Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 21--Surely she wouldn't do THAT!

Mister Dilsby

2 hours ago, kookoo_gr said:

very nice panel Kuzz, made my day before work, wishful thinking if space madness creeps at some poor Kerbal they should talk with a pirate accent :D

Uhhh...no, please. We had enough piracy, barratry and law drama in "Eve: Order Zero". Althought i'm sure Jeb would love to throw some "Arrrr"s and "Matey"s around - just for the heck of it :D

On 1/5/2016 at 10:21 AM, RocketSquid said:

Not-kozzator: Since "For science!" is no longer relevant, and "For funds!" doesn't work, how about you make "For cheese!" the new kerbfleet catchphrase.

Well, Madness Kerbfleet might have all sorts of catchphrases. But for the non-spacemad, 'For Science!' is still our mighty cheer. Kerbfleet considers science to be more about the experience than the points--after all, the tech tree is full but we are going to Jool. Why? FOR SCIENCE!

20 hours ago, Starhawk said:

And they still had the wherewithal to know what had to be done and do it without any direction from anywhere else.   Even while being mad and spouting gibberish.

Hard-coded, as it should be. Recalling Gene's speech formally introducing the new General Order at the end of E:O0: "I'm required by regulations to read it to you, even though you've all known it in your hearts from the first day you put on a spacesuit."

18 hours ago, Scotius said:

All is forgiven.

Oh good. I felt terrible to have 'disappointed' you. :) 

18 hours ago, FlyingPete said:

Hopefully they are not on their way to destruction. Or they will have no chance to survive. Kuzzter, I hope "You know what you doing" ;)

MUNSTATION ONE: "Flight, Someone set us up the bomb!"

GENE: "What you say !!"

18 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

Darnit! why won't it let me like things twice!

Glad you liked it that much! At least you can like many more things now!

17 hours ago, Deddly said:

It just hit me that most of Jebediah's dialogue in the Kerbfleet comics would fit in just perfectly at any point in these latest pages.

Quite true! I suppose its possible that Jeb is in fact immune to Space Madness. (or, that if he had it no one would notice) This keeps with the default settings of the USI-LS mod, where orangesuits do not suffer any ill effects when they run out of NOMS. 

11 hours ago, Mikki said:

Now we know what happens to abandoned icecream... :0.0:...:D cheeeeeeeeeeeese!

The transmutability of dairy products has fascinated Kerbal scientists for generations.

10 hours ago, kookoo_gr said:

wishful thinking if space madness creeps at some poor Kerbal they should talk with a pirate accent :D

Arrrrrrrrrr... no. 

6 hours ago, Deddly said:

All we need now is the appearance of Wallace Kerman. "No cheeeeese, Gromit Kerman"

Ooh, that'd be a good one: KERBFLEET: A Grand Sol Out 

No comic today, folks--will wrap up the chapter with Quadhammer's brief excursion to solar orbit, return to Minmus for refueling, and return to Kerbin. There will be at least one Interlude after this chapter.

18 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

No comic today, folks--will wrap up the chapter with Quadhammer's brief excursion to solar orbit, return to Minmus for refueling, and return to Kerbin. There will be at least one Interlude after this chapter.

Interlude... that can only mean the Kerbulans are up to no good :D How long has it been since Kenlie Kermulan left for 'The Purple Planet'?

6 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Hard-coded, as it should be. Recalling Gene's speech formally introducing the new General Order at the end of E:O0: "I'm required by regulations to read it to you, even though you've all known it in your hearts from the first day you put on a spacesuit."

And in my universe, the 1st time they put on a spacesuit, they got their 1st whiff of chemical indoctrination.  That's how you hard-code stuff :D

Two today. Let's see if St. Cyril will smile upon my keyboard this time...

JqTdjM8.png

g1uMvlK.png

So yeah I probably could have popped out to solar SOI and gotten a direct intercept for Kerbin for a lot less fuel, but I wanted to save time and get these guys home before the madness REALLY sets in. So we'll have a second stop on Minmus for fuel, and then home again. BTW, I did rearrange the Madness Express to a more thrustable config (pictured below), claw-docked to Minmus Outbound to take on more LF, and got Kurt, Not-Kurt, Cheese Guy and Billy-Bobby safely to LKO.

kqAnJkr.png

Micarooni Station has disabled their controls using the prefix code, just in case they try to land that thing. Will probably send Tedus up in a Gliido to get them later, off-camera :) 

And oh right, @FlyingPete asked about the Kerbulans. Kenlie's probably 50-60 days from the Purple Planet right now, but it's a few hundred days until Kerbin-Jool departure. So your supposition... is plausible. ;) 

Edited by Kuzzter

Thanks Kuzzter!

Poor Lisa and Kenlie.  Melbe is just having a great time, but the two of them are definitely not liking her playful banter.  :)

On the point of kicking in the door.  It sure is beautiful to have more dv than you need.  It gives you so many more options.
After all, every point on a porkchop plot represents a valid trajectory, not just the ones in the tiny blue transfer window.

It sure looks like the Quadhammer has proven itself in trial runs.  And, now that you're talking about an interlude, it would seem that you've decided to let us anticipate the eventual unveiling of the [REDACTED].  I must say you really know how to tease your readers.  Once again, thank you!

Happy Concerned landings!

Edited by Starhawk

1 hour ago, smjjames said:

Did you remember to have them plant flags while on Minmus? Gotta get that xp.

Nope, just landed and ran around a bit. I'd rather suffer the 10% xp penalty than litter (and yes I know I can take the flags down after) :) 

4 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

And, now that you're talking about an interlude, it would seem that you've decided to let us anticipate the eventual unveiling of the [REDACTED].  I must say you really know how to tease your readers. 

There MAY be a picture from the shipyards before end of chapter. A proper tease does require periodic...

A FEW HOURS LATER...

Clauselle: Tanks full! Enseign, you may begin shutdown.
Nizmo: Aye aye, maДam! [Cyrillic now?  What next, ancient greek? ;) -MRS]  Fuel cells to standby.  Retracting drills... converter offline.
*Quadhammer lifts of from Minmus*
Kenlie: Good!  Now let's get out of here before anything else happens!
Sarge: With pleasure, sir!
Melbe: Whoo!  Next stop, solar orbit!
Lisa(?): W..we won't get SPACE MADNESS too, will we?
Melbe: Nope, sure as my name's Melbe!  And also Lisa!
Kenlie: SO not funny, Melbe!  I'm burning for escape-we'll be in solar SOI in a few hours.
Melbe: Hey, y'all got any cheese?
Lisa(?): AAAH!!
Kenlie: Stop that!

New page:
*Quadhammer is outside Kerbin SOI*

Kenlie: Ok, I guess that's far enough...
Lisa: Wow, what a view!
Nizmo: Uhh.. you can get us back, can't you?  I don't see a window for Minmus intercept any time soon...
Kenlie: Well it's like Clauselle said, right?  If you've got enough delta vee..
Kenlie: ...you can just kick in the door!

Don't worry, I'm happy to deal with weird characters!  Thanks to Kuzzter.

6 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

[...]

There MAY be a picture from the shipyards before end of chapter. A proper tease does require periodic...

26 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

...stimulation.

1 minute ago, Sanic said:

Sanic quietly wonders how little Kuzzter can say in a post and still get likes

continuation.

10 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

continuation.

Still, unneeded extra post IMO, he could've just put stimulation on the post with the original system.

This aside, thank you for the clarification :)

Edited by Sanic

That looks brilliant!

You and Bill are doing amazing things, I can see.  Thanks for that gtlimpse.

Did you ever fix that bendiness issue with the Quadhammer btw?

It would be very unpleasant to have that issue suddenly come to the fore during an emergency of some kind.
I can just hear it - "Oh noo!  Sarge, get us out of here, now!" *Z* *Ker-SNAP* "OHHH NOOO!!!".  My imagination is far too dramatic. I guess that's why I keep having...

Happy Concerned landings!

eta: When I was maybe 18 or 19 I actually used to tell a variant of the brick joke. And I always made sure to tell an unrelated joke between the setup joke and the punchline joke.  It works best if the one in between is a bit long.  Kinda like in Eve: Order Zero.

Edited by Starhawk

3 hours ago, Starhawk said:

Did you ever fix that bendiness issue with the Quadhammer btw?

Not yet, but I'm not too worried about it--all it should take is a couple of struts connecting the tanks on either side of the crew section to take the compressive load when the engines fire. If that isn't enough I can throw on a pair of I-beams and tie them together. Also on the list of Quadhammer problems to solve: fuel balance changes as the tanks drain, which you'd think it wouldn't since it's perfect when they're full and the tanks drain symmetrically into the engines from both sides. Wondering if one or more tanks needs to get flipped around to manage it... in any case it's only a few degrees, manageable with RCS. Also, as usual, I forgot to put on an antenna. :)

Skimmeroo might need the tail bobbed to fit in the hangar deck, it's pretty tight. I think i can reduce the profile and still get all the control and lift I need. I'll probably put some small probes and ancillary equipment in the forward part of the hangar deck, and the rest of the landers will go in the cargo bays that make up the hangar deck walls. That will also be the home for living areas, life support, engineering and science sections which I can launch in blocks and assemble to the ship in orbit. 

Have not worked out the [REDACTED]'s main propulsion yet. Nuclear is of course the usual choice for a delta V requirement of this size, but wow I'll need a lot of engines to move that much mass in an acceptable timeframe. Also makes getting the darned thing into orbit more of a challenge. I think chemical engines will be fine if it comes down to it, we'll be able to refuel when we get there. Anyway, one intractable problem at a time :)