New space module?!

Arugela

If this is the new module when will or when did old johny take it up for it's test flight?! And is that what the government has been hiding this whole time?!

Maybe that is what all the blackhole research has been about in the last decade.

Edit: maybe now we will get a better way to dock ships in cargo bays. Or put them in to begin with! 8)

Edited by Arugela

Dream Chaser's been publicly in development by Sierra Nevada Corporation for awhile now. It competed as part of Nasa's Commercial Crew Transport Capabilities program, but was eventually dropped in favor of the Dragon V2 and Dreamliner offers from SpaceX and Boeing. This didn't stop SNC from continuing development on their own however, and although subject to delay its initial unmanned test flight is planned for November 2016, launching from Kennedy Space Center on top of an Atlas V rocket. 

The cargo version of Dream Chaser has already won a NASA contract through the Commercial Resupply Services 2 program (CRS-2), and is guaranteed a minimum of six flights booked for the program. It's mainly a bit cuter smaller, has fold-able wings for fitting inside a payload fairing on ascent, and has something akin to a "trailer" that burns up on re-entry. So that version at least will certainly fly, though time will tell if the crewed version ever sees the light of day. 

so this thread has prompted me to make a "DreamChaser" (except mine's called NightmareEscaper), all stock parts but with some tweakscaling.  Still WIP; in the drop test (cough hyperedit cough) stage of testing it's reentry, glide and landing from orbit.  Yes it has some major tank clipping going on, but half the tanks are empty.

duoT75O.jpg2BWjetg.jpg

Still have to strap it so something rockety and then deal with the problems of putting something wingy on the top of something rockety (past experience has shown that to be... "interesting").  

In my hunting around for more footage of the real one I came across this vid (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgdFotAkUEU) which shows one of it's drop tests.  At the end she says "while there was an anomaly with left landing gear deployment...." as you see it coming into land without the left gear down at all!!  But the vid cuts off before it actually touches down :( 

It did show a key aspect of its design though....fuzzy dice hanging in the cockpit!! 

8 hours ago, Aloriel said:

I can't help but think that looks a lot like Farscape 1...

I think one of the videos said this was planned along time ago to go in the shuttles. The farscape one may have been based on it. Or an ad for nasa to help get the idea to the public or something(Or bring it back up again). Not sure when it was designed. Maybe it matches up or someone on the show just liked it in general. It was shot from the normal shuttle at the beginning of the shows first episode. I would imagine it may not be a coincidence.

Edited by Arugela

23 hours ago, DarthVader said:

It'll never fly.

NASA's ordered at least six flights for CRS-2, so...

9 hours ago, Aloriel said:

I can't help but think that looks a lot like Farscape 1...

The basic shape is from NASA's HL-20 design from the 80s, it predates farscape by over a decade.

Edited by Kryten

23 hours ago, Dib said:

Dream Chaser's been publicly in development by Sierra Nevada Corporation for awhile now. It competed as part of Nasa's Commercial Crew Transport Capabilities program, but was eventually dropped in favor of the Dragon V2 and Dreamliner offers from SpaceX and Boeing. This didn't stop SNC from continuing development on their own however, and although subject to delay its initial unmanned test flight is planned for November 2016, launching from Kennedy Space Center on top of an Atlas V rocket. 

You mean the Starliner? I think the Dreamliner refers to the Boeing 787

On 1/22/2016 at 8:45 PM, Arugela said:

If this is the new module when will or when did old johny take it up for it's test flight?! And is that what the government has been hiding this whole time?!

Maybe that is what all the blackhole research has been about in the last decade.

Are you trying to be funny or did you really only discover DreamChaser today?

It's not blackhole research. It's been under development for over 20 years under various forms. Just because you haven't been following the news doesn't mean that it's covert.

Do some wikipedia reading.

The one thing I hate about the Dream Chacer: Sierra Nevada sent a cease and desist to the makers of what's now the Dreamer mod. (they had to change the name because of it)

9 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

The one thing I hate about the Dream Chacer: Sierra Nevada sent a cease and desist to the makers of what's now the Dreamer mod. (they had to change the name because of it)

Why? That's like Nintendo Let's Play logic there,

2 hours ago, Nibb31 said:

Are you trying to be funny or did you really only discover DreamChaser today?

It's not blackhole research. It's been under development for over 20 years under various forms. Just because you haven't been following the news doesn't mean that it's covert.

Do some wikipedia reading.

IT WAS A JOKE ABOUT FARSCAPE. IT WAS NOT INTENDED TO BE TAKEN LITERALLY!! So , yes I was trying to be funny. AS I AM RIGHT NOW!!

In farscape that is how the series started. It's about a guy doing a test in that type of module and he is launched by the space shuttle then he gets sucked into a black whole that is generated near earth from his actions(or radiation depending on how you want to look at it.). The government looking for him is to some extent part of the show even though it is a bit of a background thing.

You know, OMG, a major astronaut in a televised mission is missing in space. Where did he go!!!

Edited by Arugela

7 hours ago, Arugela said:

IT WAS A JOKE ABOUT FARSCAPE. IT WAS NOT INTENDED TO BE TAKEN LITERALLY!! So , yes I was trying to be funny. AS I AM RIGHT NOW!!

I've never heard of Farscape, whatever it is, so maybe that's why I didn't get the "joke".

5 hours ago, Nibb31 said:

I've never heard of Farscape, whatever it is, so maybe that's why I didn't get the "joke".

Farscape is sci-fi series running from 1999 to 2003, it began with a spacecraft that looks similar to the Dream Chaser, inadvertently flying into a Wormhole. With the protagonist in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlHr1V2uX8I

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.