Kuzzter, how do you manage burn times after flicking Kerbodynes on and off?

Stay Determined . . .

14 minutes ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Anyway, getting back to some non agonizing English, Kuzzter, how do you manage burn times after flicking Kerbodynes on and off?

Stay Determined . . .

I've found that if you burn with whatever engines you're actually using, it will reset the burn time. Handy for things like this.

19 minutes ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Well, the times are already messed up since I turned off the game to make breakfast and then reloaded afterwards. In the first session before shutting down H-pod I had accomplished about 1/3 of the burn, but when I reloaded it gave me no 'credit' for that, and restarted the deltaV countdown from the top. So, I guess I keep burning until the apoapsis is about 72 million km... now 21 million and counting. Whoo!

7 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Well, the times are already messed up since I turned off the game to make breakfast and then reloaded afterwards. In the first session before shutting down H-pod I had accomplished about 1/3 of the burn, but when I reloaded it gave me no 'credit' for that, and restarted the deltaV countdown from the top. So, I guess I keep burning until the apoapsis is about 72 million km... now 21 million and counting. Whoo!

I find VOID's burn time thingy works far better than KSP's.  I also use BetterBurnTime, so maybe it's just that.

8 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

51 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I find VOID's burn time thingy works far better than KSP's.  I also use BetterBurnTime, so maybe it's just that.

I find that @Snark's "Better Burn Time" is totally excellent.  It really needs to be stock.  The best thing is, if you set up a node well in advance then either switch scenes or quit the game, when you go back to that ship this mod will show the correct burn time immediately without you having to bump the throttles and thus mess up the node.

53 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Just now, Geschosskopf said:

I find that @Snark's "Better Burn Time" is totally excellent.  It really needs to be stock.  The best thing is, if you set up a node well in advance then either switch scenes or quit the game, when you go back to that ship this mod will show the correct burn time immediately without you having to bump the throttles and thus mess up the node.

As long as there's no possibility the ship will "softly and suddenly vanish away", I might just try that. :) But this maneuver scarcely needs a node. The solar orbit is big enough that the curvature is essentially flat within a few hours either side of the node--so I just keep thrusting prograde until the altitude matches Jool's, which should be any day now :) 

10 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

I find that @Snark's "Better Burn Time" is totally excellent.

I'll third this.  I almost never say 'that should be stock', but BBT should be stock!

Good to hear things are proceeding well.

Happy Concerned landings!

18 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

As long as there's no possibility the ship will "softly and suddenly vanish away", I might just try that. :) But this maneuver scarcely needs a node. The solar orbit is big enough that the curvature is essentially flat within a few hours either side of the node--so I just keep thrusting prograde until the altitude matches Jool's, which should be any day now :) 

But if that doesn't give you an encounter, then you'll have to do a big mid-course tweak and have a harsher capture burn at Jool.

Speaking of which, given your very low TWR, I'm thinking your Jool Pe will have to be pretty high given how long the burn will take.  Are you aiming for inside or outside of Tylo? :D

19 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

But if that doesn't give you an encounter, then you'll have to do a big mid-course tweak and have a harsher capture burn at Jool.

Speaking of which, given your very low TWR, I'm thinking your Jool Pe will have to be pretty high given how long the burn will take.  Are you aiming for inside or outside of Tylo? :D

I'd imagine that with less fuel, and the Kerbodynes firing, the TWR should be higher.

Edited by Dman979

1 hour ago, Dman979 said:

I'd imagine that with less fuel, and the Kerbodynes firing, the TWR should be higher.

Exactly the plan--that's why I'm suffering a 1hr+ burn now so, I can use the big engines later. Firing the auxiliary engines will more than triple the thrust, and of course we'll be a couple hundred tons lighter than when we lifted off Minmus. If I can fire off a few scansats on the way in that'll help as well...I expect TWR to be 0.3 or better at start of capture burn.

1 minute ago, Kuzzter said:

Exactly the plan--that's why I'm suffering a 1hr+ burn now so, I can use the big engines later. Firing the auxiliary engines will more than triple the thrust, and of course we'll be a couple hundred tons lighter than when we lifted off Minmus. If I can fire off a few scansats on the way in that'll help as well...I expect TWR to be 0.3 or better at start of capture burn.

That's what I use for RSP as a good TWR. Never used that in stock before, though.

8 hours ago, superstrijder15 said:

That still sounds horrible to me.

Oh, it shouldn't be so bad. Certainly what I'm used to for a long-range ship that values high deltaV. Thought experiment: for a ship in the 1000t range, how much (stock) engine would you need to get a more acceptable TWR? I suppose 4x Kerbodyne Rhinos could do it, that'd bring it up to about 0.8, but with less than half the ISP of the nuclear engines. Intrepid has some margin, but not that much--we'd be out of fuel now with nothing left for capture. Sure, a less ambitious ship would do fine with chemical engines and a higher TWR, but that was never what this mission was about, was it? :) 

And, teasing...

jaRiIHK.png

Woo hoo! :D Now I can make the pages. Note the intercept is actually a little ahead of schedule--NImzo estimated we'd reach Jool on Year 9 Day 110, and that periapsis is for 9-64. Of course, nothing's certain until the final correction burn.

Still haven't decided exactly what track to plot on system entry, but I should probably visit Bop or Pol first so we can refuel. Tylo assist would certainly be in order, and fun to execute. Laythe or Jool aerobraking: not so much :) 

52 minutes ago, KAL 9000 said:

And how exactly are there evil<--(SpongeBob Mermaid Man voice) versions of Kerbfleet and its crew on this planet that no Kerbal has ever seen?

That's a really good question. But it contains at least one unwarranted assumption, and I'm not talking about SpongeBob.

Edited by Kuzzter

3 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Thought experiment: for a ship in the 1000t range, how much (stock) engine would you need to get a more acceptable TWR?

My heaviest launch ever is like... 1/4 of that weight on pad, and lagging to 10 fps before I even press the spacebar. So I never had to ask myself this question (Yet). 

4 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Oh, it shouldn't be so bad. Certainly what I'm used to for a long-range ship that values high deltaV. Thought experiment: for a ship in the 1000t range, how much (stock) engine would you need to get a more acceptable TWR? I suppose 4x Kerbodyne Rhinos could do it, that'd bring it up to about 0.8, but with less than half the ISP of the nuclear engines. Intrepid has some margin, but not that much--we'd be out of fuel now with nothing left for capture. Sure, a less ambitious ship would do fine with chemical engines and a higher TWR, but that was never what this mission was about, was it? :) 

A TWR of 0.3 for a large craft is just fine.  The core of Whoopstooshort Base left LKO with a TWR of 0.25.

Still haven't decided exactly what track to plot on system entry, but I should probably visit Bop or Pol first so we can refuel. Tylo assist would certainly be in order, and fun to execute. Laythe or Jool aerobraking: not so much :) 

Well, I think you know which way I'd advise you to go.  And yeah, aerobraking is pretty much not a viable option for Intrepid, I suspect.  :)

That's a really good question. But it contains at least one unwarranted assumption, and I'm not talking about SpongeBob.

For one thing, Kenlie has definitely seen Kerbulus.  But were you hinting at something more?  Hmmm.

Happy Concerned Tinfoil landings!

Just now, Starhawk said:

For one thing, Kenlie has definitely seen Kerbulus.  But were you hinting at something more?  Hmmm.

I think what @KAL 9000 was getting at was "how is it even possible that there exists this parallel world so similar to Kerbin, when no one from either planet knows of the other's existence?" Hopefully, if I ever do give an explanation, the readers will find it plausible. I'm sure it won't be as bad as the multiple alien parallel worlds encountered by the Enterprise, including at least one that duplicated all of Earth's history up to WWIII

10 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

I think what @KAL 9000 was getting at was "how is it even possible that there exists this parallel world so similar to Kerbin, when no one from either planet knows of the other's existence?" Hopefully, if I ever do give an explanation, the readers will find it plausible.

Something makes me think you can handwave and retcon with the best of them.  :D

10 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

I'm sure it won't be as bad as the multiple alien parallel worlds encountered by the Enterprise, including at least one that duplicated all of Earth's history up to WWIII

You certainly can't be less plausible than that!

Happy Concerned landings!