Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-END OF CHAPTER 21! (and hopefully not so many talking heads in 22!)

Mister Dilsby

On 5/26/2024 at 1:41 PM, Angelo Kerman said:

"In my cabin is a device that will make you invinci-"

*Valentina shoots the device.*

"Never mind..."

Ha! Just about exactly what I was going for. Having already esta-Bill-eshed that such devices were in common use, I couldn't exactly make that the out for Evil (but with integrity!) Bob.

5 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

You don't have to know how to pronounce those words- nobody else will either, just make it up as you go along :wink:

Oh no, I take a bit more care than that i should hope. I'm sure plenty of people around here can read Russian, and if I got anything wrong I'm sure one of them will tell me.

On 5/25/2024 at 10:40 PM, Starhawk said:

It is deeply satisfying to see 'Evil' Bob coming to talk to Kerbfleet.  It just seems so right somehow.

I felt exactly the same way. I needed someone to help me wrap up this story with ruthless efficiency, and there he was!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mister Dilsby said:

I'm sure plenty of people around here can read Russian, and if I got anything wrong I'm sure one of them will tell me.

I'm no expert but I'm learning. It looks good to me :)

Kerbfleet gets even better when you have a rudimentary understanding of French and Russian :D

Edited by Deddly

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Angelo Kerman said:

So, if the no win scenario is to be stranded on Laythe for decades, how does that prevent others from [Kerbulus] from dueling the Kermans? Is it the One Duel At A Time rule?

@Angelo Kerman, that is a VERY interesting and insightful question! And unless the ISS Despair bridge crew went really deep into the expository weeds back in Chapter 10, pages 18 and 19, there's no way Kenlie or any of the other Kerbals could possibly know the answer.

But I think I might know someone else who does, someone who is right now (grudgingly) enjoying the best koffee of his cruel and violent life.

Edited by Mister Dilsby
In a weak moment, I added the links. You're welcome.

Posted (edited)

WeG8lzF.jpg

4KeLPL6.jpg

l5fUhoB.jpg

Well, with all the exposition and koffee talk dialogue it's actually been a while since I tried to fly anything legit. I guess I've still got it? Though I did lose the starboard small monopropellant tank [ETA: and the docking port] on the Gumdrop in the crash. Ah well. You know what they say in the Air Service. 

The crash itself was a lot of fun, since I had Infinite Fuel hack running (cheaty-cheat cheat!) and I forgot to turn off the Kerbulan fighter's engine before the ship broke apart. So the tail end splashed around for a really, really long time. I was a bit worried it would slam into Dilsby before he could get the Gumdrop out of physics range. Good times!

And RE: that infinite fuel--yeah, the plan was always (like, 8+ years always) to drop Evil Jeb in the ocean somewhere and get Dilsby on an island as far away as possible. I'm pretty sure I could have done that legit, e.g. by dropping Jeb really high up, orbiting, and then making a precisely targeted re-entry so that Dilsby could make his crash landing before running out of gas. But seeing as I want to finish this book sometime soon and in the limited time I have to spend on it, I just flew Dilsby here after the drop-off.

Edited by Mister Dilsby

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Angelo Kerman said:

Plausible deniability: Mr. Dilsby went suborbital, dropped Jeb, the skipped off the atmosphere a ways before careening back down and splashing down. :)

Yes. In-comic, that is exactly what happened.

1 hour ago, Deddly said:

For all we know, Dillsby might have transferred fuel from Intrepid and had plenty of Delta-V for such a flight. 

Or that! (though the fighter did enter atmosphere with a full tank, and I did have to alt-F12 halfway to the island I wanted) 

My general rule in this just-finish-the-comic / cheaty-cheat-cheat era is  that if there is at least one legitimate way I could do a thing without cheating, then it's OK for me to cheat and get it done. I'm willing to cheat more than that if what I'm doing does not affect the main thread of what started out as a  legitJool-5 mission, and if it results in really good comics. Notably, this occurred when I put nacelles on KV-6 in order to achieve Uchū Kūbo Entāpuraizu coolness. Otherwise, it's fundamentally important to me that this story stand as something that could have happened, and mostly did, within the boundaries of KSP 1.x.

Edited by Mister Dilsby
link to previous panel

On 5/28/2024 at 2:07 PM, Angelo Kerman said:

So, if the no win scenario is to be stranded on Laythe for decades, how does that prevent others from Kerbulan from dueling the Kermans? Is it the One Duel At A Time rule?

tZRJkAS.jpg

ZiobaIg.jpg

'Kellycams' - thank you so much for that one.  :)

More drones?  Headed for both KSC and Intrepid??  OH NO!

I must say, it doesn't look good for Kerbfleet at this time.  I sure hope our heroes still have a few tricks up their sleeves.

Fearful landings . . .

18 hours ago, Starhawk said:

'Kellycams' - thank you so much for that one.  :)

It somehow sounds familiar but I don't get it, unfortunately. Can we have a clue? 

I’m pretty sure I used kellycams for Kerbulan units of distance before but I can’t guarantee the spelling. Evil Bob’s dialogue confirms that the Kerbulan kellycam is equivalent to the Kerbal kilometer.

• 3 weeks later...

And never fear True Believers, I have not gone away again, just got very busy. Am laying out the next page or two to close the chapter. You might not see them today but you will see them.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone! This is a gentle reminder that we do actually have a "don't poke the author" rule (See 2.2p). Kerbfleet is awesome, and it's especially exciting that Kuzzter Mister Dilsby is taking us through the final chapters of this excellent story, and we are of course all anxious to see how things work out. But let's remember to be patient and respectful of all our wonderful content creators and not demand updates, even if we're totally joking about it, because the moderators will only have to come in and snip those posts.  :wink:

• 1 month later...

Hastily drawn Powerpoint beards are now LIVE! And thinking about the next pages--not sure if this will go straight to Chapter 22, an Interlude, or some sort of mixed media hybrid. Whichever way I end up going, we will be seeing Bob Kermulan present his case for a bargain to Valentina, and perhaps checking in on a certain pair of crash-landed duellists.