Real Space Program [Need Launch Controllers] [Launch 1/14/17]

ZooNamedGames

6 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Make sure to use redundant retrothrusters for reentry.

There is RCS and a tiny service module, somehow packing 1.5 km/s of Delta-V. It uses the LMDE-J engine, and I use the Tantares one because it is very low profile.

4 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Wait so do I need the SM for all flights or just later ones?

Well, here is the CM download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2xuP2iNeyMhcHZZa1B1cXB4N2c/view?usp=sharing

Depends on whether the CM has enough life support for however many orbits we do.  How many are we planning to do?

43 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

There is RCS and a tiny service module, somehow packing 1.5 km/s of Delta-V. It uses the LMDE-J engine, and I use the Tantares one because it is very low profile.

I don't think you'll need the service module, it's just something which could go wrong. If you made an SRB retropack, with at least 2 (probably 3) small Procedural SRBs, we could probably run for the mission time on internal power and supplies. Also, if you make sure that each SRB fires through the COM, we won't have to worry about loss of orientation, only an offset thrust vector if one fails to fire.

Because we're using Test Flight, I want to keep the amount of mission-critical parts to a minimum. I also think that this should be a shorter mission, so maybe 6 orbits + launch+ time it takes to get from the orbit tracking point to the deorbit burn+ reentry.

@ZooNamedGames, I think we'll also need an EECOM for this mission, to keep track of consumables. @legoclone09, you might need to work with him or her to make sure that we can fit enough supplies in, and to get you the spacecraft's mass at the deorbit burn. Plan on giving it ~400m/s when nearly empty?

We should make a PM for us to work on the capsule without hijacking this thread or pinging the other members too much.

12 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

[...]

We should make a PM for us to work on the capsule without hijacking this thread or pinging the other members too much.

Could you include me in that PM thread?  It'll help me get an idea of when we'll be go for launch.

2 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

What's the name of the mission?

Project Scorpius.  The CM is named Independence 7. 

2 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Project Scorpius.  The CM is named Independence 7. 

1 minute ago, legoclone09 said:

Independence 7.

How about @Dman979, @CliftonM, @ZooNamedGames, and whoever else needs to work with me go onto IRC soon? I'll likely be on at around 7:00 PM PST because I have some homework to do.

Thanks!

How about:

5 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

Also, I need an exact list of objectives for the mission.

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I think we're just figuring out whether it's possible for us to keep a kerbonaut alive in space for a couple of hours.

OK.  So LEO?

Also, what is the exact time of the launch?  (In UTC)  Month-Day-Time

45 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

Also, I need an exact list of objectives for the mission.

1. Launch without blowing up...
  2. Fly around in space.
  3. Make pretty streaks of fire while reentering atmosphere...
  4. ...without blowing up.
  5. Land - without blowing up...

Sorry, couldn't resist.  :cool:

The goal is to get into a 350x350km orbit and stay there for 3 hours. After T+3h mark, I point retrograde and at T+3h5m, I fire retro rockets to return. I want to make sure the built in RCS can deorbit me should my retro rockets fail.

Also add a LES to the capsule so I can eject if need be. 

Lastly we need a Flight Activities Officer (FAO) and a EECOM to manage resources.

2 minutes ago, WellItExplodedAgain said:

Hello Zoo, I have just now got around to this thread. (Aka: playing too much with the SSTO's!!) and I was wondering if I could join in on the fun. I know that most roles are filled but I could help In some sort of ways. 

6 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

They started a second one

2 minutes ago, WellItExplodedAgain said:

Hello Zoo, I have just now got around to this thread. (Aka: playing too much with the SSTO's!!) and I was wondering if I could join in on the fun. I know that most roles are filled but I could help In some sort of ways. 

Well we need a Guidance Officer, Flight Activities Officer, and EECOM.

Just now, ZooNamedGames said:

Well we need a Guidance Officer, Flight Activities Officer, and EECOM.

And we'll need at least 5 more people to form the bottom two rows of the human pyramid, and two of them need to be able to throw me up in the air and catch me. Pom-pom skills not required, but would be appreciated.

I will see what my computer can handle. 4 gigs of ddr3 can only do but so much. And not to add the Intel i5 with only .5 gigs of dedicated graphics. I will do some tests. 

4 minutes ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

And we'll need at least 5 more people to form the bottom two rows of the human pyramid, and two of them need to be able to throw me up in the air and catch me. Pom-pom skills not required, but would be appreciated.

5 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Ehh. Stupid mobile phone. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.