The Official Realism Overhaul Craft Repository.

Okay, i sort of want to test the new ITS (aka BFR) but that would be too complicated and big so im going to build a small drone ship that descends almost like the real thing. Coming soon!

You know, someone got to test a spacecraft in KSP/RO/RSS before it flies for real, thats the golden rule!

Just now, DrLicor said:

@NSEP, what parts are you planning to use for the construction of your BFR?

Mostly procedural tanks and wings, a 1 meter avionics unit and a RL10 engine (maybe several more). Im going small remember. I dont know what RCS engine im going to use but i will likely use Nitrogen. Its not really for going to Mars or anything, just to try it out and i will maybe make a real bigger one later.

Don't know if Deadly Re-entry is going to like this, i might disable that mod to make it work.

3 hours ago, Julien Kerman said:

I am glad you like it :) 

BTW, you know what I'm thinking? A modified first stage for the AT7c in which there are 8 LRBs that are part of the main fuselage and the central engine is removed. Like the real life Proton, but more similar to the R7 in looks.

7 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

BTW, you know what I'm thinking? A modified first stage for the AT7c in which there are 8 LRBs that are part of the main fuselage and the central engine is removed. Like the real life Proton, but more similar to the R7 in looks.

Sounds interesting, but I decided that I wont build a new rocket for this series. BTW, I will release part two of my RP0 launch vehicles soon. 

Here we go! My RP0 launch vehicles - part two:

Part one on page 11

---> "Titan" Series:

nfiC2SS.jpg

(A Titan 3E launches the Voyager 1 probe)

Titan 23G:

Spoiler

rQRudmK.jpg

First stage: LR-87-3 (1900kN)

Second stage: LR-91-3 (440kN)

This is the smallest vehicle of this series. I used it to launch small ScanSats.

Titan 3A

Spoiler

VnGZCGQ.jpg

Basically a Titan 23G with a 3rd stage.

Payload to LEO: max 4 tons

Titan 3B

Spoiler

titan3b.jpeg

I never built this due to insufficient payload size (the agena was only 1.5m in diameter)

Titan 3C

Spoiler

uWKasob.jpg

The 3C was actually a 3A with two additional UA1205 solid boosters (5340kN each) 

I launched the multiports of my space station on this rocket:

ECMvMgh.jpg

Max payload: 13 tons

Titan 3D

Spoiler

D3FpqCh.jpg

Basically a Titan 3C without the 3rd stage. The perfect launcher for big ComSats (max 11 tons) to LEO.

Titan 3E

Spoiler

j2uheNY.jpg

The Titan 3E was similar to the 3D, but it had an additional centaur stage inside the fairing. 

My most launched variant. It is perfect for small moon lander probes or rovers. Payload: 15 tons (LEO) // 3,9 tons (Mars) // 1.5 tons (Jupiter) // 0.3 tons (Pluto)

Titan 34D

Spoiler

trQH11z.jpg

An upgraded Titan 3D (bigger boosters [5300kN     ----->   6220kN] & better engine thrust and ISP)

It is one of my newer rockets, so only 2 launches.

Titan 4A

Spoiler

NU5DM24.jpg

It features even better boosters (7100kN) and can get 18 tons to LEO.

No launches yet, I just built it today :)

Titan 4B

Spoiler

I dont have the boosters yet, but I will build one as soon as I unlock them ^^ .

---> "Saturn" Series:

s5IFKPj.jpg

(A Saturn V MLV lifts the 200 ton Venus station into orbit)

Saturn I

Spoiler

saturn-sa-5.jpeg

I dont have a picture, but it could get around 10 tons to LEO. I launched it maybe 3 times.

Saturn IB

Spoiler

X8hthA2.jpg

My most launched (at least 20 times) variant. It was the perfect vehicle to get the Apollo CSM to my space station.

Saturn IC

Spoiler

sFHlcTw.jpg

This one did not exist in real life. It is an upgraded Saturn IB. Entirely new first stage (4x E-1 [upgraded version with 2098kN thrust] and J-2S engine on the second stage [better ISP and thrust] )

It beats the old IB in every category: Thrust, TWR, cost, deltaV, payload and build time.

Saturn V

Spoiler

NqesXEJ.jpg

Of course I have the Saturn V :cool: It launched all crewed moon missions, heavy ComSats to Mars and Probes to Uranus & Neptune

Saturn C-8

Spoiler

qWqnGLd.jpg

8 x F-1A engines in the first stage (9100kN each)

8 x HG-3 engines in the second stage (1400kN each)

1 x HG-3 engine in the third stage (also 1400kN)

I launched it today for the first time, it carried a Lander probe for Callisto.

Another launch is scheduled to get the Crew to my Venus station in T-200 days.

Saturn V MLV

Spoiler

3jzSWeT.jpg

This giant monster can get 200 tons to LEO. It is a Saturn V with F-1A & HG-3 engines, extended tanks, removed 3rd stage and additional UA1563 solid boosters (14000kn each)

If you are interested and want to learn more you can have a look at my "what did you do today" post:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/27292-what-did-you-do-in-ksp-today/&do=findComment&comment=3169508

Edited by Julien Kerman

33 minutes ago, John FX said:

I can't seem to find the links in your post for your craft @Julien Kerman

Isn't this thread a repository, not a showcase?

Nice craft though

It's quitte a showcase. Links are not included in the posts often. 
I think that's also mainly because RO crafts are much more complicated with mods etc.

Edited by DrLicor

1 hour ago, John FX said:

I can't seem to find the links in your post for your craft @Julien Kerman

Isn't this thread a repository, not a showcase?

Nice craft though

Yeah,  @DrLicor is right. I usually dont provide them due to highly complex installs with lots of mods.

Nevertheless you guys here are always allowed to ask me for craft files or which mod adds a specific part.

But it is NOT my turn to help you with missing mods, problems with your installation or broken saves.

I want to go back and make some cool launchers.

The BFR was not a great succes, the spaceship can not turn upright for landing, the RCS is too underpowered and it rips apart right above the coulds.

So, yeah, everyone's doing BFR and stuff and seeing how big they can make rockets, but I thought I'd go the other direction.

The smallest orbital rocket in real life is, in theory, the SS-520-4 at around 2600kg. It has a useful payload of around 3kg. Unfortunately, it failed in its first and only attempt to reach orbit.

Now, I had one design that was about 1t and had 10km/s of Delta-V but it used the Star-37 as the first stage. Unfortunately, that has a pretty bad sea level specific impulse and wouldn't work. If I could tweak the nozzle, it would have gotten to orbit...

However, what I did come up with... I present to you, the Solid Miniature Angled Lateral Launcher 1, or S.M.A.L.L. 1.

TSozA36.png

On the launch pad it weighs about 1900kg not counting the launch clamps. Like the SS-520-4, it has four stages, all solid fueled, and has a useful payload basically nothing except an empty  booster shell. I mean, you might be able to stick a few grams worth of paper notes on it... Maybe 200g?

Anyways, this is in RP-0, so I have only done one launch so far. Like the SS-520-4, it was a failure, but unlike the SS-520-4 SMALL-1 technically made orbit.

IrYlPjM.png

Liftoff! The first stage is a procedural solid rocket booster. Unfortunately, because of this, the specific impulse and mass ratios are abysmal. However, there was not a normal SRB that fit my needs so I had to bite the bullet and use the 230ns procedurals. This stage has control, however, with four movable winglets. These get the ship onto the optimal trajectory. On the first flight an error was made which caused the rocket to pitch down much farther than usual.

2cF53Vn.png

Beauty shot.

lN4q2f2.png

A closer view, mostly another beauty shot.

HyRc4zk.png

Beauty shot with the moon.

Sorry for all of the beauty shots. There's a reason I'm splurging, it's because due to Earth's axial tilt I've had to launch everything on the night side for the past third of a year in game (I've been launching a lot in that time) and this was the first non-ecliptic (is that the right word?) launch in a long time, and therefore the first daytime launch in a while.

After about a minute, the first stage burns out. The second stage, an Altair II if I recall correctly, ignites immediately afterward.

l0C3bwa.png

At this point the rocket was angled about 45 degrees. It should have been about ten degrees higher. It was this that led to the failure of the mission.

z6Q8uow.png

cYmqNAf.png

The fairings are jettisoned shortly after the burnout of stage two. The final two stages are visible here, a Star 17 and a Baby Sergeant. These two stages fire at apogee. Usually apogee would be 150-160km. However, the apogee attained by the first flight was only 119km. RO ends the atmosphere at 140km.

3vUO8Wc.png

The tiny RCS system onboard spins the ship up in preparation for the apogee burn. Unfortunately, an oscillation in the spin up process led to the rocket facing below prograde.

eGrsRm8.png

The last two stages have incredibly high TWR.

RP6zKLb.png

The last stage is unguided, the avionics equipment being located on stage three to save mass.

And...

OW09nQ0.png

Unfortunately, the perigee is at 95km. Even though the apogee is at 3300km, the orbit still intersects the atmosphere (even by the IRL definition of 100km). It's technically in orbit and could have gotten to orbit with a different ascent profile.

So, I wasted four hours on that...

@Ultimate Steve, no you didn't waste the hours, you did a pretty impressive job man. Everyone can build rockets in RO, but these are the real challenges. 

I think I'll try it later. :) also, did you know that the Procedural boosters are upgradeable. In the VAB go to the actiongroup tab, click on the SRB and there will popup a menu, just as when you configurate a RCS. In that menu you'll be able to upgrade the level of the SRB. (when unlocked the right tech nodes :).

5 hours ago, DrLicor said:

@Ultimate Steve, no you didn't waste the hours, you did a pretty impressive job man. Everyone can build rockets in RO, but these are the real challenges. 

I think I'll try it later. :) also, did you know that the Procedural boosters are upgradeable. In the VAB go to the actiongroup tab, click on the SRB and there will popup a menu, just as when you configurate a RCS. In that menu you'll be able to upgrade the level of the SRB. (when unlocked the right tech nodes :).

So that's where it is... I was trying to go by the right click menu where all the other engines are upgraded...

Many thanks! Improved version coming soon!

Might as well share my Orani series of lifters:

OWUjBkA.jpg

It's my first comparison, so sorry for the bad graphics.

Also, I need halp designing lifters for my  mun landing in my personal save (not in me and @NSEP's space race, I am not cheating). My maximum lifter

needs to carry 85 tons to LEO, its a multiple launch Earth Orbit Rendezvous mission.

Edited by LordOfMinecraft99

10 minutes ago, LordOfMinecraft99 said:

OWUjBkA.jpg

This was made in KVV, right? A quick question, is there a feature in KVV that lets you take screenshots to the same scale, or did you have to rescale them manually later?

10 minutes ago, LordOfMinecraft99 said:

OWUjBkA.jpg

Also, I need halp designing lifters for my  mun landing in my personal save (not in me and @NSEP's space race, I am not cheating). My maximum lifter

needs to carry 85 tons to LEO, its a multiple launch Earth Orbit Rendezvous mission.

For heavy lifters, i recommend using Liquid Hydrogen and Liquid Oxygen as fuel along with SRB's, a little bit like the SLS.

7 minutes ago, LordOfMinecraft99 said:

What do you think about Methane and Liquid Oxygen?

It has been regarded as the fuel of the FUTURE So I use it on all the big launchers.

Hmmm, yes. Do you have a mod that adds in a Raptor engine? Raptors have a very high ISP, use Methane and Oxygen, have multiple ignitions and are PERFECT for heavy lifters and even SSTO's

Okay, more RP-0 KVV views!

Yesterday I did Mu, today I did my heavier rocket series, Gravity.

ClKBhnv.png

There was also just plain Gravity I, but it only flew once and I couldn't open the craft file without the game crashing. The Gravity I series could originally take 30t to LEO (GI and GIA) but can now take 60t thanks to upgrades (GIB) and I might make a GIC depending on how things go. GII was only launched twice because it seemed like a good idea at the time (first ever hydrolox stage, reused hardware) but it could only take about 10t to orbit and the Mu series quickly surpassed that at lower cost (I think). Gravity III is my Saturn V analogue, sporting 5 F-1 engines on the first stage (but 4 of them are strap-ons). It is heavier than Saturn V but due to lower technology (first moon landing in 1963-ish if I recall correctly) it had a smaller capacity to orbit. Of the 12 built, 2 were test flights, 3 were manned lunar landings, 5 were used to build the lunar space station, and the last two will be used to finish the station.

Gravity IV is basically a Gravity IB with a hydrolox core stage and 4 kerolox boosters instead of 2. It can get upwards of 90t into LEO. So far it has only flown four times, all for large interplanetary probes.

Low quality comparison of Mu and Gravity:

yaKWQIi.png

Again, I expected the height difference to be greater.

EDIT: Gah, wrong thread. The post before this was in the what did you do in KSP today thread, but technically this is still relevant to this thread so I'll leave it. Sorry.

Edited by Ultimate Steve

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.