Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 28--and the answer to Angelo's question is...

Mister Dilsby

The marathon is 42,195 metres long. My guess is you have a new ship called the Marathon, possibly named as such because it's going on an especially long mission. Not sure what mods that would involve. Perhaps outer planets?

15 minutes ago, Deddly said:

The marathon is 42,195 metres long. My guess is you have a new ship called the Marathon, possibly named as such because it's going on an especially long mission. Not sure what mods that would involve. Perhaps outer planets?

Ding ding! Yes, "Marathon" is the working name for that "new class of high-endurance mining cruiser" I've been talking about. Had not thought to install Outer Planets yet, but I could.

I suppose I should kerbalize the name somehow, maybe call it the Dunathon, and make canon that 42.195 km is the exact distance the legendary Phidippides Kerman had to travel by jetpack from near the highest point on Duna to escape the atmosphere and bring science to his captin--dying in the process, of course, when he failed to achieve orbital velocity. But 'KSS Marathon' sounds cooler to me. 'Dunathon' sounds like Mort is doing song-and-dance numbers on TV to raise enough funds for a mission.

Anyways... yeah that's what I'm working on. I don't want to commit the launch until 1.1 is out and mods are stable, because I do need all the life support stuff to work as well as the reactor to power it. I also want to be careful about overlapping the books; I think it worked OK without continuity issues when the end of the Duna book overlapped the beginning of the Eve book, but it could get easy for people to get confused... especially when the mulch impinges the intakes as the Kerbals and Kerbulans inevitably collide.  But there's still a few planets left to explore even without adding Sarnus to the mix, and we will explore them!  

18 minutes ago, RocketSquid said:

So, I can only assume that we'll be seeing Kerbfleet: A Drescursion soon enough, but will we be getting Kerbfleet: The Eeloo Expedition or Kerbfleet: The Moho Mission?

Well, I dunno. All that might happen in one thread. Maybe 'Kerbfleet: Marathon or :B-Team or something like that. But it won't happen until after 1.1 so I have time to think about it a bit.

5 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Well, I dunno. All that might happen in one thread. Maybe 'Kerbfleet: Marathon or :B-Team or something like that. But it won't happen until after 1.1 so I have time to think about it a bit.

Okay. As long as you use "Drescursion" somewhere in there. We haven't had a pun in a kerbfleet title since D,OB

33 minutes ago, astrokerb said:

I just got it! Kerbfleet is Starfleet and the Kerbulans are the Romulans! And Kerbulus is Romulus! I'm a little slow 

Don't forget, the Kerbulans are also the Mirror Universe Teelfbrek. And possibly Klingons. Also, King Hippo from PunchOut!. no not that last one but ooh maybe

1 minute ago, Kuzzter said:

Don't forget, the Kerbulans are also the Mirror Universe Teelfbrek. And possibly Klingons. Also, King Hippo from PunchOut!. no not that last one but ooh maybe

Yes, the Kerbpire.  See what I did there?  :wink:

And moving on... now I know why I waited until the last possible moment to make a ?!!*&@ chessboard in powerpoint.

JBdkt7g.png

MbrEi86.png

QJZIGiz.png

...and let's not think too hard about what the pieces should look like, OK? Busy weekend, and I still have to be the Bunny later. :) 

Glad to hear you're going to be the Bunny!

I got a very good laugh from the Clauselle panel.

Nice Cheks board.  :)

Happy Concerned Nervous Anxious Frightened landings

eta: That's a great shot of Intrepid on the first page.

Edited by Starhawk

7 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

And moving on... now I know why I waited until the last possible moment to make a ?!!*&@ chessboard in powerpoint......

...and let's not think too hard about what the pieces should look like, OK? Busy weekend, and I still have to be the Bunny later. :) 

Nice chessboard however it happened :)  And nice conundrum on the origin of the game.

Anyway, have fun with the eggs.

8 hours ago, Starhawk said:

I got a very good laugh from the Clauselle panel.

So did the kids. Clauselle pretty much always looks terrified unless the ship isn't moving, so I have to go with what she gives me. The pot is, of course, a Le Kreuset.

8 hours ago, insert_name said:

Bet checks came from the kerbulans

Hm. HMMM! DAAA NAAAAAAAAA!

7 hours ago, Scotius said:

Props for nice props :) 

Thank you! I really wanted one of them to play trombone as I do, but the hands just don't line up. Oh well.

7 hours ago, SaturnianBlue said:

I'd love a kerbfleet canon entry on Kerbal instruments. :P 

That could be fun--but really in my head, they're just like ours only smaller. Perhaps Tedus is playing the kornet, and not a trumpet, I dunno.

1 hour ago, Geschosskopf said:

Anyway, have fun with the eggs.

Since we got sick of watching the kids tear the house apart and hope to heck they find everything before it's time for church, I started doing a sequential clue hunt some years ago. They each wake up to find a plastic egg with a note in it that leads it to the next one, etc, and finally to the basket of goodies. My daughter has some riddles and a cipher to solve and a bit of French to read. Kuzz Jr. will have an easier time, but he's going to pay for his Percy Jackson-induced dabbling in Greek with one clue requiring a fair amount of transliteration. At least there's no logarithms this year.

3 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Since we got sick of watching the kids tear the house apart and hope to heck they find everything before it's time for church, I started doing a sequential clue hunt some years ago. They each wake up to find a plastic egg with a note in it that leads it to the next one, etc, and finally to the basket of goodies. My daughter has some riddles and a cipher to solve and a bit of French to read. Kuzz Jr. will have an easier time, but he's going to pay for his Percy Jackson-induced dabbling in Greek with one clue requiring a fair amount of transliteration. At least there's no logarithms this year.

Why couldn't you have been my dad? My dad just... gave me the Easter egg :(

Where's the fun in that? :P

7 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Since we got sick of watching the kids tear the house apart and hope to heck they find everything before it's time for church, I started doing a sequential clue hunt some years ago.....

Egad, that's twisted :)  Around here the main difficulties of the hunts (which are always outside) are poison ivy and venomous snakes so they're more about giving the kids training in maintaining situational awareness than expanding their minds :)

Ooh! I got it!

For the Cheks board pieces, one side is with Spaceplane cockpits, like the Mk2, or either Mk1 or the  Mk3, and the other side is purely rocket/other kinds of cockpits.

On 2016-03-25 at 0:21 PM, Kuzzter said:

Ding ding! Yes, "Marathon" is the working name for that "new class of high-endurance mining cruiser" I've been talking about. Had not thought to install Outer Planets yet, but I could.

I suppose I should kerbalize the name somehow, maybe call it the Dunathon, and make canon that 42.195 km is the exact distance the legendary Phidippides Kerman had to travel by jetpack from near the highest point on Duna to escape the atmosphere and bring science to his captin--dying in the process, of course, when he failed to achieve orbital velocity. But 'KSS Marathon' sounds cooler to me. 'Dunathon' sounds like Mort is doing song-and-dance numbers on TV to raise enough funds for a mission.

Anyways... yeah that's what I'm working on. I don't want to commit the launch until 1.1 is out and mods are stable, because I do need all the life support stuff to work as well as the reactor to power it. I also want to be careful about overlapping the books; I think it worked OK without continuity issues when the end of the Duna book overlapped the beginning of the Eve book, but it could get easy for people to get confused... especially when the mulch impinges the intakes as the Kerbals and Kerbulans inevitably collide.  But there's still a few planets left to explore even without adding Sarnus to the mix, and we will explore them!  

Dres Awareness confirmed?

11kawb.jpg

1 hour ago, Deddly said:

Rumour has it that every time Dres is mentioned in this thread, it goes down one place in @Kuzzter's list of priorities.

I'll not confirm or deny that :) But before you think Kuzz Jr. murdered me with a sharpened piece of dark chocolate for making him transliterate Greek, here' an update of what I've been working on. Not much with Intrepid or the comic, just some routine Gliido missions to return crews from Dwagonfly, Kranefly and the decommissioned Munstation. I left Kranefly 'mothballed' in orbit, it might be useful for shunting things around at some point. The other two craft I de-orbited. 

Also did a quick contract, completing the "Kerbin 3 Challenge" that Qwammer failed at by landing on water instead of land. True to Gene's word we sent a "nice, cheap probe", and here are the mission pics: