[1.8.x+] Strategia [v1.8.0] [2019-10-22]

nightingale

36 minutes ago, nightingale said:

First off, I want to say that I'm very hesitant to give too much science, as I don't want to make it too easy to go through the tech tree (although having CTT installed does change this dynamic too).  I'm also a strong believer in the idea that science in KSP should mainly come from "doing science", which is why a lot of the Science strategies work by giving the player an economic incentive to do something that will get them more science through experiments (see "To Boldly Go").  Actually, something that would work well with that mindset would be giving early access to higher tier experiments (I'll have to keep that in mind for the next release.

I also want to say that I really, really dislike the "change currency X into currency Y" strategies of stock KSP (and was one of the main motivations for writing this mod).  Of course, there's the issue that science is useless once tech is all researched, but I think turning science into funds is a poor solution.

I agree with you entirely on the currency-exchange of the stock strategies, and the slightly different options you've got in Strategia do make it far more fun. I'm hopeful you'll come up with something for people who are optimizing for science. I personally set my science return value down to 60% - I use DMagic and it just gives a ton of science, My next serious career will likely go even further in reducing science return,

I wonder, is it possible to unlock parts from a tech node without unlocking the node itself? An interesting strategy mechanic might be to get more advanced parts than you'd normally be able to get, before the node itself is unlocked.

LOL...you twerk @nightingale?

You were right, it is throwing exceptions. I know what they say but have no idea what they mean, so I will share my log. They all say this though:

InvalidCastException: Value is not a convertible object: System.String to Vessel

https://www.dropbox.com/s/84f6voyhs0kss6q/output_log.txt

I am definitely not getting any of the awards I should be getting for the strategies, that is very clear now. For some reason I assumed all strategies were one time deals; you had to active them every mission you wanted them...because they are always gone when I return and check.

Edited by KocLobster

35 minutes ago, ibanix said:

I wonder, is it possible to unlock parts from a tech node without unlocking the node itself? An interesting strategy mechanic might be to get more advanced parts than you'd normally be able to get, before the node itself is unlocked.

Indeed it is, and that's exactly what I'm thinking.

20 minutes ago, KocLobster said:

LOL...you twerk @nightingale?

You were right, it is throwing exceptions. I know what they say but have no idea what they mean, so I will share my log. They all say this though:

InvalidCastException: Value is not a convertible object: System.String to Vessel

https://www.dropbox.com/s/84f6voyhs0kss6q/output_log.txt

I am definitely not getting any of the awards I should be getting for the strategies, that is very clear now. For some reason I assumed all strategies were one time deals; you had to active them every mission you wanted them...because they are always gone when I return and check.

Thanks, fixed it for next release.  In the meantime, load up your save and find "validVessel" (it should be in a section called OrbitWeightBonus).  Delete that line.  The error occurs if you load a save with a vessel on the launch-pad or in flight, so if you do that you *might* run into it again.  I'll try to get out the release sometime in the next week.

I like the idea of this mod, but it is too imbalanced imho. My second career vessel, a very rudimentary craft within the first 3 nodes of CTT, which is capable of a Mun flyby, gives me a whopping 500k of funds because of the Mun program's 400% to milestones. 

Edited by hendrack

10 hours ago, nightingale said:

Thanks, fixed it for next release.  In the meantime, load up your save and find "validVessel" (it should be in a section called OrbitWeightBonus).  Delete that line.  The error occurs if you load a save with a vessel on the launch-pad or in flight, so if you do that you *might* run into it again.  I'll try to get out the release sometime in the next week.

You're very welcome. I am surprised to learn that I wasn't the cause of the problem; also surprised to learn that I helped bring a bug to light. Glad I could help.

I am having a hard time understanding exactly what you mean. I assumed you meant to load up my persistent file in my save. I did that, and the document didn't contain either validVessel or OrbitWeightBonus in it. What file exactly are you talking about?

In the rather small Finances-2-MassiveLaunches.cfg there are these lines:   

Spoiler

EFFECT
    {
        name = OrbitWeightBonus

funds 
        {
            1 = 40000
            2 = 100000
            3 = 250000
        }
            2 = 25
            3 = 50
        }
        mass
        {
            1 = 20
            2 = 75
            3 = 250
        }
    }

This is the only instance of OrbitWeightBonus that I am aware of, and deleting that definitely isn't the right thing to do; the problem is with all strategies, not just this one.

So do you mind being a bit more specific about exactly where and what file it is you're talking about that I need to edit?

Edited by KocLobster

11 hours ago, hendrack said:

I like the idea of this mod, but it is too imbalanced imho. My second career vessel, a very rudimentary craft within the first 3 nodes of CTT, which is capable of a Mun flyby, gives me a whopping 500k of funds because of the Mun program's 400% to milestones. 

If you're able to do a Mun flyby on your second career vessel with only three nodes unlocked I'd say you're fairly experienced at this game, and would rather take those funds then spend a dozen missions grinding out surveys or something.

That being said, since most player would just say "more funds = better", I'd like to hear more feedback.  Given that that 500k can only get you so far on building upgrades and the milestones are one-shot I don't think it's crazy unbalanced.  What do you feel would be a more appropriate modifier?  Do you feel the 100k you'd get from stock is also too much?  Just right?

3 hours ago, KocLobster said:

You're very welcome. I am surprised to learn that I wasn't the cause of the problem; also surprised to learn that I helped bring a bug to light. Glad I could help.

I am having a hard time understanding exactly what you mean. I assumed you meant to load up my persistent file in my save. I did that, and the document didn't contain either validVessel or OrbitWeightBonus in it. What file exactly are you talking about?

In the rather small Finances-2-MassiveLaunches.cfg there are these lines:   

Reveal hidden contents

EFFECT
    {
        name = OrbitWeightBonus

funds 
        {
            1 = 40000
            2 = 100000
            3 = 250000
        }
            2 = 25
            3 = 50
        }
        mass
        {
            1 = 20
            2 = 75
            3 = 250
        }
    }

This is the only instance of OrbitWeightBonus that I am aware of, and deleting that definitely isn't the right thing to do; the problem is with all strategies, not just this one.

So do you mind being a bit more specific about exactly where and what file it is you're talking about that I need to edit?

Yup, I did mean the persistence file.  If you don't have that, it means the Strategy isn't currently active.  And yes, that one issue could easily affect all strategies (because if it fails to load it can put all the strategies into a bad state).

I'll try to get the fix out ASAP, but the way I've made the change it's actually dependent on something in Contract Configurator, and I'm holding off releasing that because RemoteTech is making a mess of things with changes in its pre-release build...  basically I'm just gonna need to sit tight and wait for things to clear themselves up a bit.

12 minutes ago, nightingale said:

If you're able to do a Mun flyby on your second career vessel with only three nodes unlocked I'd say you're fairly experienced at this game, and would rather take those funds then spend a dozen missions grinding out surveys or something.

That being said, since most player would just say "more funds = better", I'd like to hear more feedback.  Given that that 500k can only get you so far on building upgrades and the milestones are one-shot I don't think it's crazy unbalanced.  What do you feel would be a more appropriate modifier?  Do you feel the 100k you'd get from stock is also too much?  Just right?

The combination of 400% on milestones is quite heavy.

There are a couple of things to unlock to get a career going:

• VAB level 2, to have more than 30 parts (225.000 upgrade)
  • launch pad level 2, to have a craft more than 18 tons (75.000! upgrade)
  • tracking station level 2, for maneuver nodes (150.000)
  • mission control level 2, to have 7 contracts and spam advance income (75.000)
  • = 525000

After that, Mun landing wasn't difficult. Lets make a Minmus flyby now and I can unlock R&D level 2. 

Mind, this is just my opinion, and the mileage may vary depending on skill level and mods used. Please do not take this as criticism, just as food for thought. I personally play with DMagic and 50% science modifier, so science is my main progression bottleneck in career mode. 

I'd like to read what the other players think. Perhaps this doesn't need tweaking and I am just abusing the game too much. After 1.1 is somewhat stable I'll probably start career again and just tweak the income slider in difficulty options. :D

I did what you suggested but haven't found what you're talking about. It simply doesn't exist. There is no validVessel in the whole persistence file. I was able to find the OrbitWeightBonus, but it was not anywhere near a validVessel (because there is no such thing), and there was nothing to obviously delete that would fix the issue at hand.

Here is the code if you're interested:

Spoiler

SCENARIO
    {
        name = StrategySystem
        scene = 7, 8, 5, 6
        STRATEGIES
        {
            STRATEGY
            {
                name = MassiveLaunches2
                date = 19159712.7598656
                factor = 0.6666667
                EFFECT
                {
                    name = OrbitWeightBonus
                }
            }
        }
    }

I guess in the meantime, at least until you fix this bug, I will uninstall this and use the other custom strategies mod I used to use before this.

So I guess this means none of the strategies work? If that's the case, how come nobody has mentioned this before? I'm kind of confused why only I seem unable to use this mod. It clearly works for everyone else, right?

9 minutes ago, KocLobster said:

I did what you suggested but haven't found what you're talking about. It simply doesn't exist. There is no validVessel in the whole persistence file. I was able to find the OrbitWeightBonus, but it was not anywhere near a validVessel (because there is no such thing), and there was nothing to obviously delete that would fix the issue at hand.

Here is the code if you're interested:

Hide contents

SCENARIO
    {
        name = StrategySystem
        scene = 7, 8, 5, 6
        STRATEGIES
        {
            STRATEGY
            {
                name = MassiveLaunches2
                date = 19159712.7598656
                factor = 0.6666667
                EFFECT
                {
                    name = OrbitWeightBonus
                }
            }
        }
    }

I guess in the meantime, at least until you fix this bug, I will uninstall this and use the other custom strategies mod I used to use before this.

So I guess this means none of the strategies work? If that's the case, how come nobody has mentioned this before? I'm kind of confused why only I seem unable to use this mod. It clearly works for everyone else, right?

See below:

14 hours ago, nightingale said:

The error occurs if you load a save with a vessel on the launch-pad or in flight, so if you do that you *might* run into it again.

So it needs that condition, plus MassiveLaunches to be active.  If it's not currently active or you haven't done a quicksave while landed/before hitting orbit, then you should be okay.  If you hit the error and strategies are cancelled, you're also okay (other than the loss of strategies).

22 minutes ago, nightingale said:

See below:

So it needs that condition, plus MassiveLaunches to be active.  If it's not currently active or you haven't done a quicksave while landed/before hitting orbit, then you should be okay.  If you hit the error and strategies are cancelled, you're also okay (other than the loss of strategies).

Ahh okay that makes a bit more sense. The problem is that I always load the game and have vessels in flight. I have multiple flights en-route to different destinations just because of my particular play-style.

I also constantly am quicksaving/quickloading. So because of these two things, I basically just need to completely avoid the massive launches strategies, just until the next update, right? Everything else will work fine?

Thanks again for your help and time :)

4 minutes ago, KocLobster said:

Ahh okay that makes a bit more sense. The problem is that I always load the game and have vessels in flight. I have multiple flights en-route to different destinations just because of my particular play-style.

I also constantly am quicksaving/quickloading. So because of these two things, I basically just need to completely avoid the massive launches strategies, just until the next update, right? Everything else will work fine?

Thanks again for your help and time :)

Correct, if you avoid that strategy (or avoid quicksaves when launching with it active) you should be 100% fine.  If you do end up using it and doing a quicksave, then you'd need to do the hack I described (and doing so would make your ship ineligible for the strategy).

I'm not 100% sure it is a Strategia bug, but I haven't noticed it before. When you recover a vessel with a kerbal (or just a single kerbal on EVA), even if it didn't fly, you always receive a reputation boost (+15). So if you do a lot of tests in KSC, very shortly you will have sky-high reputation.

Strategia throws null exceptions when I am in R&D and do something, sometimes KSP freezes and I have to restart.

[EXC 13:27:53.397] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	Strategia.CurrencyPopup.OnGUI ()

2 hours ago, hendrack said:

Strategia throws null exceptions when I am in R&D and do something, sometimes KSP freezes and I have to restart.

[EXC 13:27:53.397] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	Strategia.CurrencyPopup.OnGUI ()

Not sure what the freeze is about, but the exceptions are fixed in the next release (will be out soon, hopefully).

Not sure if this was covered before, but I just added this mod into a previous career save and I would like to accept one of the mun strategies, but can't since I've already done a flyby of the mun. My question is how can I reset that parameter in my save file? Where does Strategia look to see if you've done this before?

40 minutes ago, Holmes said:

Not sure if this was covered before, but I just added this mod into a previous career save and I would like to accept one of the mun strategies, but can't since I've already done a flyby of the mun. My question is how can I reset that parameter in my save file? Where does Strategia look to see if you've done this before?

It looks in the stock progression tracking (ProgressNode, I think is what you need to look for in the save file).  You'd have to hack those, but I don't have the details handy (pretty much just deleting any entries for Mun).  Make sure to make a backup first. :)

Hi, I installed the mod into my new career, and when I entered the administration building I had only two strategies available (both uncrewed). I can not accept them, cause the requirements are super high for the beginning of the career. I already have 500 reputations, updated launchpad, mission control and tracking station, but there still nothing changed in the Strategia.  Is it normal, do I need to do something else to get more strategies?

30 minutes ago, Mad_Scientist said:

Hi, I installed the mod into my new career, and when I entered the administration building I had only two strategies available (both uncrewed). I can not accept them, cause the requirements are super high for the beginning of the career. I already have 500 reputations, updated launchpad, mission control and tracking station, but there still nothing changed in the Strategia.  Is it normal, do I need to do something else to get more strategies?

Not normal, typically means an exception occurred.  I'll need to see a KSP.log to debug.

13 hours ago, garwel said:

I'm not 100% sure it is a Strategia bug, but I haven't noticed it before. When you recover a vessel with a kerbal (or just a single kerbal on EVA), even if it didn't fly, you always receive a reputation boost (+15). So if you do a lot of tests in KSC, very shortly you will have sky-high reputation.

I've noticed this as well, although I can't get in game to confirm it right now. Perhaps there's another mod causing the reputation gain per recovery?

Guys, i cant scroll down and select some of the strategies. What i am doing wrong?

http://postimg.org/image/hg1l6p96f/

Known issue. Quoting nightingale on this:

On 4/24/2016 at 0:17 AM, nightingale said:

Totally a stock bug.  I've got something raised on the tracker somewhere, and I owe @NathanKell some more time trying to find the root cause, but haven't been able to do that yet.  I may also just have to implement some sort of workaround (more departments), but I'd like to spend some more time seeing if I can at least figure out what the underlying issue is before going down that path.  It's also possible to see this without adding planets if your resolution is lower than 1080p (I forget how much lower it has to be before its an issue).

Edited by ibanix

15 hours ago, nightingale said:

Not sure what the freeze is about, but the exceptions are fixed in the next release (will be out soon, hopefully).

Cool I just came to report this NRE :) but I see you've already seen it.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Strategia.CurrencyPopup.OnGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Edited by ExEvolution

6 hours ago, Box of Stardust said:

I've noticed this as well, although I can't get in game to confirm it right now. Perhaps there's another mod causing the reputation gain per recovery?

I uninstalled Strategia and it still happens, so obviously something else. I suspect FinalFrontier. Will report to @Nereid.