Seaplane to Orbit 1.0.5

Mikki

Hmm, the thing that itches about most of these, and the reason I haven't tried to build one yet, is that most of them get the engines wet - IRL jet engines really don't like getting wet, :P at least not while operating.

@Val, great video for the second page, thank you very much!
The badge plane is truely intriguing in shape...:confused:

@Gojira1000, also great video, the signifacant things are well observable, your entry is on the final approch... if you can`t or won`t post a craftfile you can be relieved from this duty, but you must give somebody a gift in RL which who you don`t like so much, deal? :wink:

@steve_v, i have reliable information that RL common jetengines, ramjetmotors and many other propulsion derivates on planes can swallow enormous amounts of water, snow, hail, rain, dust, seawater, ducks, gooses, swans, locusts, bees, dogs, cats, maybe fish aswell and many other things during operation. I have seen engineers test a (fighter-) jetmotor throwing bucketloads hailgrans in eggsize into the inlet, with mach 0.5. These are quite and resistant constructions, lots of titanium and other exotic metal used on the frontblades.
Common rocketmotors work under water, some gasbubble must be build first in the bell, ignition can be done in any way somehow. Sure, its not good for the construction, but hey:rolleyes:.

On 9.12.2015, 08:13:43, Gojira1000 said:

Okay Mikki, here you go - sorry about the vid quality. Challenge entry - "Ray"

Here you go  Craft

@Gojira1000

Your entry is a viable seaplane, it lacks reasonable handling but you made it nevertheless!
you are on the partyboat... board! I failed loading the craft from your filehoster... but i have seen the kbs and the textfile with my remaining healthy right eye... :rolleyes:, you must know i am not a filepastehero...

AHOY Seaman! The beer floats in the bildge (?)!

Edited by Mikki
AAAARGGHHH typos:D

This is my entry, the Very Pregnant Guppy, aka SSXX-04D. No album, sry, only the real time recording of the flight and the craft file

In this case I flew it with a 4,5 ton closed tank as cargo, so in theory it can carry something of the same tonnage or reach a higher orbit.

Edited by ABalazs

1 hour ago, ABalazs said:

This is my entry, the Very Pregnant Guppy, aka SSXX-04D. No album, sry, only the real time recording of the flight and the craft file

In this case I flew it with a 4,5 ton closed tank as cargo, so in theory it can carry something of the same tonnage or reach a higher orbit.

@ABalazs

Yeah... Ahoy Seaman!

I dl your craft, first i was not able to lift off again from water (not even after 14 min off surfing)..., so i took a closer look into your beautifull Seaplane and removed the payload and some struts (many, i use KJR), and then tryed again and all went well. It went up like a charm, you have matched the challenge parameters with a All-Stock technical marvel, It turns and soars great!

You have made a viable entry with a serious flight!

(I really check all the craftfiles, cheaters beware...:wink:)

A nice pic from your SSXX-04D in orbit, yeah it was dark...:

loi3oEB.png

Your craft can do much more i think, clipping control surfaces are no problem btw.

Greetings Mikki

Edited by Mikki

19 minutes ago, Mikki said:

@ABalazs

Yeah... Ahoy Seaman!

I dl your craft, first i was not able to lift off again from water (not even after 14 min off surfing)..., so i took a closer look into your beautifull Seaplane and removed the payload and some struts (many, i use KJR), and then tryed again and all went well. It went up like a charm, you have matched the challenge parameters with a All-Stock technical marvel, It turns and soars great!

You have made a viable entry with a serious flight!

(I really check all the craftfiles, cheaters beware...:wink:)

A nice pic from your SSXX-04D in orbit, yeah it was dark...:

loi3oEB.png

Your craft can do much more i think, clipping control surfaces are no problem btw.

Greetings Mikki

Thanks for the fast reply. I used KSP 1.05 Silent Patch (version 1.05.1028), that one has different water physics compared to pre-patch 1024. This is a possible cause of your liftoff problems. For me it lifts from the water easily after reaching 61 m/s.

6 minutes ago, ABalazs said:

Thanks for the fast reply. I used KSP 1.05 Silent Patch (version 1.05.1028), that one has different water physics compared to pre-patch 1024. This is a possible cause of your liftoff problems. For me it lifts from the water easily after reaching 61 m/s.

I am up to date, Steam client here :D.

It is because you are more patient while surfing, i tried to pull up at 59m/s allways, did not notice it still accelerates.

Edited by Mikki
tyyypos:D

On 13.12.2015, 14:38:03, Scarecrow said:

Here's my entry.  Extremely tight on fuel, but able to make orbit and return...

Hi there Scarecrow,

you have done a nice Mk2 plane, i assume you have accidently reached orbit and missed to open the complete resource tab, forgot the craftfile, and last but not least forgot having a relaxing swim with your crew.
Since we all now Kerbals like to swim a lot and as often as possible i refuse to give you the badge.

But today i had a not so bad day as usual at work and i give you the badge if you like.
If you can wear it with pride? Sure.

AHOY SEAMAN!

You have made a "ahem"... "cough"... viable entry with watered, but please give a craftfile!?!

Edited by Mikki
reduced size of craftfile:D and spell OMG!

My fault for not reading the rules properly.  I included a shot of the orbit which shows it as 86x88 km.  It was so tight on fuel that I could hardly pick my landing spot, so didn't think anyone else would want to fly it, hence no craft file.  If someone really wants to give it a go, it won't be a problem to upload it to Dropbox.

I just enjoyed the challenge of doing something different.

3 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

...I just enjoyed the challenge of doing something different.

Oh really... :) ... :blush: Your plane has no name. I will call it "   ".

Saw the name, added

Greetings Mikki! Ahoy!

Edited by Mikki
Plane name:D

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, g00bd0g said:

@g00bd0g

... Ahoy Seaman, had a sneak peak to your video, tomorrow i take a closer look and add you to our partyboat partyboard, craftfile would be nice, the resource tab would have been nice when opened... clearly, KER redux shows all the stats but my rule is simple :wink:
(Currently suffering blindness due to excessive cookie consume mixed with hydraz coffee... :confused:)

Edited by Mikki

Wow, how did i miss this challenge until now? 

I think I can modify my constellation VI quite easily for this. It is a SSTM (ISRU equipped), would I get anything special for that?

Also I really don't want to uninstall hyper edit, is it OK if i just include a ton of pictures?

8 hours ago, Bubbadevlin said:

Wow, how did i miss this challenge until now? 

I think I can modify my constellation VI quite easily for this. It is a SSTM (ISRU equipped), would I get anything special for that?

Also I really don't want to uninstall hyper edit, is it OK if i just include a ton of pictures?

@Bubbadevlin:D

Hi there, 12-20 pics in album should be sufficient, you do not have to uninstall mods, if you declare it`s made stock-a-like and post the craftfile for me to check your vessel myself you are good to go! (ISRU makes maybe ultimate entry...)

It is a Party, don`t forget! :wink:

Edited by Mikki

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Val , nice to see that there is still interest in my funny challenge, and yes, your plane is a cool KSP BERIEV SEAPLANE adaption!

Ahoy there!:wink:

I have currently some real hard days at work, ... as mostly. Preparing a trip to Norway with a teammate to make our next incomes... the next couple years.

Alright, here's my S#!++y entry.... barely made it to orbit, but she got there. Unfortunately, after landing I attempted taxiing under power to the shore and lowered the undercarriage at too high a speed, so I couldn't get wet,stranded,or booty.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="1htE5"><a href="//imgur.com/1htE5">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Kerbal X page

Okay, that embed didn't work. Let's try again.

imgur album

On 18.1.2016 at 7:36 PM, MARINEav8r said:

Alright, here's my S#!++y entry.... barely made it to orbit, ...

Hi there @MARINEav8r

You entry is still in revision, expect it to be classified as a viable Seaplane in the Seaplane to Orbit Challenge!
I see you`re allready a naval aviator..., well then, AHOY SEAMAN!

Edited by Mikki
still in revision

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.