Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 28--and the answer to Angelo's question is...

Mister Dilsby

1 hour ago, max_creative said:

"Write me a story, Kenlie." 

Oh great... What do the Kerbulans have planned? 

I think it's pretty clear what the story is implying here: that the kerbulans plan to use the Kenlies' weird connection to keep track of the Intrepid.

1 minute ago, Parkaboy said:

I think it's pretty clear what the story is implying here: that the kerbulans plan to use the Kenlies' weird connection to keep track of the Intrepid.

At the same time, Kuzzter gets to demonstrate how he feels sometimes. Hey Kuzzter! How about a Dresterlude? *BZZZT* "AAAAAAAAH"

1 minute ago, Deddly said:

At the same time, Kuzzter gets to demonstrate how he feels sometimes. Hey Kuzzter! How about a Dresterlude? *BZZZT* "AAAAAAAAH"

And there are no trials in The Empire. Deeman can't help you now...

Lots of great questions! Including,

2 hours ago, Starhawk said:

Will we ever get to see Gene Kermulan's face?

At some point yes... it just takes a lot more work, since every image of Supreme Leader Gene has to be hand-colored from one of Flight Director Gene, and I've only made those two so far :) But it's very, very liberating to be able to finally show a Kerbulan's face 'full frontal'. For obvious dramatic reasons I wanted that to parallel a certain point in the story, which has now occured. But we still haven't seen enough of a female to know whether I went with the Frida Kahlo look or not :) 

2 hours ago, Deddly said:

That means Kenlie likely knows the crew wouldn't believe him if he told them what he knows and has taken the only action he could in order to protect the ship - at considerable cost to himself once he's found out. I do believe that this makes him one SadS beero - er, BadS hero!

Great insight, and bonus points for kenliespeak! Yep, Kenlie's nap did him a world of good. Like he said through Martystu, there's not a whole lot he can do to save his friends if he's "duct-taped to the crazy chair". But you're right, Bill and his team are no dummies, and Kenlie can't help if he's in the brig either. 

Kenlie's story is going to be about DOB and EO0 and a Jool odyssey...

Um, no... I'm pretty sure someone other than Kenlie wrote all those stories, and I'd like to think a reasonable reader wouldn't confuse the styles of those two authors. :) 

20 minutes ago, Parkaboy said:

Ah, there we go! That's correct, of course. Evil Bob might not understand how Kenlie Kermulan can know what he knows (for which he can be forgiven--after all, even @Starhawk hasn't completely figured it out yet :) ) but there are multiple instances of corroboration that have convinced him it's real. Kenlie Kerman of course has the same powers in reverse, but he hasn't told anyone about it directly and in his universe, an intelligence science officer like Lisa will take "no" for an answer.

Ninja'd by two replies while writing this. Let me check...

16 minutes ago, Deddly said:

Oh, was it that obvious? :D 

14 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

And there are no trials in The Empire. Deeman can't help you now...

Nope. Although you may be interested to know that a re-textured Deeman Kerman often stands in as the stunt double for Bob Kermulan when I'm running from a savefile that has no such character. So, make of that what you will :) 

Edited by Kuzzter

Let me reiterate just how exquisite today's update was.

The subtlety and layers, the blurring (erasure?) of boundaries between various realities was very fun.

So it seems clear, then, that Kenlie Kerman doesn't know that he can still be tracked via his counterpart.  I guess the omniscience of the reader comes into play here.  It's much easier for us to see what's going on.  After all, we get to see both sides.  I hope he's not too devastated when he realizes his brave act of sabotage was all for naught.

I'm wondering what Gene Kerman will do now.  I also hope that in his attempts to understand, he doesn't make things worse.  Who knows what actions the Kerbulans might find threatening?  (Any action they don't take themselves, perhaps?)

Happy Concerned Nervous Anxious landings!

5 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

All very good points. Shall we check in with Our Heroes... and Our Villains?

Hehehe, a Tale of 2 Kinlies.  Poor bastids :)

Anyway, it appears that Intrepid can receive but not transmit.  That's at least something.  And they knew where Intrepid was up to just now, and where she's going, so can probably find her with telescopes.  Which means somebody on EVA could perhaps signal home in Korse Kode by waving some sort of mirror.

12 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Hehehe, a Tale of 2 Kinlies.  Poor bastids :)

Anyway, it appears that Intrepid can receive but not transmit.  That's at least something.  And they knew where Intrepid was up to just now, and where she's going, so can probably find her with telescopes.  Which means somebody on EVA could perhaps signal home in Korse Kode by waving some sort of mirror.

Well, this is KSP. Smoke signals using the engines might work better. :cool:

15 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Anyway, it appears that Intrepid can receive but not transmit.  That's at least something.  And they knew where Intrepid was up to just now, and where she's going, so can probably find her with telescopes.  

I'm not sure they'd be able to track her visually. How powerful a telescope would you need to resolve an object about 50 meters long, that far away? And pretty soon Intrepid will be on the wrong side of the sun. We'll see.  

Just now, Deddly said:

...or they can just change the name of the ship, like they did from Eve.

[notification arrives] As @Starhawk has no doubt just told you it's the transponder that gives you the name of the ship :) 

14 minutes ago, RA3236 said:

I took a good three series, but they finally found it.

They found it earlier... they just didn't realize what they'd found until now. 

Okay, so let's lay out what everyone knows.

Kerbin Intrepid general crew Kerbulus Kenlie
The Intrepid may be in trouble We have no transponder, and no way to communicate with Kerbin There is another planet opposite Kerbulus, filled with a race of poor tactical decision-makers who have nuclear weapons. Kerbulus is filled with a race of warlike being that would kill them all and conquer Kerbin at the drop of a hat.
There is another planet opposite Kerbin There is another planet opposite Kerbin The Interpid is not headed to Kerbulus He can learn more about Evil Kenlie's actions via magic link.
There's no way that if there's anyone on said planet, they're hostile There's no way that if there's anyone on said planet, they're hostile Evil Kenlie can learn about Kenlie's actions via magic link.  

So, here's what I think they will do:

Kerbin:
Attempt to regain contact with the Intrepid.

Intrepid general crew:
Attempt to regain contact with Kerbin.
Learn more about Kerbulus.

Kenlie:
Try to use his link to prevent the Kerbulans from killing them.
Try not to look too crazy. 

Kerbulus:
Learn more about Kenlie and the Intrepid via evil Kenlie.
Try to figure out why a vessel would carry heavy nuclear weapons to Jool.
Try to conquer Kerbin.
Decide if destroying the Intrepid would help that (the less Kerbin knows, the better) or hinder it (since they've already told them about it, the Intrepid being destroyed would be very suspicious).

2 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Okay, so let's lay out what everyone knows.

An excellent analysis! I think we'll at least know what all the players are going to do with the information they have before the chapter is done. In any case, we can expect both Kinlies to have a very prominent role.

Does anyone think they will try to re-direct it instead? I mean blowing up nuclear weapons 96 RTG's and a whole lot of LV-N's near your Soi is a really bad idea right?

If you paid as much attention to the story as you do to other peoples' spelling, you might remember that (1) Bill took out the 96 RTGs in favor of a pair of nuclear fission reactors, and (2) the Intrepid is not going to Kerbulus's SOI right away.

Edited by Kuzzter

2 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

If you paid as much attention to the story as you do to other peoples' spelling, you might remember that (1) Bill took out the 96 RTGs in favor of a pair of nuclear fission reactors, and (2) the Intrepid is not going to Kerbulus's SOI right away.

Oh right... But still, a ton of LV-N's and 2 nuclear fission reactors even near your Soi is going to have the entire population in hazmat suits and fallout bunkers for years!