Real Space Program [Need Launch Controllers] [Launch 1/14/17]

ZooNamedGames

Just now, Andem said:

So @CliftonM is the PAO, do you have a Press person? I would be more than willing to write statements after aborts/launches, etc. If that's something you guys want...

That will be up to my superiors, however I'd be glad to have you in the PA department!

15 hours ago, CliftonM said:

That will be up to my superiors, however I'd be glad to have you in the PA department!

Clifton, I think you should be able to make decisions for positions. You are experienced in the RSP and I think Zoo would feel the same way. @ZooNamedGames

Edited by WellItExplodedAgain
Forgot to add something.

15 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

So... did the mission go as planned?

Erm...

There was an extended burn on the second stage which put us into an eccentric orbit. Mission Control decided to abort, but the abort didn't go as planned, and the astronaut died. In a post-mission simulation (shown above), the crew was able to return the capsule safely to earth. We are investigating the accident now.

[MISSION RELATED] So, we have our first deceased Kerbalnaut. It has been reported that the Kerbalnaut did not die, but was recovered before the environmentals failed or were exhausted. @CliftonM: see, un-ninja'd :cool:

[NON-MISSION RELATED] This thread is getting hard to follow because of all the non-mission posts. I would like to ask that we begin using some bracket tags (as I have done in this post) so that it makes it easier to follow the mission related posts and scroll down past the posts that are not mission-relevant.

[IMAGE UPDATES] Here's the latest on what I am working on this week that's related to RSP:

• Patzer's requested images related to RSP will be up by tomorrow afternoon. I am working on another project right now and need to finish it first.
  • Have a couple of mission ribbons for the mod add-on for Final Frontier mod made by Nereid. On Monday, I will be ready to publish this mod and am trying to work out the bugs to make it compatible with CKAN. My goal is to have this mod up by Saturday and will include the ribbons AND flag packs based on RSP artwork. By using CKAN, as I add more images/ribbons/mission flags to it, you'll be able to get an updated pack.
Edited by adsii1970

1 hour ago, Dman979 said:

Erm...

There was an extended burn on the second stage which put us into an eccentric orbit. Mission Control decided to abort, but the abort didn't go as planned, and the astronaut died. In a post-mission simulation (shown above), the crew was able to return the capsule safely to earth. We are investigating the accident now.

Not correct.  That is indeed counting as the survival of our astronaut, as it happened, in real time, within the limit of time from life support. :wink: 

1 hour ago, WellItExplodedAgain said:

Clifton, I think you should be able to make decisions for positions. You are experienced in the RSP and I think Zoo would feel the same way.

In that case, @Andem, you've got the job.

Just now, adsii1970 said:

[MISSION RELATED] So, we have our first deceased Kerbalnaut.

Why couldn't you have waited a second before ninja'ing me. :P

To clear this up, that was indeed the successful recovery of our astronaut, however we're currently suspending manned launches for a bit.

43 minutes ago, WellItExplodedAgain said:

Clifton, I think you should be able to make decisions for positions. You are experienced in the RSP and I think Zoo would feel the same way. @ZooNamedGames

He can do a lot but we need someone to filter through the odd ideas. He is experienced but everyone's ideas are filtered.

18 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

He can do a lot but we need someone to filter through the odd ideas. He is experienced but everyone's ideas are filtered.

[NON-MISSION RELATED] As long as it doesn't involve showing my computer's limitations, I would not mind being a part of some committee that decides which missions to do, mission requirements, etc.

6 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

[NON-MISSION RELATED] As long as it doesn't involve showing my computer's limitations, I would not mind being a part of some committee that decides which missions to do, mission requirements, etc.

Do you think you want to join the mission planning team? It involves some math skills, and some understanding of orbital mechanics. You might also need to decide some things for the hardware team, such as how many restarts a stage would need. Also, you'd be working with @ILikeIke.

Edited by Dman979

16 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Do you think you want to join the mission planning team? It involves some math skills, and some understanding of orbital mechanics. You might also need to decide some things for the hardware team, such as how many restarts a stage would need. Also, you'd be working with @ILikeIke.

[NON-MISSION RELATED] @Dman979: I do have some basic math skills, as I did pass both college algebra and trigonometry (now what is 2 + 2 x 0 again?). As far as orbital mechanics, I am still a learning - work in progress so far. (I can get my own stuff in orbit without using MechJeb 2). I have checked a few books out from the local library to better understand (for personal reasons) why certain things work to achieve orbit (yeah, involved a couple of physics books, too, but I have not played with physics theories since high school)...

One of the biggest problems I might have is scheduling time for "real-time" messaging and the like...

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

Have a couple of mission ribbons for the mod add-on for Final Frontier mod made by Nereid. On Monday, I will be ready to publish this mod and am trying to work out the bugs to make it compatible with CKAN. My goal is to have this mod up by Saturday and will include the ribbons AND flag packs based on RSP artwork. By using CKAN, as I add more images/ribbons/mission flags to it, you'll be able to get an updated pack.

Sounds good!

[IMAGE UPDATE] As promised yesterday, here are the new images discussed yesterday. Please note these are the veteran images. There are more images available in the image repository I've set up.  If you do not see an image you need, let me know and I will be happy to accommodate you.

mDFvZkt.png?1  bZIqPza.png?1  3dgh6rO.png?1

I have a basic mod pack release of the stuff promised that can be used in the Kerbal Space Program. It contains a few flag files based on the final artwork created for both the Real Space Program and the Apollo Recreation Missions programs. All you have to do is to copy the folder named adsii1970 to your GameData folder. The ribbons require the Final Frontier mod to be able to use them.

As we continue to develop the RSP, there will be additions to the ribbons to celebrate milestones in the program. So... if you want to join in on the excitement, then this mod is for you.

Edited by adsii1970

So...

I was watching the Scott Manley lifestream and:

If it doesn't start at 8:43, it should.

He was asked about RSP.

Edit:

I just realized that that was Zoo...

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

So...

I was watching the Scott Manley lifestream and:

If it doesn't start at 8:43, it should.

He was asked about RSP.

yeah that was me. I also asked the questions at 24:50, 33:40 and I'm still rewatching to get the timestamps (not all of these are any way important or relevant to us, but maybe someone wanted to know "who the heck asked that question"?).

1 minute ago, KAL 9000 said:

Volunteering for backup EECOM if I can make it at a mission.

Hi KAL 9000!

We have been doing an internal review following the  SS-01 mission, so we'll put you on a list for now. We might want to do some training beforehand, so that new players can know what to expect.

Just now, Dman979 said:

Hi KAL 9000!

We have been doing an internal review following the  SS-01 mission, so we'll put you on a list for now. We might want to do some training beforehand, so that new players can know what to expect.

You can say what you like, but I am NOT a noob. That's @Kerbiter's job (no offense, but that's his title...)

Just now, KAL 9000 said:

You can say what you like, but I am NOT a noob. That's @Kerbiter's job (no offense, but that's his title...)

Noob? No, I don't think I said that. I meant that there are some expectations for mission control and flight planning, and it can be hard to understand them immediately without some sort of introduction to what we're doing. I'm sure you have a lot of experience with KSP, but this is very different from launching vehicles on your own and eyeballing it to orbit, and we want to make sure that you are fully prepared to plug and play as a Mission Controller.

34 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Noob? No, I don't think I said that. I meant that there are some expectations for mission control and flight planning, and it can be hard to understand them immediately without some sort of introduction to what we're doing. I'm sure you have a lot of experience with KSP, but this is very different from launching vehicles on your own and eyeballing it to orbit, and we want to make sure that you are fully prepared to plug and play as a Mission Controller.

Ah, ok. Sorry.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.