The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

1 hour ago, Draconiator said:

Anywayyyyyy....great chapter as usual!  I got misty at the anniversary part.  and I kind of am running behind on my story, too busy in RL...

Hehehe, I wondered if anyone was going to say anything about her melting! How could I NOT include that line???  :sticktongue:

As for the anniversary, it really is 10 years in the game from their wedding, almost to the day, so I thought that would be a sweet touch. I wasn't sure if anyone was interested in the romance parts, but if you got misty, then I'm happy... lol... ;.;

As for RL getting in the way, take your time and do what you have to do. We all understand when that happens. :wink:

Hey everyone, I wonder if I could get a little feedback on something.

The last 10 chapters or so have been really, really long, especially chapter 60, which has nearly 7,700 words. Before that they average about 2,000-3,000 words, and some early ones much shorter. But after chapter 55 they jumped to averaging well over 4,000 words each, except for the last couple that I chopped in half.

So I'm wondering how y'all feel about this. I don't mind writing longer, more involved chapters, in fact I like it.
But how do all of you feel about reading the longer chapters?  Are we still good?  Or should I shorten them back down?

Edited by Just Jim

15 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Hey everyone, I wonder if I could get a little feedback on something.

The last 10 chapters or so have been really, really long, especially chapter 60, which has nearly 7,700 words. Before that they average about 2,000-3,000 words, and some early ones much shorter. But after chapter 55 they jumped to averaging well over 4,000 words each, except for the last couple that I chopped in half.

So I'm wondering how y'all feel about this. I don't mind writing longer, more involved chapters, in fact I like it.
But how do all of you feel about reading the longer chapters?  Are we still good?  Or should I shorten them back down?

I like having a long chapter. It gives plenty to read, and adds to the enjoyment.

Longer chapters, less cliffhangers. I'm cool with it. Just keep doing this amazing thing you do. :)

(pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls don't kill Emiko or Werner. I can live with a near death experience but killing off one of those characters is too much for me.) ;.;

Edited by The solid fuel chemist

6 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I like chapters as long or as short as seems appropriate for the chunk of plot you wish to deliver to us at one time. Trying to stuff a long chapter into a short word count or stretching a short chapter into a long count seems injurious to the quality of the writing.

6 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

I like chapters as long or as short as seems appropriate for the chunk of plot you wish to deliver to us at one time. Trying to stuff a long chapter into a short word count or stretching a short chapter into a long count seems injurious to the quality of the writing.

No, I would never try to make a chapter fit a particular size requirement... I think that's a good way to put it. It's just a case of whether I look for a good place to stop somewhere around 2000-3000 words or 5000-6000 words. 

8 hours ago, The solid fuel chemist said:

Longer chapters, less cliffhangers. I'm cool with it. Just keep doing this amazing thing you do. :)

I swear that last cliffhanger was unplanned. My original idea was to end it at Emiko screaming she knows where Kansas is. But then that bug hit and the ship overheated and exploded, and I decided it was just too spectacular to turn down.

Also, whether he was responsible or not, and I'm not saying which it is at this point, I thought to myself the explosion could add some more serious distrust and tension between Piper and Thompberry.

Edited by Just Jim

Well, I finally had time to catch up with these two fantastic (but LOOOONG) chapters. My feedback is that they do need to be a bit shorter--it took me this long to (1) be in a place where all the pictures would load in a reasonable time, and (2) be able to sit in that place long enough to read them.

But anyways, WOW--love the space telescope and might have to have Kerbfleet "research" that technology. The craft for the missions are outstanding as always, and the tie-in to things Earthly was handled extremely well and naturally. Looking forward to the next!

I like the long chapters, but I really like all chapters, I would however advise putting them in a spoiler: If the pictures load that makes it hard to read the post below as I constantly have to scroll as another picture loads, so I first have to wait a few mins till the pictures are back at rest

OK, I'm going to think about this. But for now the next chapter or two will be a little shorter anyway, just by their nature. However, if I start adding things and they get too long, I'll do like the last couple and split them in half or something, then post them back to back. Happy medium.

Also... and he may hate me for this, but I don't care... :sticktongue:

I have to give a huge shout out of thanks to @adsii1970. I talk to him a couple other authors privately about our stories, throwing ideas back and forth, and making sure we don't cross over, at least too badly, unless we really mean to, and stuff like that. @Geschosskopf is another one I should really thank again as well, not just for letting me borrow his character Sanny the ghost (whom you've already met, and will meet again) but also for taking a lot of time privately to describe her character, personality, and somewhat quirky traits to me in great detail, and helping me to hopefully be true to her... unique... character.  :confused:

So anyway, @adsii1970 is sworn to absolute secrecy, and knows some of what's down the road. Not all, not by a long shot... I don't want to ruin it for him. But enough to ask me this morning what at first seemed like an innocent enough question about Emiko's upcoming backstory. But as I sat and rolled it around in my head, what he asked lead to another question, then another... then some really interesting possibilities began to form and eventually snowball into a massively brilliant new plot twist. Something I hadn't really considered, but should have been so glaringly obvious all along, I'm a little embarrassed I hadn't thought of it myself.

I don't think he will be able to predict in 1000 years just how far I'm taking what he asked, and I'm sorry I can't tell y'all more either, but the rest of the story just got a lot, lot, lot more fun for me to write, and hopefully a lot more interesting for all of you, because of @adsii1970's innocent question.

Thanks!!!  :D

Edited by Just Jim

On 9/7/2016 at 0:28 AM, Just Jim said:

What @0111narwhalz said. As your story progresses and becomes more and more complex, it seems natural that the chapters should grow longer. This is art: creativity should come first and practical considerations (such as the bandwidth of your readers) should take a (close) second place, within reasonable limits of course. If people really want to read your story, they will wait until the pictures load. :wink:

I'm not sure putting pictures in spoiler tags would help: if I understand correctly, everything on a page loads whether it's within spoiler tags or not.

Put simply, as a reader attempting to follow several very different reports/stories on the forums, I prefer to read a substantial, well-written update every week or so than many, short additions to the story.

8 hours ago, The solid fuel chemist said:

Wait, I got a like on the last one...................................

am I getting warm?  :)

No, sorry. but you gave me a good laugh at the thought of V'ger suddenly pulling into Kerbin orbit.

So hey everyone. I got a lot of stuff done behind the scenes yesterday, and I'm going to be doing a little creative green-screening today. Hopefully this will look right.

Plus I'm running a little behind because BBC America is showing a Trek TOS marathon, and, well... what can I say???  :rolleyes:

Edited by Just Jim

6 hours ago, Just Jim said:

No, sorry. but you gave me a good laugh at the thought of V'ger suddenly pulling into Kerbin orbit.

So hey everyone. I got a lot of stuff done behind the scenes yesterday, and I'm going to be doing a little creative green-screening today. Hopefully this will look right.

Plus I'm running a little behind because BBC America is showing a Trek TOS marathon, and, well... what can I say???  :rolleyes:

Krakens! I guess that was just the Oregonian treasure hunter in my blood :)

7 hours ago, Garrett Kramme said:

Also

I LOVE IT!

When's the next one?

Thanks!  I was hoping to have it ready tomorrow, but Photoshop didn't cooperate too well today. So more likely Monday.

I'm also setting up everything for the rest of Emiko's backstory. I've got a huge amount done, but there's a lot still to do. The biggest thing is I want to write more than just "Emiko did this and Emiko did that," etc, etc... This next and final installment of Emiko's backstory will be an adventure in itself, and I don't mind letting this teaser out: I'm leaning very heavily towards writing it in the style of an old, classic Scooby Doo mystery.... more or less.  :)

Here's a huge hint of things to come:

Spoiler

"How.... how am I suppose to get back home???"

B3tpDKd.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.