Real Space Program [Need Launch Controllers] [Launch 1/14/17]

ZooNamedGames

11 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

Is there any role in the backup mission controllers needed that does not require a mic ?

Aside from flight planner or assisting with code/mathematics, or making RSS/RO boosters, no. You require one of these things:

• Skype (so we can chat outside of the forum)(microphone not required while only discussing)(we typically only use the text chat portion unless in a launch).
  • Lots of time
  • Ability to do advanced college level math
  • Knowledge how to code in kOS.
  • Able to build boosters in a RSS/RO for us
  • Assist with Flight Planning and coordination

Having made this, I will add this to the OP.

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

[MISSION RELATED] What is the next mission going to be? Is it going to be a satellite, another Kerbaled orbiter, or space station component?

[MISSION RELATED]

It's going to be one of a few different things- either:

1. A geostationary communications sattilite
  2. Scorpius-Solaris 02
  3. Moon flyby and return probe
  4. Other proposed missions

One important consideration before any new launches is to update the game to 1.1.2, or the newest version of RO.

1 hour ago, Gaarst said:

Is there any role in the backup mission controllers needed that does not require a mic ?

In the backup mission controllers? I don't think so. However, FDO in particular might want some help planning orbital maneuvers. If you wanted to be on-station during a launch, I'm sure that he or she would love your help.

Also, we have a mission planning team, too. Talk to @ILikeIke if you're interested.

Edited by Dman979

5 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Scorpius-Solaris 02

Nope.  Remember that we aren't doing manned launches for a bit.

EDIT:

My 2000th post...right after the 2000th post on the thread...

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Aside from flight planner or assisting with code/mathematics, or making RSS/RO boosters, no. You require one of these things:

• Skype (so we can chat outside of the forum)(microphone not required while only discussing)(we typically only use the text chat portion unless in a launch).
  • Lots of time

Crap... does the mic, thing apply to me? I don't have a mic, and Skype always breaks after a couple minutes on my computer.

32 minutes ago, Andem said:

Crap... does the mic, thing apply to me? I don't have a mic, and Skype always breaks after a couple minutes on my computer.

Actually, you probably won't need one if all you're doing is writing press releases. A word of warning, though- make --> very sure <--not to get into roleplay. That is Verboten.

If your computer has a built-in mike, then that should be fine on Discord, which we used for the last launch. If you want to provide in-flight commentary with @CliftonM, that's what you'll use.

Edited by Dman979

19 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Actually, you probably won't need one if all you're doing is writing press releases. A word of warning, though- make --> very sure <--not to get into roleplay. That is Verboten.

If your computer has a built-in mike, then that should be fine on Discord, which we used for the last launch. If you want to provide in-flight commentary with @CliftonM, that's what you'll use.

Hmm... I don't think it does, but I'll certainly look up discord.

Aw, crap. I want to help, but as a matter of security I won't talk to you guys, but just use text, and I can't show my face either. So if you need a mic on or something to help, I'm sorry, but I can't :(. I hope you understand.

Just now, KAL 9000 said:

Aw, crap. I want to help, but as a matter of security I won't talk to you guys, but just use text, and I can't show my face either. So if you need a mic on or something to help, I'm sorry, but I can't :(. I hope you understand.

That's ok, we understand. Internet security is not a bad thing to be worried about.

13 minutes ago, KAL 9000 said:

I'm in you're boat, friend.Some scary stuff happened last time my real name was plastered on the internet, so I don't do face, audio, or anything like that.

BUT! It seems as if discord includes a chat function, so we could use that (potentially, depends on what the others decide).

2 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

• Lots of time

• I could do the Skype thing though I would prefer Discord (I can make an effort)
  • I don't have lots of time right now because of exams, but things should get better past next week
  • I can do maths, that's not a problem
  • I am really bad at kOS
  • I can build rockets
  • I probably can assist on stuff depending on what I need to do

@Dman979, about FDO thing, who do I need to contact ?

And for the planning team, @ILikeIke, could you explain briefly what you do and how I could help ?

I think you guys should have a launch commentator. Someone who does the countdown and talks about stuff regarding the rocket. I heard liftoff 6 different times on the last stream, you definitely need a launch commentator. I'm not up for it, find someone to do it.

@Kerbiter we have a Public Affairs Officer who's responsible for providing comments on live streams and videos. I have not yet seen the most recent launch attempt video since I was there so I'll have to take a look at it. 

@Gaarst because we haven't had to do orbital maneuvers yet we haven't had a whole lot of work to do in terms of flight planning. But what I and two other people I'm working with want to do is basically plan out maneuver nodes in advance of the entire flight, inasmuch as that's possible. FDO in my mind is responsible for keeping track of where our spacecraft have been, are, and where they're going and also monitor all OMS firings. 

Edited by ILikeIke

17 minutes ago, ILikeIke said:

@Kerbiter we have a Public Affairs Officer who's responsible for providing comments on livrstteams and videos. I have not yet seen the most recent launch attempt video since I was there so I'll have to take a look at it. 

@Gaarst because we haven't had to do orbital maneuvers yet we haven't had a whole lot of work to do omni terms of flight planning. But what I and two other people in working with want to do is basically plan out maneuver nodes in advance of the entire flight, inasmudh as that's possible. FDO in my mind is responsible for keeping track of where our spacecraft have been, are, and where they're going and also monitor all PMS firings. 

Well good for you. But at least you need only one person to say "liftoff".

OK please keep the topic title as is - even if we do not launch today. Keeping it will under no circumstances lead to some kind of confusion or frustration among readers. It also will not affect RSPs credibility - seriously - it won't...

This post does not contain irony or sarcasm and is meant to be understood literally. Seriously there is no irony...

2 minutes ago, something said:

OK please keep the topic title as is - even if we do not launch today. Keeping it will under no circumstances lead to some kind of confusion or frustration among readers. It also will not affect RSPs credibility - seriously - it won't...

This post does not contain irony or sarcasm and is meant to be understood literally. Seriously there is no irony...

Somehow I fail to believe the last statement you have made... :D

Edited by Andem

20 minutes ago, something said:

What?

4 minutes ago, the_pazter said:

can we change FDO to its real Apollo name, FIDO ( Fy-Doh) its a little more pleasant to the tongue than FDO

Really, FDO is the real name of it, and mission controllers still refer to it pronounced like FIDO.  No need for a change.

@Andem, @KAL 9000

The primary useofs  a microphone is used by mission controllers to communicate to each other during missions, the mission PAO to telecast the stream, and the Astronaut to speak to the CAPCOM. If you don't fit into these roles, the usage of vocal communication is completely optional. We use discord's built in chat client primarily during missions, but otherwise would use Skype for the majority of text communication. We use discord for all the mission controllers, with the CAPCOM and the Astronaut being on a separate VoIP utility.

Given your statements of not using a microphone, we have several groups that don't necessarily overlap with the above, though due to our membership some of our members serve multiple roles. That said, we can always use more hardware (payload/launch vehicle) developers, software developers (using kOS), press corps (press report releasers), and mission planners (flight trajectory and geometry nerds). Feel free to contact @ZooNamedGames if you're interested in any capacity.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.