Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 21--Surely she wouldn't do THAT!

Mister Dilsby

39 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Um... you may need to catch up a bit :) Kenlie has been up to space and back several times since then, most recently landing just offshore of KSC in the Quadhammer and being recovered (see last page of Chapter 3, earlier in this thread).

The ship in this most recent update is a Gliido 7LR, the two-seater extra fuel variant--single stage to Munar orbit in about 10 hours. :D I believe Kenlie last flew a Gliido (the 7P six-seater variant) in an Eve: Order Zero interlude. Tedus also piloted a 7P near the end of that book.

And now that the thread is all OHMAGERD CROSSOVAHHHHH! I think I can remove the spoiler tag :)

ETA: Or did you mean how long did it take Jeb to get to the Mun? Well, that Jeb has never been to this Mun or anyplace else in the Kerbfleet universe before, so it's really hard to answer. :)  This was his last known position before ending up here.

No, I mean, I thought he was still en route somehow to picking up that second kerbal, or at least the one he thought he'd be picking up.

Wooooaaahhhh!!!!   CROSSOVERS!!!!! Awesome!  Alright, time to get down to work:

INTERLUDE: WAITING IS THE SKY*
*Gliido 7LR on runway with Kenlie in it*
This will be Kenlie's personal log until otherwise indicated:

Personal Log
Junior Looty Kenlie Kerman
Year 6, Day 74

Another day, another kerb stuck in munar orbit to rescue.  Routine.  Grindy.  Boring, or at least it is for everyone else...

Because they haven't gone crazy.

They don't see what I see when the koffee pills don't work anymore and I can't stop myself from dreaming.  Capsules exploding. Kerbs writhing in agony.  Terror.  Death.
Murder.

They don't even know that word.  I can't explain how I know it.  How did I imagine this?  Actually trying to kill someone?  Wanting to do it?  Being proud of doing it?

What's wrong with me?

*Gliido 7LR now in LKO*
*DEDICATED TO 'ZIGGY' -- 1947-2016

New page:

It wasn't so bad when I had Sarge and the others to talk to.  But I know that once I get into space alone again, I won't be able to stop it happening.  I'll see it.  I'll see him.

He's afraid.  More than me, even.  And he's on his way somewhere, I know that much, even though I pinch myself and pop another koffee pill every time I think I'm seeing what he sees.  He doesn't know what he'll find when he gets there.
But I do.

The worst part isn't that I have to watch when he kills.  It's not even that I have to feel what he feels when he does it.  Not joy-relief. Relief because he made someone else more terrified that he is...no, though that's pretty awful.
The worst part?
The worst part is...

...I think he can see me,  too.

New page:

*Kenlie is now approaching the mun*

So I'll intercept this boring, routine, stranded capsule.  I'll try to talk to whoever's in it without mixing up my words and sounding like a doofus.

I'll try not to imagine the missile lock buzzing in my ear-that all I need to do is squeeze the trigger--
--and that maybe after this  one dies, I'll stop being afraid.

*24.4km away from capsule*

New page:

*This is the end of Kenlie's journal*

Kenlie: Hail!  I mean, uh, hi there!  This is Koot- Joot- *ahem* Junior Lootie Kenlie Kerman.  I'm here to rescue you!
Kappa-Jeb:  You're a dude?  Aww, I was hoping it'd be one of those future science chicks!

YOU ASKED FOR IT!  WE DID IT!  KERBFLEET-KAPPA CROSSOVER STARTS NOW!

Kappa-Jeb's italics seem like bold italics, so that's what I used.  Thanks, this time, to bath Kuzzter and Parkaboy!

40 minutes ago, Parkaboy said:

The rescue contract Kenlie got was to pick up a stranded kerbal in munar orbit, and that's what he did! :wink:

Exactly! Plan Kappa-Gene can expect to receive an invoice from Kerbfleet-Mort once we get your Jeb safely home. We accept cash, check or interdimensional wire transfer. And we'll be sure to have Deeman draft a clause so the bill's payable even after your planet explodes. :D 

Just imagine how utterly random and confusing Jebediah's words must have been to an already confused Kenlie who (important to remember) has not read Plan Kappa and knows nothing about inter-dimensional rifts:  "I was hoping you'd be one of those future science chicks!"

If that doesn't send him completely insane, nothing will.

8 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

! Both of us were saddened by this morning's news and are dedicating our crossover to the memory of David Bowie and his music. 

Well, that's a bummer.  Strange to say, I hadn't heard this news until just now but I found myself curiously drawn to something I normally wouldn't have wasted the gasoline on to burn, the William Shatner album "Seeking Major Tom".  And had decided to use a lot of it as theme music in my own thread's episodes.  Coincidence or eerie coincidence?

Wait, isn't the K.S.S Redacted inside the VAB? If so... well... then... uh oh...

But wait, the fact that Jeb was test flying the Jool-Dipper on Kerbin means that the Jool Dipper is going to be Kerbbed! Which means... Kuzzter is going to send someone into Jool....