[1.1][1.1-1] Apr-19-2016 Dynamic Texture Loader

rbray89

27 minutes ago, CaribouGone said:

Thanks, somnambulist!

2 more dumb questions:

this works on terrain/cloud textures too? not just parts?

and, how do i see how much GPU memory i have and how much is being used?

Parts only. They are the only thing that is "predictable" enough to do reliably with decent performance.

gpuZ is a good application to use.

7 minutes ago, Raven. said:

Will this work with KSP 1.0.4? Or is simple enough that I can recompile it to work with 1.0.4? I haven't yet migrated my save games over to 1.0.5 yet (I'm a slow adopter).

Pretty simple to compile, but I have no idea if it will work by default in 1.0.4.

36 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

Then it probably needs to be re-compiled.

Once I have time tonight I'll try to re-compile it and see what it does. In all reality, I really need to bite the bullet and migrate to 1.0.5.

Ok.  I just ran a bunch of tests, here are the results.  My conclusion is that the mod does appear to be saving some memory, but not enough for it to be worth it for me.  And OpenGL saves more memory than this mod does.

This is on Windows 10, system has 32 gig of memory, video board has 2 gig of memory.  KSP 1.0.5, with somewhere between 166 and 170 mods installed, some of them are graphics heavy

In the table below, "Standard Startup" means that I'm just double-clicking on the KSP icon, OpenGL means that I'm running a small batch file which starts KSP in OpenGL mode:

With Dynamic Texture Loader   Standard (without DynamicTextureLoader)

Standard Startup         Standard Startup      

GCMonitor Task Manager Video Card     GCMonitor Task Manager Video Card

Initial Menu 3386Mb 2994Mb 664Mb   Initial Menu 3831Mb 3538Mb 909Mb
Space Center 3713Mb 3331Mb 762Mb   Space Center Crash
VAB 3906Mb 3519Mb 780Mb   VAB      
Loaded small ship Crash   Loaded small ship      

OpenGL     Video card memory maxed   OpenGL     Video card memory maxed

Initial Menu 2270Mb 2019Mb     Initial Menu 2270Mb 2324Mb  
Space Center 2559Mb 2220Mb     Space Center 2559Mb 2313Mb  
VAB 2705Mb 2352Mb     VAB 2725Mb 2370Mb  
Loaded small ship 2864Mb 2501Mb     Loaded small ship 270Mb 2390Mb  
Launch to orbit 2930Mb 2592Mb     Launch to orbit 2901Mb 2549mb  
Edited by linuxgurugamer

5 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok.  I just ran a bunch of tests, here are the results.  My conclusion is that the mod does appear to be saving some memory, but not enough for it to be worth it for me.  And OpenGL saves more memory than this mod does.

In the table below, "Standard Startup" means that I'm just double-clicking on the KSP icon, OpenGL means that I'm running a small batch file which starts KSP in OpenGL mode:

With Dynamic Texture Loader   Standard (without DynamicTextureLoader)

Standard Startup         Standard Startup      

GCMonitor Task Manager Video Card     GCMonitor Task Manager Video Card

Initial Menu 3386Mb 2994Mb 664Mb   Initial Menu 3831Mb 3538Mb 909Mb
Space Center 3713Mb 3331Mb 762Mb   Space Center Crash
VAB 3906Mb 3519Mb 780Mb   VAB      
Loaded small ship Crash   Loaded small ship      

OpenGL     Video card memory maxed   OpenGL     Video card memory maxed

Initial Menu 2270Mb 2019Mb     Initial Menu 2270Mb 2324Mb  
Space Center 2559Mb 2220Mb     Space Center 2559Mb 2313Mb  
VAB 2705Mb 2352Mb     VAB 2725Mb 2370Mb  
Loaded small ship 2864Mb 2501Mb     Loaded small ship 270Mb 2390Mb  
Launch to orbit 2930Mb 2592Mb     Launch to orbit 2901Mb 2549mb  

Hmmm... The graphics is maxed on OpenGL, yet the system memory usage is virtually unchanged? I'm wondering if you are using shared system/graphics memory? in spillover? In which case you probably won't notice it in the KSP memory usage.

Speaking of spillover, the text goes off the page on the zoom level that I'm using. If I go up one zoom level it's fine though.

Also, from that data, it looks like it actually does a little better without Dynamic Texture Loader when OpenGL is forced. I use the -force-opengl line as well and I didn't notice much of an improvement with DTL on, not enough to be worth dealing with the lag times.

@linuxgurugamer How big is your modlist? Maybe I can do some analysis of my own so that we have more than one datapoint to compare. Also, how do I view the video card number?

Edited by smjjames

you mentioned that opengl and dx11 both write to video ram first, then spillover to system ram, whereas dx9 caches in system ram first. in theory, does this mean i should be using -force-dx9 for best results (or the default settings, in other words)? i have 3gb of vram (gtx 780ti) and 8gb of system ram (although obviously ksp32 can only address the first 4gb).

secondly, does the kopernicus planetary texture unloader also reduce the texture load of the stock kerbal system (assuming i don't add any new planets)?

Edited by speedwaystar

14 minutes ago, speedwaystar said:

you mentioned that opengl and dx11 both write to video ram first, then spillover to system ram, whereas dx9 caches in system ram first. in theory, does this mean i should be using -force-dx9 for best results (or the default settings, in other words)? i have 3gb of vram (gtx 780ti) and 8gb of system ram (although obviously ksp32 can only address the first 4gb).

Personally, I recommend DX11 if your system can use it, then dx9 then OpenGL.

57 minutes ago, smjjames said:

@rbray89 @linuxgurugamer How do I find the video card memory usage like that in the table above?

I use GPU-Z

1 hour ago, smjjames said:

Speaking of spillover, the text goes off the page on the zoom level that I'm using. If I go up one zoom level it's fine though.

Also, from that data, it looks like it actually does a little better without Dynamic Texture Loader when OpenGL is forced. I use the -force-opengl line as well and I didn't notice much of an improvement with DTL on, not enough to be worth dealing with the lag times.

@linuxgurugamer How big is your modlist? Maybe I can do some analysis of my own so that we have more than one datapoint to compare. Also, how do I view the video card number?

I have between 166 and 170 mods installed (166 via CKAN, and one or two by hand)

Use GPU-Z for the video card info

1 hour ago, rbray89 said:

My guess is that there is a mod preventing DTL from working properly. 

yes, but which one, and how can I figure it out without deleting 166 mods one at a time?

1 hour ago, smjjames said:

To force dx11, you just do -force-dx11, right? And I think I'll make my own spreadsheet too actually.

yep.

-force-opengl, -force-dx9, -force-dx11

edit: -force-opengl, -force-d3d9, -force-d3d11

also, -popupwindow is useful to force borderless backdrop mode.

Edited by speedwaystar