Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 28--and the answer to Angelo's question is...

Mister Dilsby

26 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Nope, just measured it. Tedus is standing on the lip of the aft ramp, and Jeb is on the edge of the forward one:

Distance from Tedus to Jeb measures 53.1m. Seeing as they're not quite at the edges, and seeing as there is still the tail boom behind Tedus, I think we can call the "official" length of Intrepid 55 meters.

I just checked and my big Diamondback is only 26.6m long, so you could put two of them end to end and still have enough room left over for the crew and snacks in between before you get to the size of the Intrepid..... And I'm betting it would almost fit underneath yours as well.... wow!   That is a huge ship!  

25 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Or there's the old "Open it in the VAB/SPH and look at the Engineer's Report," but I guess that isn't accurate enough.
:P

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! In the VAB with the boosters and launch clamps removed it's:

56.5 meters long
15.7 meters wide
15.6 meters high

Part count with nothing docked is 432. Mass of the ship itself (again, no boosters) at launch was 847.8t. Fully fueled, still without landers (and assuming I clicked on all the tanks) it's 400 tons more. So with everything aboard, liftoff mass from Minmus should be something like 1360t.

I think my Lamp Post, when I sent it to Jool, was over 70m long.  But I'll bet I could pack most of it cleanly into the Intrepids' hanger bays.  Only thing that would not fit is the Lamp Post it's self.  You've got one BIG ship Kuzzter.  *thumbs up*  Actually, it might be interesting to see if the Lamp Post would fit inside the Intrepid, or at least if it could be dragged around by your mighty ship. ;)

I have no doubts that the Intrepid would win in a tug of war.  LOL

Edited by Jakalth

2 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! In the VAB with the boosters and launch clamps removed it's:

56.5 meters long
15.7 meters wide
15.6 meters high

Part count with nothing docked is 432. Mass of the ship itself (again, no boosters) at launch was 847.8t. Fully fueled, still without landers (and assuming I clicked on all the tanks) it's 400 tons more. So with everything aboard, liftoff mass from Minmus should be something like 1360t.

No matter how long I've been reading this story, nor how many times various Intrepid stats have been mentioned, I still feel shock and awe at stuff like this.

13 hours ago, KSK said:

Very detailed ones. Made of wing parts. :)

With those little antennas that have such a massive lag problem.

6 hours ago, Dman979 said:

Or there's the old "Open it in the VAB/SPH and look at the Engineer's Report," but I guess that isn't accurate enough.
:P

Now, how about the volume of that sucker?

Well, you just submerge it in Kerbin's oceans, and then measure the sea level rise. 

11 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

For reference, that's about half the height and radius of the Saturn V, and about 45% of the mass.
:0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0:

Well if you're going to compare me to Saturn V, it should be with Intrepid's boosters on. The part that's 56.5 meters long is just the orbital/landing vehicle.

Edited by Kuzzter

1 minute ago, Kuzzter said:

Well if you're going to compare me to Saturn V, it should be with Intrepid's boosters on. The part that's 56.5 meters long is just the orbital/landing vehicle.

Hmmm... 1360t and a heck load of MOAR boosters....

Wow.

12 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

So, what're the measurements?

15 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Don't forget that Intrepid is built to KSP scale, so comparisons to RSS must take that into account/

No they don't, not if you're comparing 1:1 models. The idea is to give a comparison to a real life vehicle.

7 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

No they don't, not if you're comparing 1:1 models. The idea is to give a comparison to a real life vehicle.

And how big are Kerbals compared to people?  Compre the size of the Apollo capsule to the Mk1-2 pod.

11 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

And how big are Kerbals compared to people?  Compre the size of the Apollo capsule to the Mk1-2 pod.

Small, but I'd hate to trip on one--those little dudes are heavy!

So I don't think this is a resolvable argument. Humans are bigger than kerbals, but then again so is Earth to Kerbin. It seems like what @Dman979's after is an answer to the question, "If i encountered Intrepid in real life how big would it be?" while @Geschosskopf may be wondering, "If Intrepid were built for humans, how would it compare to real-world spacecraft?" I can't answer the second question, at least not definitively, but I can definitely answer the first:

HKRLzcm.png

Edited by Kuzzter

15 hours ago, Dman979 said:

For reference, that's about half the height and radius of the Saturn V, and about 45% of the mass.
:0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but wasn't Saturn V something like 110 m tall and 10 m wide (in diameter)? Height and mass comparison is correct, but the radius part seems wrong :P

1 hour ago, Deutherius said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but wasn't Saturn V something like 110 m tall and 10 m wide (in diameter)? Height and mass comparison is correct, but the radius part seems wrong :P

It was, you're right. :blush: I confused the imperial with metric measurements. Don't worry, there's a precedent!

2 hours ago, Dman979 said:

It was, you're right. :blush: I confused the imperial with metric measurements. Don't worry, there's a precedent!

Oh my. I had heard about that, but never read all the details. Thanks for the link!

Finally got things squared away well enough to post a few pages:

PqXwpL1.png

ruDkR9y.png

SovAG6X.png

And before we have a discussion on evaporation in vacuum that rivals the infamous "kerbulan gun recoil problem", let's just make it canon that standard-issue Kerbfleet cocktail glasses are pressurized, and feature a convenient port that interfaces with the EVA suit :) 

I guess happy hour on a six-hour day would be hour five...
 Hours 1 and 6 would be dedicated for sleeping. Hour 2 would be meal time - Kerbals probably only need to eat once per day, so they'd have a brunch. hours 3 and 4 would be working hours. Hour 5 would be the time to meet friends and drink some hydrazine.

Question if you had 3 years, and a launch cool down, why not just launch tons of sstos? Then no cool down, and cheaper because no debris dumped into the ocean.:D Wait oops meant to post this in plan kappa.

Edited by max_creative
Posted in wrong thread.

3 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Here:

I'm going to get back to making the comic now. :) Very slow going trying to get the crew shots I want using the actual ship rather than stunt doubles. 

Is that imperial metric units or international metric units? ;)