Pale Red *Dots* ESO | Proxima b confirmed UPDATE 2017 PaleRedDots!!

Spaceception

I just look at how weird and wonderful the universe is turning out to be, and I don't want to even try and predict what we'll find if and when we get there.
Just look at Pluto.  When I was a kid everyone thought it was a boring snowball... yawn.
Turned out to be anything but!  Now I wish they had gotten New Horizon into orbit so it could have look around some more.

My point is every time we try and predict something about the universe, the universe turns around and says,
"Surprise!"  :sticktongue:

Edited by Just Jim

Here's a cool website section about habitable exoplanets: http://www.solstation.com/planets/earths.htm

And a article about favoring "Tidally locked" exoplanets (Which is what we'd probably find on a potential planet in the HZ around Proxima): http://nautil.us/blog/forget-earth_likewell-first-find-aliens-on-eyeball-planets

9 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I just look at how weird and wonderful the universe is turning out to be, and I don't want to even try and predict what we'll find if and when we get there.
Just look at Pluto.  When I was a kid everyone thought it was a boring snowball... yawn.
Turned out to be anything but!  Now I wish they had gotten New Horizon into orbit so it could have look around some more.

My point is every time we try and predict something about the universe, the universe turns around and says,
"Surprise!"  :sticktongue:

I'm alright with surprises... As long as it's a good one.

Edited by Spaceception

27 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

On October 12th 1915, an Astronomer by the name of Robert Innes found Proxima Centauri, a little over a century later, we're looking to see if there's a Habitable Exoplanet.

http://earthsky.org/space/this-date-in-science-discovery-of-proxima-centauri

Which, just by itself, is really, really cool!!!   We live in an amazing time for space exploration!

We'll find planets, sure. But "habitable" to me means you can take off your space helmet, take a deep breath, and not die from anything. I doubt we'll have the technology to determine whether or not a planet is actually habitable without actually going there anytime soon. 

That said, finding exoplanets that are earthlike, meaning they have properties similar to Earth's like being in their star's habitable zone, is feasible in the near future. And that is really cool.

On 1/17/2016 at 9:49 AM, cubinator said:

We'll find planets, sure. But "habitable" to me means you can take off your space helmet, take a deep breath, and not die from anything. I doubt we'll have the technology to determine whether or not a planet is actually habitable without actually going there anytime soon. 

That said, finding exoplanets that are earthlike, meaning they have properties similar to Earth's like being in their star's habitable zone, is feasible in the near future. And that is really cool.

I put "Potentially Habitable" on some of my first posts, but I just started doing "Habitable" 'cause I thought people got the memo that I didn't mean 100% Habitable:/ Otherwise, I agree, finding "Habitable" Exoplanets is probably the coolest thing in Astronomy right now

Edited by Spaceception

5 hours ago, cubinator said:

Maybe something like ATLAST might be able to do it.

And why is Proxima Centauri labeled as a PALE red dot? It's not that pale.

10 minutes ago, fredinno said:

Maybe something like ATLAST might be able to do it.

And why is Proxima Centauri labeled as a PALE red dot? It's not that pale.

It's a reference to "Pale Blue Dot". Also, I have an idea for a 7th moon around Persephone/Tyche, working on it now:)

(Also, Proxima has almost no luminosity, other than infrared, which it has a lot of that)

Edited by Spaceception

On 1/16/2016 at 5:16 PM, Motokid600 said:

So realistically what I'd like to see is... Maybe a water world. Twice the size of Earth, no land mass and a thick atmosphere with a high ratio of oxygen.

Super-Laythe ftw.

On that note, didn't Earth's oxygen come from early life? Do we know of other ways to get a significant fraction of oxygen in an atmosphere, or are you saying you hope for a world with at least a cyanobacteria analogue?

1 minute ago, HebaruSan said:

Super-Laythe ftw.

On that note, didn't Earth's oxygen come from early life? Do we know of other ways to get a significant fraction of oxygen in an atmosphere, or are you saying you hope for a world with at least a cyanobacteria analogue?

Yup. We want life, we may not find it, but we can still dream:)

3 hours ago, Spaceception said:

It's a reference to "Pale Blue Dot". Also, I have an idea for a 7th moon around Persephone/Tyche, working on it now:)

(Also, Proxima has almost no luminosity, other than infrared, which it has a lot of that)

I wish I could fave you, but I'm out of points.

2 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Super-Laythe ftw.

We actually need O3, H2O, and CH4 in combination to be sure a place has life- O2 can be formed by solar wind breaking H2O, like on Venus.

Edited by fredinno

2 hours ago, Findthepin1 said:

I want to find a gas giant. I'd be pleasantly surprised. If there was a gas giant in the system we'd know about it by now. 

Not it was relatively far way, though. And it would likely be an ice giant of sorts.

Update!!

Is Proxima really attached to Alpha Centauri? http://www.centauri-dreams.org/?p=34851

Edited by Spaceception

4 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

We have actually found planets in the A-B-Proxima system! Alpha Centauri Bc. Not habitable though...

Alpha Centauri Bb (4 day orbit) (Likely doesn't exist) and Bc (13 day orbit) (Probably exists).,

No planets around Alpha Centauri A (As far as we know),

No planets around Proxima (As least for now).

3 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

Alpha Centauri Bb (4 day orbit) (Likely doesn't exist) and Bc (13 day orbit) (Probably exists).,

No planets around Alpha Centauri A (As far as we know),

No planets around Proxima (As least for now).

Well, the planets around Proxima and Centauri A don't quite matter, because the stars are in one triple system...

Edited by Matuchkin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.