Devnote Tuesday: 100,000 likes

SQUAD

3 hours ago, r4pt0r said:

Wow squad has done a great job of keeping that new planet and it's moons under wraps :wink:

I thought I heard the EVA animations (repairing and surface sample collection) were finally being implemented, any official word on that?

OPM mod as stock ?  who'd have thought.
I wish...

I love the new gear-system, but I think there's a small oversight going on.

I used to use the large landing gear as main gear, and the medium one for nose-gear on large planes.

Now, we would be unable to use the large landing gear combined with a steerable nose-wheel, because they'll be too short when the main gear would be placed on the more or less 'default' wing position, and the nose-wheel under the nose. Leaving only a second bogey-style gear as an option, which isn't steerable.

In my opinion, the above needs a small addition: small steerable, medium steerable, large steerable (1A), large bogey (2A), huge bogey (3A). with 'large steerable' basically being the same as the 2-axle bogey, but only with a single axle and the option of being steerable. I took the liberty to butcher the example gif into an example image of my own:

3BQsVPz.jpg

That would really be the ideal gear setup in my humble opinion; as a non-single axle nose gear just looks silly, and would still leave us without steering. Not saying I dislike anything about the proposed setup, and the new gear would definitely fill in a much needed gap; but I feel like would introduce a new gap.

Also, because this post seems a little ungrateful, and that was definitely NOT what I was aiming for: awesome things up in the works guys. I love how you manage to get us enthusiastic for 1.2 before 1.1 is even out :D Enjoy your hollidays!

Edited by Merandix

11 hours ago, KingMonkeyNuts said:

Will the new landing gear be steerable? And will they have landing lights? I can see that the current (1.05) medium and large landing gear both have lights on the parts, but they don't seem to seem to do anything.

11 hours ago, Dman979 said:

So... I'm happy to hear that the QA is going well. But is anyone else annoyed by the lack of steerable landing gear? There are no large/medium steerable gear, and it doesn't look like we'll be getting them any time soon.

Other than that, I'm really looking forward to this!

10 hours ago, Destroyer713 said:

Add me to the list of people who want to know if the landing gear will have lights and/or be steerable.

Yes, the small and medium gear will be steerable.

10 hours ago, LaytheDragon said:

Is Dr. Turkey trying to strike a deal with Elon Musk like the deal with NASA that gave KSP 3.75 meter "NASA parts"?

The new 6-wheeled landing gear looks very useful, and it's good that the bigger one-wheeled landing gear will finally not be huge, too.

I suggested we traded a copy of KSP for every Tesla employee for a Tesla (preferably Model X) for every KSP employee. #FingersCrossed!

10 hours ago, r_rolo1 said:

So, 1.2 is confirmed? ;)

Good to hear about the fairings as struts feature. It will surely cut my part counts :D And props to the QA team for finding those nasty bugs before us :P

1.2 has been confirmed for quite some time. The fact that KSP made it this far is without a doubt the result of immense community support, word-of-mouth advertising and so on. We're taking development as far as it'll let us, because you guys deserve to be rewarded for the support you've given us over the last four-and-a-half years!

10 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

Squad have you looked into extending the load range so we can replicate SpaceX properly? ( properly. Not boost to 80+km on a ridiculously steep trajectory )

If I recall correctly (but anyone feel free to correct me on this) vessels flying in-atmosphere will be simulated up to 27.5 kilometers away, which should give you plenty of time to replicate SpaceX, in fact I believe the Falcon 9 stage decoupled at around 80 kilometers. I've done similar missions in KSP recently, the trick is to go to the second stage and increase your orbit far enough so that you have time to land the first stage without the second stage moving beyond its apoaps. Landing a rocket stage is tricky, but doable.

Nice to see the old landing gear getting a much needed rework. Too bad their length won't be adjustable though. That would make many spaceplanes look better without the additional weight of not-so-needed 6-wheeled gear suppoerting the nose of the plane.

Oh, THANK YOU!!!!  I am really looking forward to the new wheels!

Just look at this plane!  She's beautiful, but the medium wheels she has now are obviously too big, and the small ones are just too small. 
But the new size wheels look to be about perfect!  My jet thanks you from the bottom of it's fuel tanks!

0b3eiAG.jpg

Very nice devnotes! It is amazing to hear 1.1 is finally in QA! The redesigned landing gears are very welcome too.

16 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Because the colliders attached to rigidbodies couldn’t be concave anymore the fairings needed some tweaking to get them to behave as expected again.

Quick question: If I understand what this means correctly, will the Structural Fuselage still be hollow? I have some craft that use that feature and it would be nice to know in advance if it won't be hollow/concave anymore.

6 hours ago, NoMrBond said:

Some big [DONKEY] Falcon-9 style landing legs? A landing barge as a KSC upgrade? 7 crew Dragon2 alike Capsule? Grin fins?

I would really like this. Along with bigger landing legs, grid fins, and maybe an increased atmospheric physics bubble, a 3.75 to 2.5m Dragon-style capsule would be nice. It could even include an abort system/landing thrusters. :)

Also, great job on those new landing gear! The current small gear felt out of place with its old model and color scheme, I'm glad to see it's getting updated.

Edited by Rthsom

5 hours ago, Capt Snuggler said:

great work all!

Love the new landing gear. will they be shock absorbing and height adjustable?

the current implementation is a little stiff.

Chock absorbers are for pilots who can't endure the pain of a rough landing or engineers scared of using a lot of struts :P.  

Edited by goldenpeach

5 hours ago, KasperVld said:

If I recall correctly (but anyone feel free to correct me on this) vessels flying in-atmosphere will be simulated up to 27.5 kilometers away, which should give you plenty of time to replicate SpaceX, in fact I believe the Falcon 9 stage decoupled at around 80 kilometers. I've done similar missions in KSP recently, the trick is to go to the second stage and increase your orbit far enough so that you have time to land the first stage without the second stage moving beyond its apoaps. Landing a rocket stage is tricky, but doable.

My #2 craft here http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/128419-spacek-1/ will let anyone try the SpaceX experience, either by taking the whole craft to orbit or taking the booster on a suborbital path and the capsule to orbit.  

3 hours ago, Bloody_looser said:

So bigger ones will be as useless, as they're currently.

They are definitely useful, IF you build LARGE Mk3 spaceplanes, or for large amphibious ships or submarines (there must be more examples, too). It appears they are not-so-useful for your tastes, but that's what easy moddability is for. You or someone else alike will be able to mod steering for those who want it.

And I'm sure you'll be grateful for the steering of the medium gear.

5 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

Got really excited for non-confetti fairings.  I am sad now.

I don't get this, either.

When they first mentioned including fairings in the game, they said they'd be very customizeable and stuff. Ever since then we ask for them to not be confetti, and if a certain mod is any indication of that it's just a couple lines of code.

It's like they intentionaly leave it the way we don't want it? Sure, there are people that like confetti, maybe even more than half. But what happened to "easily customizable", and, you know, having an option?

That said, thanks for the fairing struts! I wanted those badly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.