The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

4 hours ago, Just Jim said:

This may be one of the options our heroes have to consider...

But what kind of insane dV does it take to eject a 4,000 ton magic-asteroid from the Kerbol system, especially with OPM installed?

Call Hazard-ish. He'll put it on a crazy sequence of gravity assists, and it'll be in the Deep Black for the price of one Eve encounter.

6 hours ago, max_creative said:

Actually, how about we just throw Emiko Station out of the system? Then blow up the aliens? 

18 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Call Hazard-ish. He'll put it on a crazy sequence of gravity assists, and it'll be in the Deep Black for the price of one Eve encounter.

As I see it, there are two problems with just ejecting it from the system.

First, if someone or something did, in fact, sent it to Kerbol system on purpose, then what's to stop them from just doing it all over again?

Second, and much, much more dangerous... if you mess with Emiko Station, you seriously risk incurring the wrath of Piper Kerman...  :0.0:

Well that was two days well-spent! Fun reading, and just in time for the climax. clap.gif

As for Emiko (asteroid) being the focal point of a portal... well, thing about portals is, they go both ways. Thomp-brainy has the tech and know-how to build his own wormhole-generating "negative gravioli" device already. I can only imagine what would happen if some enterprising ex-Kerbal decided to turn Red Boulder's door inside out on it. I imagine if rocks had faces, it would be making roughly the same expression as the docking-control alien from ID4.

If I may offer one point of critique, Just Jim? You've woven a lot of plot threads together here, but they're a little tangled up and hard to keep straight - Kerbals, Green Boulder, Red Boulder, Saucers, Monoliths, Arches / Floating Rocks, Space-thulhus (are they Krakens or something else?)... The last couple chapters did well to clear up some of the confusion, but I feel like I need a graph or an org-chart to really explain what's what, who's who, and which side of the "Destroy Kerbin" line they all end up.

Finally, my highest praise for the evolution of Thompberry as a character, from mad scientist / jealous rival to supervillain to (mostly?!) reformed... it's natural, believable, and a true hallmark of some fantastic writing. Very well done! mustache.gif

5 hours ago, Kieve said:

Well that was two days well-spent! Fun reading, and just in time for the climax. clap.gif

As for Emiko (asteroid) being the focal point of a portal... well, thing about portals is, they go both ways. Thomp-brainy has the tech and know-how to build his own wormhole-generating "negative gravioli" device already. I can only imagine what would happen if some enterprising ex-Kerbal decided to turn Red Boulder's door inside out on it. I imagine if rocks had faces, it would be making roughly the same expression as the docking-control alien from ID4.

Thank You! 

I agree with the portals, they can go both ways, and I'll try to explain a little more about how they work in the next couple chapters.

5 hours ago, Kieve said:

If I may offer one point of critique, Just Jim? You've woven a lot of plot threads together here, but they're a little tangled up and hard to keep straight - Kerbals, Green Boulder, Red Boulder, Saucers, Monoliths, Arches / Floating Rocks, Space-thulhus (are they Krakens or something else?)... The last couple chapters did well to clear up some of the confusion, but I feel like I need a graph or an org-chart to really explain what's what, who's who, and which side of the "Destroy Kerbin" line they all end up.

I agree, it's gotten a little too complicated, and part of that is my fault for changing things on the fly, so to speak. For example, I had no plans on using magic boulders until the DEV's added them into the game. But as soon as I heard, I knew I had to have them in Emiko. 

What I've been doing the last couple chapters is try to reign most of the sub plots back in and make the rest a little less complicated.

And the Space-thulhus (hehe... good name) are Krakens, yes.  The thing is, there are several readers, including myself, who are also Lovecraft fans. And some immediately noticed similarities between KSP krakens and Lovecraft's Cthulhuoids.... and I may have encouraged it just a little... lol... :wink:

5 hours ago, Kieve said:

Finally, my highest praise for the evolution of Thompberry as a character, from mad scientist / jealous rival to supervillain to (mostly?!) reformed... it's natural, believable, and a true hallmark of some fantastic writing. Very well done! mustache.gif

Thank you so much!  I've worked really hard trying to make a supervillain brain-in-a-pod seem believable.  :D

On 23-8-2016 at 3:18 AM, Just Jim said:

First, if someone or something did, in fact, sent it to Kerbol system on purpose, then what's to stop them from just doing it all over again?

Second, and much, much more dangerous... if you mess with Emiko Station, you seriously risk incurring the wrath of Piper Kerman...  :0.0:

And Third: these ways will all take long, what if the potal is activated while the asteroid is coasting to an encounter

Also you could try dropping it into the sun, possibly while first raising the apoapsis, as that can make it easier.

Hey everyone, I'm running behind again, sorry. Three reasons why:

1) After talking it over with someone on here I really respect a lot, I decided to re-write the next chapter.

2) Unfortunately there's a depression in the Atlantic that will most likely turn tropical storm, and the spaghetti models have it headed right this way. Not a huge deal, we're overdue actually. But typically these storms can knock the power out for a day or three, which means no computer... plus the typical afternoon T-storms keep getting in my way.

3) I've been doing a lot, and I mean a lot, of work behind the scenes setting up what happened to Emiko, and where she went. Until 2 days ago I had some serious Windows 10 compatibility glitches to contend with, but thanks to some online help, these have finally been cleared up.

And because I've already talked about it on here, and anyone who's kept up with the comments should have already guessed by now, I suppose it's OK to share with all of you a really, really big teaser-spoiler.

Oh, if you quote this... snip out the picture, please!!!

Spoiler

Behold: a Kerbin/Human hybrid. It's not quite the final version..... but she's getting there!

s2mekCk.png

Edited by Just Jim

14 minutes ago, The solid fuel chemist said:

But wouldn't she be  like 3 feet tall though ? Kerbals are only one tenth the size of a human.

Would depend on which genes were dominant. At 3 feet tall, Kerbals would be about half the height of an average human. A hybrid could check in along a whole spectrum of heights. 

@Just Jim Hah! That is brilliant. goodjob.gif I'd tip my hat to you, if I wore one.

Please tell me she has the "Adventurer Career" lifetime want? Though I guess that's more Kuzz's line of work - always thought it was pretty silly that "Space Pirate" was just like any other 9-5 job.

1 hour ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Maybe the question of "Why do Kerbals wear suits all time time?" will be solved?

Ok, I'm not sure I like you reading my mind like this. :D

Next chapter I'll give you the answer.  

Edited by Just Jim

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.