Kerbal Stuff Closed to the public

Rigel Agar

3 minutes ago, TMS said:

In the time it takes for your new mod to be approved on CurseForge, you could probably resurrect KerbalStuff single-handedly.

Current average is <5 mins for mod approval, very few mods are so complex that they take more than 20 mins to check.

About the only time you'll see delays in approval time:

- Holidays - some of our employees like spending time with families, so there's usually only 2 of us to cover holidays.

- The person on shift (10 hr shifts) goes to take a quick restroom break, comes back in 5 mins to find 50 new files - tends to delay things while catching up

- The project creator didn't upload a file. We can't even see projects until there is a valid file attached

Disclaimer: I work for Curse. They pay me. I am employed by Curse to administrate forums and review mods from all the games we host. I do not speak for Curse, I am just a admin/reviewer.

3 minutes ago, technicalfool said:

More likely we'll just delete the offending posts and/or wag an admonishing finger at the people suggesting such things.

If that would finally be the consistently enforced policy, I would be so happy.

7 minutes ago, technicalfool said:

[...]

So between 5 minutes and an hour?

I don't understand. When Apple take days to approve and make available a new app for their app store, people are largely in favour of this and say it's a step against crapware and viruses.

But if Curse do it, it's evil incarnate?

If curse incorporates a "store" element allowing the sale of mods, I m open for discussion regarding this.

But if not it is damned apples vs cursed oranges.

edit for playing with words

Edited by Yemo

2 minutes ago, Yemo said:

If curse incorporates a "store" element allows the sale of mods, I m open for discussion regarding this.

But if not it is apples vs oranges.

So just host on Github or Dropbox.  No approval needed, no user's jimmies rustled, and you get versioning.

E: I mean, seriously, if dudes are flummoxed by a potential hour wait time then they've got their priorities wrong.

Edited by regex

3 minutes ago, Yemo said:

If curse incorporates a "store" element allows the sale of mods, I m open for discussion regarding this.

But if not it is apples vs oranges.

It's providing a free service with the potential for distribution of malware. It's quite a good comparison really, especially as a great number of App Store apps are free.

2 minutes ago, Eskandare said:

Did you guys place buts on us? LOL

I'm sure you already have at least one of those.

2 minutes ago, Camacha said:

If that would finally be the consistently enforced policy, I would be so happy.

All depends. This thread's still very much alive. I'd rather rout out one misbehaving poster than shutter an entire active thread, unless the entire thread is going South fast.

I don't think we're there yet.

5 minutes ago, Yemo said:

If curse incorporates a "store" element allowing the sale of mods, I m open for discussion regarding this.

But if not it is damned apples vs cursed oranges.

edit for playing with words

So you'd rather have those mods just uploaded, entirely unchecked, with not even a cursory examination?

Frankly I'd rather Curse get some serious gear in and provide the ability to upload a source+assets tree, have them autocheck it Apple-style for common malware patterns, and compile the mod on Curse's machines, against one or more tickboxed versions of KSP. It might take a little longer for mods to be approved, but given everybody here is understandably scared about downloading malware from Curse, wouldn't you like a little delay while new uploads are checked?

I'm away this week to focus on an exam and a thesis deadline, but I did want to come over real quick to express my thanks to @SirCmpwn for hosting and maintaining KerbalStuff for the past year and a half. The website was amazing, and you could easily see the amount of time, effort and love that he put into it for everyone's benefit. It's sad to see the website go.

We never got involved with the website, it was set up as a community alternative to our official mod hosting partner, Curse. If people were wondering, we were not contacted with the request to help with Kerbalstuff either. I don't agree with a lot of what Sircmpwn wrote on the website, the legal action he refers to was (to my best knowledge) an inquiry into the nature of the website, since Squad's trademark was used in the name. When Sircmpwn's goals for the website became clear, we quickly saw that no legal action should be sought. We have not pursued action against any other community website that uses the term Kerbal in its name either. All this, though, is water under the bridge and not important right now.

Thank you Drew for the work that you put in, the community should be ever grateful for that. I hope that a successor to KerbalStuff will find a way to break-even on operational costs in the long term.

Edited by KasperVld
I stated the same thing twice. Blame a tired brain.

2 minutes ago, KasperVld said:

I'm away this week to focus on an exam and a thesis deadline, but I did want to come over real quick to express my thanks to @SirCmpwn for hosting and maintaining KerbalStuff for the past year and a half. The website was amazing, and you could easily see the amount of time, effort and love that he put into it for everyone's benefit. It's sad to see the website go.

We never got involved with the website, it was set up as a community alternative to our official mod hosting partner, Curse. It was meant to be an alternative to what we offered after all. If people were wondering, we were not contacted with the request to help with Kerbalstuff either. I don't agree with a lot of what Sircmpwn wrote on the website, the legal action he refers to was (to my best knowledge) an inquiry into the nature of the website, since Squad's trademark was used in the name. When Sircmpwn's goals for the website became clear, we quickly saw that no legal action should be sought. We have not pursued action against any other community website that uses the term Kerbal in its name either. All this, though, is water under the bridge and not important right now.

Thank you Drew for the work that you put in, the community should be ever grateful for that. I hope that a successor to KerbalStuff will find a way to break-even on operational costs in the long term.

Well Said KasperVld, and Squad as a whole.

10 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Amazing how something like this brings out the worst in people.

In some. What I see though is a lot of thanks and support expressed towards @SirCmpwn, even if belatedly, and the community banding together to try find a solution. I'd counter that it brings out the best in people (and we can argue on the sideline on the ratios :wink:).

1 minute ago, swjr-swis said:

In some. What I see though is a lot of thanks and support expressed towards @SirCmpwn, even if belatedly, and the community banding together to try find a solution. I'd counter that it brings out the best in people (and we can argue on the sideline on the ratios :wink:).

You are as correct as I am, and not going to quibble over ratios

1 hour ago, McPoisoned said:

I'd be really disappointed if Squad doesn't post an official statement because of this, they ignored Kerbalstuff for way too long imo.

Well, we can do the "Will-It-Happen?" test to find out!

The most points, the less likely!

1. Is it a community request? Check. -10

2. Do many people support it? Check. -10

3. Does it get much attention? Check.  -10

4. Is the company you're requesting to SQUAD? Check. +1000

Yep, not happening.

Just now, Aperture Science said:

Well, we can do the "Will-It-Happen?" test to find out!

The most points, the less likely!

1. Is it a community request? Check. -10

2. Do many people support it? Check. -10

3. Does it get much attention? Check.  -10

4. Is the company you're requesting to SQUAD? Check. +1000

Yep, not happening.

I do love your post here, 4 posts below mine ;)

25 minutes ago, KasperVld said:

We never got involved with the website, it was set up as a community alternative to our official mod hosting partner, Curse. If people were wondering, we were not contacted with the request to help with Kerbalstuff either. I don't agree with a lot of what Sircmpwn wrote on the website, the legal action he refers to was (to my best knowledge) an inquiry into the nature of the website, since Squad's trademark was used in the name. When Sircmpwn's goals for the website became clear, we quickly saw that no legal action should be sought. We have not pursued action against any other community website that uses the term Kerbal in its name either. All this, though, is water under the bridge and not important right now.

Props for the answer. ;)

Dont understand why it's so tempting to make drama out of everything.

I'll also chime in and thank SirCmpwn for his tireless and thankless work on Kerbalstuff. It's a great loss for the community, but I understand his motives, as the feedback received when modding is pretty similar at the end of the day. Thank you for all the time and energy you've invested in it. Hopefully it won't have been in vain and someone will be able to pick up where you've left.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.